Windows 10: WHY MSR PARTITION IS CREATED WHILE INSTALLING WINDOWS 10

Discus and support WHY MSR PARTITION IS CREATED WHILE INSTALLING WINDOWS 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; what is MSR partition? I visited Wikipedia website https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Reserved_Partition , I seen 128MB will created for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by RAJU.MSC.MATHEMATICS, Oct 4, 2018.

1. WHY MSR PARTITION IS CREATED WHILE INSTALLING WINDOWS 10

what is MSR partition?

I visited Wikipedia website

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Reserved_Partition ,

I seen 128MB will created for msr partition , but in my laptop I manually created 16MB .

Now my question is , why Microsoft recommends create only 16MB for msr ?

I visited below website for answer , but I failed to get details

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...configure-uefigpt-based-hard-drive-partitions

thanks for reading my post

:)

RAJU.MSC.MATHEMATICS, Oct 4, 2018

2. Installing Windows Vista/7 on a GUID Partition Table

I've never tried multiple partitions so this is a shot in the dark...

At step #10, I would try setting the size parameter (it is in mebibytes) to how large you want the partition windows is installed on to be, then go ahead and install windows. This will leave the rest of the drive raw instead of consuming it into the OS partition (C drive). Once you successfully boot into Windows, you should be able to use Computer Management -> Disk Management to create partitions in the raw space.

If you really wanted to do it with diskpart before Windows is installed, you basically repeat the following lines making sure to specify a size if you don't want it to consume all remaining space:
    • create partition primary size=size in mebibytes here
    • format quick fs=ntfs label="appropriate name here"
    • assign letter=C thru Z here
    Obviously, you can use quick formatting or leave it out for full format. Leave off the size parameter when you reach the final partition that should consume all the remaining space. Also remember that the order you do this in goes from the outside of the disk (where it is fastest) to the inside of the disk (where it is slowest). Because of this, it is recommended to put EFI (e.g. size=300), then MSR (e.g. size=300), then Windows (e.g. size=30000), then Applications (e.g. size=70000), then Storage (e.g. no size parameter).

If I'm right, the above example would look like this:
    • diskpart
    • list disk
    • select disk <id>
    • online disk
    • attributes disk clear readonly
    • clean
    • convert gpt
    • create partition efi size=300
    • create partition msr size=300
    • create partition primary size=30000
    • format fs=ntfs label="Windows"
    • assign letter=C
    • create partition primary size=70000
    • format fs=ntfs label="Applications"
    • assign letter=D
    • create partition primary
    • format fs=ntfs label="Storage"
    • assign letter=E
    • exit

FordGT90Concept, Oct 4, 2018
  3. wyocoyote Win User
    Windows 10 install fail-can't be installed on the partition

AR

Arvind Ram replied on

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

You can resolve this error by creating a Microsoft Reserved Partition (MSR), however there are inherent risks involved when creating MSR partitions. If done improperly, it may cause the disk to become unreadable. If you
    do not feel comfortable following the steps for creating an MSR partition, you may wish to wait until the next build.

To create an MSR partition:

• 1.Open a command prompt as an administrator

• 2.Run diskpart.exe

• 3.Type the command: List Disk

• Note how many disks are listed, and then follow the steps listed in the appropriate section below.

If only 1 disk is shown:

• Type the command:

List volume

• Find the volume listed in the Info column as the Boot volume (typically the C drive) and note the number of the volume.

• Run these commands:

Select volume X (where X is the volume number noted in the previous step)

Shrink desired=50 minimum=40

Create partition msr

• To verify that the partition is created, run the command:

List partition

5. Then exit diskpart or close the command prompt.

If you have 2 or more disks, it gets more complicated. In order to make space for the MSR, we need to search Disk 0 for a partition that Diskpart is able to shrink:

• Type the commands:

• Select disk 0

• List partition

• Select partition 1

• Detail partition

• Within the details, look to see if this partition is Letter C and/or if it is an NTFS partition. If it is, proceed to Step 3 below to shrink the partition. If not, check the next partition:

• Select partition 2

• Detail partition

• And continue in this manner until you find that the partition you’ve selected is Letter C and/or NTFS.

• Type the commands:

• Shrink desired=50 minimum=40

• Create partition msr

• To verify that the partition is created, run the command:

• List partition

• Then exit diskpart or close the command prompt.

You can also verify that the partition is created by running Disk Management (by typing diskmgmt.msc into the Search box and pressing Enter). The MSR partition should appear at the end of the disk.

Hope this helps.

You found this helpful

• WHY  MSR  PARTITION IS  CREATED WHILE INSTALLING WINDOWS 10 [​IMG]

WI

williamaher replied on

I did everything you said. Received this reply: "MSR and EFI partitions only supported on GPT disks Convert disk GPT and try again"
    Be the first person to mark this helpful

• WHY  MSR  PARTITION IS  CREATED WHILE INSTALLING WINDOWS 10 [​IMG]

DA

DaMau replied on

I am having the exact same issues, both the original issue and subsequent issue following the directions to create the MSR partition.

wyocoyote, Oct 4, 2018
  4. W1zzard Win User

WHY MSR PARTITION IS CREATED WHILE INSTALLING WINDOWS 10

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Oct 4, 2018
Thema:

WHY MSR PARTITION IS CREATED WHILE INSTALLING WINDOWS 10

1. WHY MSR PARTITION IS CREATED WHILE INSTALLING WINDOWS 10 - Similar Threads - WHY MSR PARTITION

2. How to create a recovery partition while performing a clean installation of Windows 10 pro?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to create a recovery partition while performing a clean installation of Windows 10 pro?: Hello.I was having some issues with Windows, so I performed a clean installation of Windows 10 pro, using installation media created with Dell's OS recovery tool. But with this installation, the recovery partition was not created. I have used Dell's OS recovery tool on few...
  3. How to create a recovery partition while performing a clean installation of Windows 10 pro?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to create a recovery partition while performing a clean installation of Windows 10 pro?: Hello.I was having some issues with Windows, so I performed a clean installation of Windows 10 pro, using installation media created with Dell's OS recovery tool. But with this installation, the recovery partition was not created. I have used Dell's OS recovery tool on few...
  4. Missing MSR partition

Missing MSR partition: I have performed a new installation (with new motherboard, processor and SSD) of Windows 10 Professional (from an installation USB created today using the Download Tool on the Microsoft website). The installation appeared to go smoothly, but only the primary partition...
  5. Win 10 1903, DiskPart command 'convert gpt' automatically creates an MSR partition at the...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 10 1903, DiskPart command 'convert gpt' automatically creates an MSR partition at the...: Tired of running out of space in the recovery partition and get windows image shadow copy error 0x80780119, I was just trying out the script to prepare the GPT partitions for windows 10 installation, but rather than using WinPE I just used the DiskPart command on a running...
  6. Issues with MSR Partition

Issues with MSR Partition: Hi all, I'm trying to update Windows 10 (build 1809) to the latest build 18890 in 20H1. I'm getting errors stating that it can't write to the system reserved partition, which I am aware was deleted some time ago. I haven't had any problems with Windows until this. Attached...
  7. How to move Windows 10 MSR partition

How to move Windows 10 MSR partition: I have a Chuwi dual boot tablet I upgraded to Win 10 Pro 1709 that fails to upgrade to 1803 - not enough room. Online at Chuwi I found directions to successfully remove the android install and freed up 10.65 GB, but it is now before the Win 10 MSR partition that I can't move...
  8. Create a partition before installing Windows 10?

Create a partition before installing Windows 10?: I always created a partition on a wiped drive before installing Windows Vista, 7, or 8/8.1, because otherwise an extra partition was created. Now I'm going to install Windows 10 on a wiped drive. Is it best to create a partition before installing or allow Windows to manage...
  9. How to set MSR partition in a prepared unallocated partition ?

How to set MSR partition in a prepared unallocated partition ?: How to set MSR partition in a prepared unallocated partition of a GPT partitioned disk ? display shown by a partition software; [img] After RE partition 128 MB unallocated partition is already prepared, as one can see its status is none How to set and specify it as...
  10. No MSR partition after converting from MBR to GPT a while back?

No MSR partition after converting from MBR to GPT a while back?: [img] [img] Hi there! First post on these forums. I got this new laptop a few months ago and had to install Windows 10 manually as it didn't come with an OS. At the time, I ran into some kind of installation issue that only let me proceed if I installed using MBR...