Windows 10: Why not recognized as an Administrator for file deletion?

Discus and support Why not recognized as an Administrator for file deletion? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My Windows 10 Pro v1909 (18363.657) PC created a memory dump file as the result of a BSoD. After rebooting, File Explorer showed a blank for its owner.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by GregJ7, Mar 5, 2020.

1. GregJ7 Win User

Why not recognized as an Administrator for file deletion?

My Windows 10 Pro v1909 (18363.657) PC created a memory dump file as the result of a BSoD. After rebooting, File Explorer showed a blank for its owner. I TAKEOWNed the file so my personal account was the owner and also ICACLS /reset its access list. Its only attribute was/is the one for "A"rchiving.

My personal account, which I was using, is an administrator. Its UAC setting is "Never notify."

Can anyone tell me why Windows 10 asks me to supply administrator permission to delete this file? That is, what did I miss in trying to convert this file to be just like any other personal file I might create? (I am unaware of any differences.) Is there some group policy I need to change so that Windows will actually recognize that I match being an "Administrator" for the purpose of deleting the file?

The access list for the file when I try to delete it is:
    Authenticated Users (Modify, Read & Execute, Read, Write)
    SYSTEM (Full control and all the rest except Special permissions)
    Administrators (MyPCName\Administrators) (Full control and all the rest except Special permissions)
    Users (MyPCName\Users) (Read & Execute, Read)

My account has all of the effective access attributes (File properties -> Security tab -> Advanced -> Effective Access tab).

:)

GregJ7, Mar 5, 2020
  2. Nergal Win User

App for deleting files while being used by another process...

Most of the time, booting in safe mode, as administrator, will enable you to remove those files (maps).

however, there are some programs out there to do just whatyou ask, I once found one after some searching on google. So either try my suggestion, or in fact search on google perhaps?

"Force delete" will bring up enough info on this.

Nergal, Mar 5, 2020
  3. Kem Mon Win User
    Unable to delete a file

Hi Brent,

There are a lot of possible reason why the issue occurs, we suggest that you access
    safe mode
    and
    delete the files there. If the same issue occur,
    reboot
    your PC and run these following
    methods of troubleshooting
    steps:

Method 1:
    Run SFC Scan.  

To run an
    SFC scan, follow these steps:  

• Run
      Command Prompt as Administrator.  

• Type
      sfc /scannow
      and hit
      Enter.   

Method 2:
    Run DISM Tool.  

To run
    DISM Tool, follow these steps:

• Run
      Command Prompt as Administrator.  

• Type the following command:  

• DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /scanhealth  

• DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth  

NOTE:
    This might take a while to finish scanning.
    Do not cancel. 

Method 3: Clean Boot.

To perform a
    Clean Boot, click
    here.

Note:
    Reset the computer back to
    Normal Mode
    once you are done with the troubleshooting by following the section
    "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting"
    from the same article.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Mar 5, 2020
  4. newtekie1 Win User

Deleting Hiberfil & Pagefile

You would have to move your Page File to a different drive to get rid of that file, however you can make is smaller by adjusting the size in Windows.

To get rid of Hyberfile.sys you need to disable hibernation by doing the following:

• Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.
    • In the search results list, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator.
    • When you are prompted by User Account Control, click Continue.
    • At the command prompt, type powercfg.exe /hibernate off, and then press ENTER.
    • Type exit and then press ENTER to close the Command Prompt window
    Then you can delete the hyberfile.sys file.

newtekie1, Mar 5, 2020
Thema:

1. Why not recognized as an Administrator for file deletion? - Similar Threads - Why recognized Administrator

2. How can I delete file that does not recognize that I am signed in as Administrator?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I delete file that does not recognize that I am signed in as Administrator?: I have an HP Envy 360 with a One Drive file that is stating that I must be "signed in as administrator" to delete. I AM signed in and the ONLY user of this laptop. Why would this one file not recognize that? How can I get rid of this file and it's contents?...
  3. How can I delete file that does not recognize that I am signed in as Administrator?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I delete file that does not recognize that I am signed in as Administrator?: I have an HP Envy 360 with a One Drive file that is stating that I must be "signed in as administrator" to delete. I AM signed in and the ONLY user of this laptop. Why would this one file not recognize that? How can I get rid of this file and it's contents?...
  4. why cant i delete files as an administrator

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    why cant i delete files as an administrator: i am the admin of my computer, and the only person the have acsess to this computer, so why are there files that i cant delete because they need administrator permission?...
  5. Unable to Delete Files as Administrator

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to Delete Files as Administrator: There are some files in my hard drive that aren't any sort of system files, and they aren't running either. It was a program that suddenly wouldn't run anymore, and I'm not sure why. Something happened to the executable file because the icon started to look like a default...
  6. copying a file when i'm not recognized as administrator

copying a file when i'm not recognized as administrator: I'm trying to copy a configuration file from one drive to another. I get the message that I don't have priveleges to copy even though I am the owner/administrator on the computer. What can I do to copy this file?...
  7. Not Recognized as Administrator

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Not Recognized as Administrator: I've read all the posts that apply when my computer isn't recognizing me as the Administrator. The general comment about using cmd in the command window and right-clicking on it to select "Run as Admin" doesn't work because I don't get that selection. When I try the other...
  8. Administrator Rights to Delete a File

Administrator Rights to Delete a File: I created a .jpg and saved it to my desktop. I am trying to delete it, but I receive the message that I need permission from the Administrator to delete the file. This is my computed and I created the file, how can I delete it?...
  9. Delete Administrator account files

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Delete Administrator account files: My intent was to turn on the built in administrator account and remove my user account, but found out that will not work for one reason or another of several. I have again disabled the administrator account, is it now safe to delete C:\Users\Administrator folder? 126516
  10. Not recognized as administrator

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Not recognized as administrator: I'm trying to install a program but get this prompt. It's the same for all programs. [ATTACH] It seems i cant do anything as an administrator even though i'm the only user on the computer and didnt have this problem before. I tried running CMD as administrator but received...