Windows 10: Why my 'Music' folder and 'Pictures' folder under This PC change their locations together

Discus and support Why my 'Music' folder and 'Pictures' folder under This PC change their locations together in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I want to move all folders(Videos, Music, Download, Music, Documents, Desktop) under This PC which are in my D: disk to E: disk. So I right-clicked... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ZLake1, Aug 31, 2019.

1. ZLake1 Win User

Why my 'Music' folder and 'Pictures' folder under This PC change their locations together

I want to move all folders(Videos, Music, Download, Music, Documents, Desktop) under This PC which are in my D: disk to E: disk. So I right-clicked each folder and selected property, moved to location tab, change its value to the E: disk path.

This method ran well for Videos, Download, Documents, Desktop folder. But it went wrong when I tried to move Music and Pcitures folders. These two folders change their locations together. When I modify one folder's location, the other also changes. They point to the same folder and have the same name!

I have tried some ways:

1. Deleted and re-added the values in Windows Registry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\{3dfdf296-dbec-4fb4-81d1-6a3438bcf4de}]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\{24ad3ad4-a569-4530-98e1-ab02f9417aa8}]

2. Restored the default libraries.

3. Restored default settings of the folder's location.

4. Changed the folder Properties - Customize - Optimize this folder for Pictures or Music.

However, no method works.

Anyone can help me for this?

Thanks, Lake.

:)

ZLake1, Aug 31, 2019
  2. Nicrite Win User

Vista Ultimate - 'User' Folder Location

No tried that.

Can copy the entire folder to D; but Windows still points to C as the location. Can change personal folders location to a folder on D;, but this still leaves hidden files etc on C;. Thus meaning there are 2 Users folders. Have managed to change the Public folder location to D;, with some registry tweaks, but this doesnt seem to work for the entire folder.

any more suggestions

Nicrite, Aug 31, 2019
  3. mrgeek Win User
    Correct Directory Location For Pictures Folder

"Now Documents, Videos etc say file location is This PC. But Pictures file location is C:\Users\PeteyBoPetey\Pictures."

If we understand you correctly, the issue is that Pictures doesn't appear in the left panel under This PC. The correct location IS C:\Users\PeteyBoPetey\Pictures. This is only an issue of using Step 8 in the tutorial to add it back to the list. See if this screenshot is what you want to achieve- put Pictures folder back in list on L.

Why my 'Music' folder and 'Pictures' folder under This PC change their locations together [​IMG]

mrgeek, Aug 31, 2019
  4. enso Win User

Why my 'Music' folder and 'Pictures' folder under This PC change their locations together

Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

Thema:

1. Why my 'Music' folder and 'Pictures' folder under This PC change their locations together - Similar Threads - Why 'Music' folder

2. My Music Folder is in Pictures

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My Music Folder is in Pictures: All of my music on my Windows 10 Professional computer is in my Pictures folder. If I go to c:/users/my profile I do not see a folder for Music. Is it normal in Windows not to have a separate folder for Music? I would like the folder for music to be separate but I don't know...
  3. My Music Folder is in Pictures

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My Music Folder is in Pictures: All of my music on my Windows 10 Professional computer is in my Pictures folder. If I go to c:/users/my profile I do not see a folder for Music. Is that correct? I would like the folder for music to be separate but I don't know how to do that without causing issues....
  4. My Music Folder is in Pictures

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Music Folder is in Pictures: All of my music on my Windows 10 Professional computer is in my Pictures folder. If I go to c:/users/my profile I do not see a folder for Music. Is that correct? I would like the folder for music to be separate but I don't know how to do that without causing issues....
  5. Change Default Location of Picture Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change Default Location of Picture Folder: I want to change the default location of my pictures folder from out of my OneDrive and just under the main user folder. I keep getting this error. Is there a workaround for this?...
  6. Pictures and music system folder files duplicated after changing folder location to another...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pictures and music system folder files duplicated after changing folder location to another...: I bought myself a new ssd. I was moving files, photos to the smaller drive in order to use the bigger drive for more games however when I changed the location of the folders music and pictures, it duplicated the 2 folders into one ex: both are now photos despite picturing...
  7. Pictures and music system folder files duplicated after changing folder location to another...

Pictures and music system folder files duplicated after changing folder location to another...: I bought myself a new ssd. I was moving files, photos to the smaller drive in order to use the bigger drive for more games however when I changed the location of the folders music and pictures, it duplicated the 2 folders into one ex: both are now photos despite picturing...
  8. Music & Pictures folders no longer visible in File Explorer under "This PC"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Music & Pictures folders no longer visible in File Explorer under "This PC": Music & Pictures folders libraries? no longer visible in File Explorer under "This PC". They are still under c:\users\ and are visible in Libraries and all files are still on the PC. Documents is still visible under This PC. No idea what all of a sudden made this happen. I...
  9. Music & Pictures folders no longer visible in File Explorer under "This PC"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Music & Pictures folders no longer visible in File Explorer under "This PC": Music & Pictures folders libraries? no longer visible in File Explorer under "This PC". They are still under c:\users\ and are visible in Libraries and all files are still on the PC. Documents is still visible under This PC. No idea what all of a sudden made this happen. I...
  10. Music & Pictures folders no longer visible in File Explorer under "This PC"