Windows 10: Why Multiple explorer.exe processes running?

Discus and support Why Multiple explorer.exe processes running? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Win 10 Pro 64bit. From time to time I see 2 or more explorer.exe processes running (viewed via task manager). The owner of them is me. I have no idea... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by larrymcg, Apr 30, 2016.

1. larrymcg Win User

Why Multiple explorer.exe processes running?

Win 10 Pro 64bit. From time to time I see 2 or more explorer.exe processes running (viewed via task manager). The owner of them is me. I have no idea when or why they get started. I have been taking note of the PID of the first explorer process after starting my system. Then if I see more than one I just kill the others. I've experienced no issues after killing the extras.

Is it normal to have multiple explorer.exe processes running? What they might be used for?

Is there a way to see the process tree (parents, children, etc.)?

Thanks,
    Larry

:)

larrymcg, Apr 30, 2016

2. Multiple suspended explorer.exe processes

Hi,

If you are experiencing multiple suspended explorer.exe processes, we suggest that you perform a clean boot in your computer.

A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows 10. You may also troubleshoot
    or determine what conflict is causing the problem by performing a clean boot.

To perform a clean boot follow the link below:

Windows 10 Clean Boot

Let us know what happens.

Anthony Cato, Apr 30, 2016
  3. ExcelJedi Win User
    Multiple suspended explorer.exe processes

I have recently bought a MSI laptop, a GS63VR gaming laptop. When I launch the task manager I see multiple instances of the suspended explorer.exe processes.

Is there any way to fix this?

This is happening on Windows 10 64bit home edition.

Why Multiple explorer.exe processes running? [​IMG]

ExcelJedi, Apr 30, 2016
  4. Mystere Win User

There will always be at least one running, and that's the default desktop shell. That's what displays the taskbar, icons on the desktop, and start menu.

When you open one instance of File Explorer, then you will see two instances. Open another and there will be three, etc...

Unless you are talking about Internet Explorer (which is iexplorer.exe) in which case one instance is opened per tab you have open, plus an instance for the UI Shell.

Mystere, Apr 30, 2016
  5. larrymcg Win User
    I'm talking about explorer.exe, not iexplorer. I find that no more explorer.exe processes come into existence when I start one or more File explorers.
    -- Larry

larrymcg, Apr 30, 2016
  6. Mystere Win User
    That's strange. There's a setting under Folder Options->View->Launch Folders in a separate process which defaults to on. This setting should make each new explorer window open in a separate process, but doesn't seem to do that anymore.

Mystere, May 1, 2016
  7. larrymcg Win User
    Win10 (at least mine) does not have Folder Options. It has File Explorer Options (which looks a whole lot like Folder Options from Win7).
    Under the View tab there is an option to launch folder windows in a separate process. That option is not checked.

-- Larry

larrymcg, May 1, 2016
  8. Mystere Win User

Notice the name of the dialog, it says "Folder Options". The default is for that to be checked. It doesn't seem to do anything either way.

Mystere, May 1, 2016
  9. Process Hacker or Process Monitor

There are 2 options to run multiple explorer, one can be done only via reg, maybe enabled by some software?

All instances of Windows Explorer run in one process and the Desktop and Taskbar run in a separate process
    reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer" /v "DesktopProcess" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f

Launch folder windows in a separate process
    reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" /v "SeparateProcess" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f

I see second , when I open Control Panel, when file explorer is opened, it keeps it opened for some time.

TairikuOkami, May 1, 2016
  10. larrymcg Win User
    Here is what my Win10 Pro system has:

If I search for "Folder", File Explorer Options is what shows up. Interesting that the same OS looks different in different installations, but that doesn't have much to do with the original issue! *Smile
    --Larry

larrymcg, May 1, 2016
  11. larrymcg Win User
    Well, I'm thinking this query is not going to be answered so I'll mark it solved since I don't see an option to mark it otherwise.

-- Larry

larrymcg, Nov 5, 2016
  12. Berton Win User
    May was a few months ago. Mine looks much the same but there may be a bit of difference between the Pro and Home versions.

Berton, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Why Multiple explorer.exe processes running? - Similar Threads - Why Multiple explorer

2. Multiple Host Process saying 'access denied' in Process Explorer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multiple Host Process saying 'access denied' in Process Explorer.: What does this mean exactly? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/multiple-host-process-saying-access-denied-in/4a275550-eeb7-4895-910b-f10e22279e40
  3. Multiple Host Process saying 'access denied' in Process Explorer.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Multiple Host Process saying 'access denied' in Process Explorer.: What does this mean exactly? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/multiple-host-process-saying-access-denied-in/4a275550-eeb7-4895-910b-f10e22279e40
  4. Multiple Host Process saying 'access denied' in Process Explorer.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Windows explorer run in the same process

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows explorer run in the same process: I have win11 22H2 and windows explorer doesn't run in separate process.I have enable the "Launch folder windows in a separate process" in Folder Options > View.In addition the value in registry is...
  6. Windows explorer run in the same process

Windows explorer run in the same process: I have win11 22H2 and windows explorer doesn't run in separate process.I have enable the "Launch folder windows in a separate process" in Folder Options > View.In addition the value in registry is...
  7. why have no name .exe running?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why have no name .exe running?: I usually use the habit of not installing pirated software, always keep the firewall and windows defender open.But one day when I shut down my computer, I found that my computer might be running a .exe file without a name, I tried to find the file from the job manager, but I...
  8. why have no name .exe running?

why have no name .exe running?: I usually use the habit of not installing pirated software, always keep the firewall and windows defender open.But one day when I shut down my computer, I found that my computer might be running a .exe file without a name, I tried to find the file from the job manager, but I...
  9. why have no name .exe running?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  10. Why do I have so many explorer processes running

in Windows 10 Support
    Why do I have so many explorer processes running: I often have a whole bunch of explorer processes running. I expect just one. Or maybe an extra one for each explorer window that I have opened. But right now I have none opened ... and yet there are eight explorer processes running. What's up with that? 115984
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why multiple windows explorer tasks