Windows 10: Why my icons are displayed on my external monitor rather than on my main laptop display

Discus and support Why my icons are displayed on my external monitor rather than on my main laptop display in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello, Recently I noticed that all my icons are in the external monitor, however in the past it has never happened. They were always on my main... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by IvayloBozhinov, Aug 5, 2020.

1. Why my icons are displayed on my external monitor rather than on my main laptop display

Hello,

Recently I noticed that all my icons are in the external monitor, however in the past it has never happened. They were always on my main laptop display I am not sure how to return them on my main display laptop display usually they are there or if on the external monitor they are also in the laptop display, but now they are only on my external monitor. Windows 10 - > 1909

:)

IvayloBozhinov, Aug 5, 2020
  2. giardap Win User

Main & external displays switched

Hello,

I have a Lenovo laptop running as my main display and a 24" external monitor for my extended display. I frequently do presentations and have one coming up this week. I went in this morning to run through it and my main and external displays have switched screens. My external monitor now has my main display icons on it and my laptop screen has no icons. The screwy thing is that the laptop screen shows as being the main display in Display settings, but it is not showing the main display icons. Any ideas on how I can fix this?

Thanks.

giardap, Aug 5, 2020
  3. sharath V Win User
    Icons not moving when Switching from laptop display to external main display (Win 10)

Windows 10

I have Dell 5520 Laptop with 4k display on it. I have a 1080p HP monitor that i extend the display to. I connect to external display through Dell dock.

I am running both of them at their full resolutions. Main monitor is HP display

The problem happens when i connect the dock cable. The icons from my laptop display do not move to my main display, external monitor. I have used the same setup on windows 7 with no issues.

Let me know how can the icons move from laptop display to external monitor(main display) automatically.

sharath V, Aug 5, 2020
  4. Why my icons are displayed on my external monitor rather than on my main laptop display

Main & external displays switched

Weird things can happen if you set your main display to be an external plugged into a laptop. Then boot up with that external display off or disconnected. Windows "should" then set the laptops built in display as Main. It also has to do with the monitor. Some are still detected if plugged in but turned off. Some are MIA if just turned off but still plugged in.

On my desktop PC I run triple monitors. I can boot up with them all off, then turn them on and all is fine. The only time things get changed is if I unplug the video cable to one of them.

On my laptop my second display is USB DisplayLink. If I don't plug the USB cable in my laptop automatically switches to PC Only mode. If it is plugged in on boot up it automatically switches to Extend with my laptops built in screen as Main.

I don't put any tiles on my Desktop. I do everything either from my taskbar or Start Screen. One thing that can happen, either by accident or on purpose, is your Taskbar can be moved from monitor to monitor. I can put mine on any one of my three displays. That will make it look like its the main monitor when its not. Especially if your only displaying your taskbar on one monitor. I display mine on all three, but with all icons only on the main. My secondary diplays only show the Icons for what is running on that display on their taskbars.

Why my icons are displayed on my external monitor rather than on my main  laptop display [​IMG]

alphanumeric, Aug 5, 2020
Thema:

Why my icons are displayed on my external monitor rather than on my main laptop display

1. Why my icons are displayed on my external monitor rather than on my main laptop display - Similar Threads - Why icons are

2. My external monitor constantly steals display from my laptop display, then disconnects...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My external monitor constantly steals display from my laptop display, then disconnects...: It's a brand new monitor Dell U4021QW. I;m fairloy sure my Intel Iris Plus graphics doesn't support the full resolution in anything but 30hz, but my assumption is it's try 60hz and failing because i got a warning on the monitor about input timings. but i just can't change it...
  3. My external monitor constantly steals display from my laptop display, then disconnects...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My external monitor constantly steals display from my laptop display, then disconnects...: It's a brand new monitor Dell U4021QW. I;m fairloy sure my Intel Iris Plus graphics doesn't support the full resolution in anything but 30hz, but my assumption is it's try 60hz and failing because i got a warning on the monitor about input timings. but i just can't change it...
  4. External Monitor Couldn't Display From My Laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Monitor Couldn't Display From My Laptop: Hi, I've a problem.I've connected my displayport from my laptop through thunderbolt adaptor but my external monitor shows that there isn't any signal.My laptop detected the monitor but the monitor doesn'tCan someone help to fix my problem?Thanks...
  5. External Monitor Couldn't Display From My Laptop

External Monitor Couldn't Display From My Laptop: Hi, I've a problem.I've connected my displayport from my laptop through thunderbolt adaptor but my external monitor shows that there isn't any signal.My laptop detected the monitor but the monitor doesn'tCan someone help to fix my problem?Thanks...
  6. How to display app icons on the taskbar of my external monitor, designated as main display?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to display app icons on the taskbar of my external monitor, designated as main display?: I use an external monitor as my main display, with the laptop screen as the secondary. But the application icons nearly all appear only on the taskbar of the secondary laptop display. Can I get those icons to appear on the main external display instead? Thanks!...
  7. How to display app icons on the taskbar of my external monitor, designated as main display?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to display app icons on the taskbar of my external monitor, designated as main display?: I use an external monitor as my main display, with the laptop screen as the secondary. But the application icons nearly all appear only on the taskbar of the secondary laptop display. Can I get those icons to appear on the main external display instead? Thanks!...
  8. How to display app icons on the taskbar of my external monitor, designated as main display?

9. display is larger than my monitor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    display is larger than my monitor: I'm having a problem where my display is larger than my monitor.. How can i fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/display-is-larger-than-my-monitor/70f54546-51c2-4328-b9cf-3d6c2b702d92
  10. Can't make external monitor main display

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Can't make external monitor main display: I have an Acer Aspire ES-15 Win 10 laptop and an external Hanns-G monitor which i would like to make the main display. I go to SETTINGS > DISPLAY and there is a tickbox that says "MAKE THIS MY MAIN DISPLAY" This is the option i want, however the tickbox is greyed out and i...