Windows 10: Why not set a password for the built in local Administrator account in Windows 10

Discus and support Why not set a password for the built in local Administrator account in Windows 10 in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I changed my pc to show the local Administrator userid at logon. When I go to set a password, I am getting the warning message as shown in the... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Doe Hunter, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Why not set a password for the built in local Administrator account in Windows 10

I changed my pc to show the local Administrator userid at logon. When I go to set a password, I am getting the warning message as shown in the below screen snapshot. What is the danger of establishing a password for the local Administrator account?

The below command prompt command is what I used to force Windows 10 to show the Administrator account at login and also so I could manage it.

NET USER Administrator /Active:Yes

Please advise.

Thanks.

Why not set a password for the built in  local Administrator account in Windows 10 a15e813c-3d1d-4c23-b32f-c993d64bf497?upload=true.png

:)

Doe Hunter, Jan 25, 2019
  2. angus Win User

Settings can't be opened using the built-in administrator account

Hello,
    Unfortunately I have the same issue as Dabz from upgrading win7 to win10.
    I've tried opening settings using all the suggested methods and it will not load using my account with Administrator access nor the built-in Administrator profile. I also tried other methods not listed such as using Run. Control panel is just a stepping stone to add users in Settings.
    I'm also having explorer.exe issues, which I believe is preventing Settings from loading.
    Using cmd (Admin) I successfully created a new user profile [and granted admin access also using cmd (Admin)], however win10 will not allow this account to log on. win10 does not list this new user within control panel but it does in the start menu. win10 will not allow to log in or switch to the new account via the start menu either.
    I can access settings in Safe Mode but this will not allow me to create a new account.
    Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

angus, Jan 25, 2019
  3. Zakin Win User
    Strange Windows 10 User Account issue.

Unfortunately I had done those steps numerous reboots, it just, reappears for no good reason. The base account isn't even a Microsoft account, it's a local account.

I haven't quite tried the built in administrator account on W10, but so far in my experience on my own computer, the built in account seemed to have absolutely no more control than I did on my own.

It's just strange, I go in, it warns me twice about deleting the account, then it's gone. Reboot, and it's back?

EDIT: Just to specify, both command line and Netplwiz both say only HIS account exists on the computer, it doesn't list this rogue account. This is what I meant in my first post about the fact that even Windows doesn't seem to believe it exists, HALF the time. *Frown Why not set a password for the built in  local Administrator account in Windows 10 :(

Zakin, Jan 25, 2019
  4. Why not set a password for the built in local Administrator account in Windows 10

Win10 lost UAC (administrator)password

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you forgot the administrator account password and you are unable to login. We will help you to resolve the issue.

I suggest you to log in to built in administrator account and create a new administrator account.

Please try the steps given below and check if it helps.

Step 1:

• From the Lock screen, click on
      Power
      button.

• Press and hold the Shift key from the Keyboard and Click on
      Restart and try to enter the Safe mode.
    Kindly try to start your computer in Safe mode from the Windows Recovery Environment. Follow the below step.

Step 2:

• After your PC restarts to the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot
      > Advanced options > Startup Settings >Restart.
    • After your PC restarts, select a startup setting as Safe Mode by pressing the corresponding number.
    Once you have entered into the Safe mode then, open Command Prompt and enable Built in Administrator.

Step 3:

Follow the below steps to enable Built in Administrator:

• Open Command Prompt from
      Windows Recovery Environment

• Copy and paste the below command and press Enter.
    net user administrator /active:yes

• Close the Command Prompt.

• Try to login though Built in Administrator and change the earlier password or you can create new user account.
    Refer the below link to create the new Local user account.

Create a local user account in Windows 10

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-my/windows-10/create-a-local-user-account-in-windows-10

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Jan 25, 2019
Thema:

Why not set a password for the built in local Administrator account in Windows 10

1. Why not set a password for the built in local Administrator account in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Why set password

2. forgotten administrator local account password

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    forgotten administrator local account password: Dear Microsoft support team.I forgotten my administrator local account password and their security questions because I always used my my face id or my pin to sign in to my laptop. is there any way to recover or reset the password?I know my old password but last year I change...
  3. forgotten administrator local account password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    forgotten administrator local account password: Dear Microsoft support team.I forgotten my administrator local account password and their security questions because I always used my my face id or my pin to sign in to my laptop. is there any way to recover or reset the password?I know my old password but last year I change...
  4. forgotten administrator local account password

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. How to enable the Built-in administrator account from local user account[not local...

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How to enable the Built-in administrator account from local user account[not local...: How to built-in administrator enable the account from user account.....? I tried following command but getting below error. [ATTACH] Can you give the solution to fix the issue....
  6. Windows 10 built-in administrator account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 built-in administrator account: I can't access my Microsoft Store because of the built-in administrator account. Please how can i resolve this issue on windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-built-in-administrator-account/696a0530-4eac-4348-9029-ec27f7b74a57
  7. Lost password for Windows 10 Local Administrator Account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Lost password for Windows 10 Local Administrator Account: Hi, I have lost my password for my local administrator account and am unable to reset it as it is not linked to my Microsoft Account. I am running Windows 10 version 1909 on an Acer Aspire 3 laptop. I can access my computer with my 'PIN' number, but would like to reset...
  8. Built In Administrator Password

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Built In Administrator Password: Updated to Windows 10 latest update. I have no CLUE in how to find my Built In Administrator Password. I've spent all week hrs upon hrs. trying to find files that might have it or even a hint. I'm completely LOST and not a computer programmer. I can't do this, too much...
  9. Built in administrator account

Built in administrator account: I've been using Windows 10 since the auto update from 8.1 Everything has worked since then, but then this happens. Randomly in the last days, if I click on any app, I get prompted "App cannot be opened using the built-in administrator account." I don't know where...
  10. Built-in administrator account reset its password

Built-in administrator account reset its password: Hello! I have an unusual problem, which has caused me to not have admin access on my own computer. Recently, I noticed that my personal account did not have full privileges on my computer despite it being the only account on it. I activated the built-in admin account with...