Windows 10: Why my System Reserved partition have drive letters?

Discus and support Why my System Reserved partition have drive letters? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; This happens when I plug my external hard drive that containing my Windows 10 into my Windows 7 laptop and then boot from my Windows 10 which is on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Aria and Aslam Official, Mar 15, 2021.

1. Why my System Reserved partition have drive letters?

This happens when I plug my external hard drive that containing my Windows 10 into my Windows 7 laptop and then boot from my Windows 10 which is on that external hard drive. When I open Disk Management in my Windows 10 I see that my Windows 7 System Reserved partition which is located on Disk 0 has a drive letter E:, extendable, and is visible in File Explorer, even though if I boot via my Windows 7 my System Reserved partition does not have a drive letter, not extendable, and hidden on Windows Explorer. Why is this happening?

Sorry if my words and topics I choose are not quite right

:)

Aria and Aslam Official, Mar 15, 2021

2. system reserved partition

I gave you a video tutorial for how to Extend the System Reserved into C:

http://partitionwizard.com/video-help/extend_pa...

If the Extend function is no longer free then use Resize:

1) First Resize the left end of the C partition to the right by 500mb, Apply step..

2) Next Resize the right end of the System Reserved partition into the new space you created in C, Apply.

You may need to add a drive letter first to System Reserved as I've now written twice.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP 2010-20, Mar 15, 2021
  3. After recent update of Windows 10 I am seeing System Reserved Partition in explorer

Hi,

You just need to remove the assigned drive letter for your System Reserved Partition to hide it. To do so, kindly follow these steps:

• Right-click on the Start menu.
    • Click on Disk Management.
    • Right-click on the System Reserved Partition, then select
      Change Drive Letter and Paths
    • Click on Remove, then select Yes.
    • Click OK to close the window.

Once done, the System Reserved Partition will be hidden.

Don't hesitate to reach out to us if you need further assistance with your concern.

Joshua Her1, Mar 15, 2021
  4. hzelizer Win User

Why my System Reserved partition have drive letters?

System Reserve Partition Size Problem During Windows 10 Upgrade

I recently had a Widows 10 Insiders Preview update fail with We couldn't update the system reserved partition.
    This was the first time after many successful updates. It was hard to find a clear cut solution to the problem. In my case, there was no partition named "System Reserved Partition", so I kept looking for ways to create/recreate this partition. It was
    a red herring, the system reserved partition on my PC is "EFI System Partition".

After many web searches and a review of anything that might have changed on my PC I identified the problem. It turned out that there was insufficient free space in the system reserved partition to allow Windows to perform the update. Since the allocated
    size of the partition was the default 100mb and hadn't been modified, I checked to see what files and directories the partition contained.

It turned out that in addition to the expected "EFI" directory, there was an additional directory named "echoboot" that was apparently installed by the cloning software I used to move to a larger hard drive. This extra directory used up enough space in
    the reserved partition to cause the update failure. I tried removing the cloning software, but it didn't delete the partition. So I had to remove it manually.

These are the steps I used to correct the problem and are only applicable if a user installed disk utility (i.e. cloning, partitioning, backup software) created additional items in the system reserved partition. Before proceeding, try uninstalling any disk
    utilities you may have added, reboot the PC, and retry the failed update.

This procedure may leave your computer in an unbootable state, proceed with caution

Step 1

Open a command window as administrator. In Cortana search box enter the text "command prompt", right-click on the result "Command Prompt Desktop app" and select "Run as administrator" from the context menu.

Step 2

Use the mountvol command to mount the system reserved partition so you can work with it. The syntax is 'mountvol
    unused drive letter: /S, where unused drive letter is any drive letter not currently in use. For example, if the drive letter Q is available (unused) you would enter
    mountvol Q: /S in the command window.

Step 3

Use the dir command to see what directories exist in the system reserved partition. Using the drive letter you assigned in the previous step, enter
    dir Q:\ and examine the directory listing that appears. Look for a directory that is related to a user installed disk utility (in my case, echoboot added by the NTI Echo 3 disk cloning utility).

Step 4

Remove the directory identified in the previous step using the rmdir command. The syntax is
    rmdir assigned drive letter:\directory
    /s, where assigned drive letter is the drive letter assigned in Step 2 and
    directory is the name of the directory related to the user installed disk utility identified in Step 3. Executing this command will remove the directory and its contents. The command, in my case, was
    rmdir Q:\echoboot /s

Step 5

Dismount the System Reserved Volume using the mountvol command. The syntax is mountvol assigned drive letter: /D
    where assigned drive letteris the drive letter assigned in Step 2. Again, if Q was the drive letter assigned in Step2, the command would be
    mountvol Q: /D

I hope this helps.

hzelizer, Mar 15, 2021
Thema:

Why my System Reserved partition have drive letters?

1. Why my System Reserved partition have drive letters? - Similar Threads - Why System Reserved

2. Changing the Drive Letter of a System Partition.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Changing the Drive Letter of a System Partition.: I recently performed a custom installation of Windows to get rid of another problem I was having. It left a SYSTEM D: drive in my files that I can't access. When I tried to plugged in my external hard drive, it defaulted to an E: drive letter. This messed with some paths for...
  3. Changing the Drive Letter of a System Partition.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing the Drive Letter of a System Partition.: I recently performed a custom installation of Windows to get rid of another problem I was having. It left a SYSTEM D: drive in my files that I can't access. When I tried to plugged in my external hard drive, it defaulted to an E: drive letter. This messed with some paths for...
  4. Changing the Drive Letter of a System Partition.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Why is a there a 50MB "System Reserved" partition on my tertiary drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is a there a 50MB "System Reserved" partition on my tertiary drive?: I have 3 drives. A 250GB boot NVMe SSD, a 1TB SATA SSD, and a 2TB HDD. The way windows manages the drives however is that the HDD is disk 0, 1TB SSD is disk 1, and my boot drive is disk 2. There are two partitions on my boot drive reserved for the system, which is normal for...
  6. Why is a there a 50MB "System Reserved" partition on my tertiary drive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why is a there a 50MB "System Reserved" partition on my tertiary drive?: I have 3 drives. A 250GB boot NVMe SSD, a 1TB SATA SSD, and a 2TB HDD. The way windows manages the drives however is that the HDD is disk 0, 1TB SSD is disk 1, and my boot drive is disk 2. There are two partitions on my boot drive reserved for the system, which is normal for...
  7. Why is a there a 50MB "System Reserved" partition on my tertiary drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. System reserved partition on secondary drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    System reserved partition on secondary drive: I have two drives, a SSD and HDD. I just did a fresh install of Win10 on my SSD. For some reason, the system reserved partition wound up on my HDD instead. I did some Googling and it sounds like the best practice is to disconnect secondary drives before installing, which I...
  9. System Reserved partition is on my data drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    System Reserved partition is on my data drive: I'm trying to do a disk image backup of the C: drive. However, since my system reserved partition is on my data drive (D:) it backs up my entire 1TB data drive. I know that generally the system reserved partition is a separate partition of less than 200MB, but somehow on my...
  10. Drive letter for EFI system partition?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Drive letter for EFI system partition?: In Macrium Reflect (free), a Dell Optiplex 3046 running 6.3.1835 on Win 10 64 Pro, returns a Cluster run error Cluster run short error 21 when performing a backup that includes the EFI system partition. Macrium's suggested solution is to assign a drive letter to that...