Windows 10: Why, Microsoft?! Updates Break Network Sharing Over & Over & Over Win 10 Pro 1809

Discus and support Why, Microsoft?! Updates Break Network Sharing Over & Over & Over Win 10 Pro 1809 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; This is more of a rant than anything else, but if anyone has suggestions, I'm all ears. Unless & until MS fixes whatever it is in the Cumulative... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by No IDLady, May 23, 2019.

1. No IDLady Win User

Why, Microsoft?! Updates Break Network Sharing Over & Over & Over Win 10 Pro 1809

This is more of a rant than anything else, but if anyone has suggestions, I'm all ears. Unless & until MS fixes whatever it is in the Cumulative Updates that breaks permissions, I'd love a simple guaranteed way to quickly resolve this on my end.

In the name of all that's holy, why on earth does every Cumulative Update (64-bit Win 10 Pro 1809) break network sharing?!?!?! Homegroups was removed over a year ago and I successfully got past that Pauli G's excellent instructions.

I can't say it's happened with every Cumulative Update since then but it has with many of them. The cumulative update hits one computer & breaks sharing with the others. And so forth with each computer as the update hits. It's beyond infuriating & I haven't found a sure fire simple way to fix the broken sharing without a bazillion attempts (un-sharing everything, resharing again, nope, wash, rinse repeat until some magical combo happens) & a bazillion restarts, which of course results in a lot of lost productivity.

To be clear, what happens is the other computers remain accessible, and files & folders can be opened from other computers. However, attempting to save the file back to its original network location, or attempting to move files from one computer to another fails.

Here's a screenshot:

Why, Microsoft?! Updates Break Network Sharing Over & Over & Over Win 10 Pro 1809 874dfbcd-08ad-42b9-aede-22417387d6b4?upload=true.jpg

Sorry I couldn't resize.

As you can see, the "More details" is greyed out. So helpful!

Nothing changed other than the Cumulative updates - what gives?!?! Why does this keep happening over & over & over again with the Cumulative Updates, which happen at least monthly?!

TIA is anyone is listening,

:)

No IDLady, May 23, 2019
  2. EdTittel Win User

1809 breaks network browsing?

Sorry for your troubles. I'm not sure what to suggest next, except perhaps the "Shared Folders" troubleshooter under the Network and Internet heading. May not do much good, though (I think it works by doing automatically what you've already tried manually). Worth a try, perhaps?

Why, Microsoft?! Updates Break Network Sharing Over & Over & Over Win 10 Pro 1809 [​IMG]

HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, May 23, 2019
  3. Cr00zng Win User

Thanks Ed...

This is a small office and cannot try it during the day, but will try when schedule permitting. It's certainly worth a shot....

If it doesn't work, I'll just wait for the PC that hosts the shares to be updated to version 1809, it's been restored via Macrium to 1803. People in the office can access the share with UID/PWD, so it's not urgent for them...

Cr00zng, May 23, 2019
  4. Cr00zng Win User

Why, Microsoft?! Updates Break Network Sharing Over & Over & Over Win 10 Pro 1809

I tend to disagree... On a small network the master browser refresh shouldn't take long. In my case, 4-6 hours should have been sufficient for refreshing the master browser list. Also, up to version 1709 feature update, there had been no issues with shared resources; viewing the network shares was instantaneous after the feature update. There had been no changes required in network setting and/or resetting the network.

The first sign of issues showed up with version 1803 and version 1809 made it even worse. At least for now, the version 1809 PC can browse the network shares hosted on version 1803 PC, rolled back from 1809.

In all fairness, this is probably well know changes for experts in this forums with appropriate tutorial posted for resolution. My encounter with these issues is due to the fact, that these systems had been updated to version 1803 couple of weeks ego and accidentally updating to 1809 this week.

Cr00zng, May 23, 2019
Thema:

1. Why, Microsoft?! Updates Break Network Sharing Over & Over & Over Win 10 Pro 1809 - Similar Threads - Why Microsoft Updates

2. Share Folders over network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Share Folders over network: How do I prevent two or more persons to open the same file simultaneously on a share folder between computers. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/share-folders-over-network/ec7229cb-8df6-4c92-ba1b-ff860c0fecfe
  3. Share Folders over network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Share Folders over network: How do I prevent two or more persons to open the same file simultaneously on a share folder between computers. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/share-folders-over-network/ec7229cb-8df6-4c92-ba1b-ff860c0fecfe
  4. Share Folders over network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Microsoft Defender Antivirus repeatedly updates over and over and over, repeatedly

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Microsoft Defender Antivirus repeatedly updates over and over and over, repeatedly: Microsoft Defender Antivirus - KB2267602 1.375.1243.0 repeatedly downloads and installs. It goes to 100% again and again and again and again and again. It never stops.The Windows Update Troubleshooter has been trying to analyse the problem for a while. Meanwhile, Windows...
  6. 100% disk usage over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    100% disk usage over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and...: It happens over and over and over and over. I do everything you folks tell me, and everything else I find on the internet. It still happens over and over and over and over and over. You can't fix it on your end OR tell us a fix? Who do we ask, if not the people who make the...
  7. Password protected sharing over Network sharing

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Password protected sharing over Network sharing: How can we turn on password protected sharing over Network sharing,thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/password-protected-sharing-over-network-sharing/635517ef-5d29-4e18-80f5-43c8896e6ac9"
  8. Win 10 ate my Desktop, over and over and over and over and.....

Win 10 ate my Desktop, over and over and over and over and.....: the 5/14 W10 Home update installed on Wednesday 5/15. Since that time, every reboot causes my entire desktop to reset, including the taskbar. All icons are gone except Win defaults (Recycle, Edge, etc.), same with taskbar. Edge comes up with the initial new user screen as...
  9. Windows 10 1809 - PDF's printing over and over

Windows 10 1809 - PDF's printing over and over: We have Windows 10 1809 installed, the latest Adobe Reader and Richo network printers. What we have found is that when sending "some" PDFs it will print over and over but not all the pages. Random pages and each one appears as it's own print job. This happens when using...
  10. Network sharing not working over WiFi but works over wired.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network sharing not working over WiFi but works over wired.: Hello, I have some laptops and computers in my office. Suddenly out of the blue today, network sharing has stopped working on WiFi devices but is working fine on wired devices. Why is this happening? I didn't change any setting. I tried restarting the router and laptops...