Windows 10: Why Oh Why Is This Happening All The Time

Discus and support Why Oh Why Is This Happening All The Time in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi peeps, can you help? I run Revo Uninstaller and do a junk scan to remove, er, junk. But I have noticed that this always is in the list despite... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Silencious, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Why Oh Why Is This Happening All The Time

Hi peeps, can you help? I run Revo Uninstaller and do a junk scan to remove, er, junk. But I have noticed that this always is in the list despite deleting...

Why Oh Why Is This Happening All The Time [​IMG]

I have tried, to reinstall Mail & Calender as suggested on some forums to no avail. I have also tried to repair the Store Cache as another suggested, but this always stays put. Where is it from and how do I remove it all together? Thank you for your time and expert opinion

:)

Silencious, Aug 11, 2016

2. "An App Default was Reset" How to get a solution from Microsoft?

I spent this morning reading through over 2000 comments made over the past 3 days about Microsoft windows now blocking other applications from being the default when opening a file and getting flooded with this message:

An app default was reset

An app caused a problem with the default app settings for *.type files, so it was reset to "Microsoft app that opens that file type"

The solution I've received from Microsoft so far is to "Uninstall the app associated with the file type" in my case Photoshop, Gimp, Media Monkey, Textpad, WinRAR, WinZip, etc and see if reinstalling the app fixes the problem. Why would they offer that as
    a SOLUTION?

Is there any way to get them to fix something? Any way to get a response from them that they are working on a fix? Or is this just a plan to switch everyone to a Mac?

Why-Is-This-Happening, Aug 11, 2016
  3. farby Win User
    Why Is This Happening?

Why ? May be because memory limitations ..not sure though

Change limit ? NO ..

farby, Aug 11, 2016
  4. Why Oh Why Is This Happening All The Time

Slartybart, Aug 11, 2016
  5. Thank you for your reply. The issue I have is...I don't know what it is indicating and I use Mail and calendar on my windows 10 and they appear to be working fine. Any further information would be grateful

Silencious, Aug 11, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    tmp files are just that. These appear to be related to the Mail app, so if that manages them, ok.
    Are you saying you can't delete them, or that they keep being recreated?
    They're really small.
    On the other hand, I don't have any such- but I haven't configured Mail. And I don't have any tmp files in that folder.
    Sorry not to be able to advise further.

Have you tried Ccleaner?

dalchina, Aug 11, 2016
  7. Yup Got that.... still, it show in revo. I went to the start, settings, apps and located mail & calendar. I then selected reset instead of unistall. I think that fixed it

Silencious, Aug 11, 2016
  8. Why Oh Why Is This Happening All The Time

still didn't work...any ideas

Silencious, Aug 12, 2016
  9. dalchina New Member
    You need to find where they are coming from.
    File Integrity Monitoring | Log and Event Manager| SolarWinds

Commercial tool which- amongst other things- monitors a folder for changes and (probably) tells you what happened. I've not used it, and what you need is what wrote the tmp files to that folder.

Maybe the trial period will be enough to allow you to do that.

FolderChangesView - Monitor folder/drive/files changes on Windows
    - this small tool monitors folders and lists changes, but that's all, so it won't help you.

If you can find what's writing those files, you can stop it.
    Or, from the name- which appears to be one of the universal apps- you can then try uninstalling the universal app and seeing if no more tmp files are written (for which the second tool may be of use).

As for deleting the files,
    1. check the date and time they were created.
    2. Delete them - with Ccleaner make sure that you add that folder and only tmp files will be deleted. It won't delete them just 'cos you've installed Ccleaner- you'd have to configure it to do so, 'cos it's not a standard location for tmp files.
    3. Now inspect the folder. If tmp files are present, check the time/date is later than when you deleted them.
    4 If you can't delete them, you can delete them by booting your PC from a suitable bootable disk or medium.

dalchina, Aug 12, 2016
  10. A bit of digging - the Mail App uses the Word engine to render text (and objects?)

That's why the files are in the Content.MSO folder as best I can determine. Other searching informs me that these files are created when Office encounters attachments that are from the Internet zone - but that relates to MSO and IE.

Trying to find information on the Apps, especially the Mail App is difficult, but here's where I've found some information:

Search results for - Office.com
    That's about all I found. I tried Mail App a while ago, but found it lacking - so I can't easily test different scenarios.

I almost said that these are temp files created when you look at/ open an attachment, but ... no evidence.

I think the files are going to be created when you launch Mail App, even if you delete them - because the new sync gets them again (maybe).

I'm out of ideas - if I stumble across a way to control the temp files, I'll post it. Until then all I can do is amplify dalchina's remark
    and say Don't worry about them until they present a problem

Slartybart, Aug 12, 2016
  11. dalchina New Member
    @Slartybart
    - thanks.. isn't that folder an odd place for tmp files to be created? I don't use Mail so guess it wouldn't be creating any. It would be helpful for someone else who does to see if they have tmp files there.

dalchina, Aug 13, 2016
  12. The Windows Universal Apps (WUA) normally store per user stuff in the user's AppData\Local\Packages folder. Take a look on your machine - I uninstalled most of the WUAs so I don't have Mail.

You want ask for another pair of eyes or should I ?

I'm not sure if they'll offer a solution (possibly a setting??) or just confirm that the files are nothing to worry about.

I posted in more help ...
    We'll see

Bill

Slartybart, Aug 13, 2016
  13. Why Oh Why Is This Happening All The Time

Member DavidY was kind enough to do some testing.

He found that when eMail is opened, the App creates ancillary files in that folder that are used to read the mail.
    When he closed the App, only the .tmp files remained.

When he first looked at the folder it was empty, so his take is that the App eventually cleans up. He's not certain if the cleanup triggers on age, time, count or # of times the App gets launched.

Basically, DavidY confirmed that the App eventually cleans up the temp files.

The fact that Revo finds them really isn't an operational issue - it might bug you that they're there ... but you can find all sorts of things that stick around for a while (for example previous MS mail clients cleaned up after so many executions - 100 was the default).

I don't think there's anything an end user can change.

That's all I have

Bill

Slartybart, Aug 13, 2016
  14. dalchina New Member
    Hi, I don't have the Content.MSO folder.. but as I said I don't use Mail so it's not a fair comparison, so if someone who does could comment...

dalchina, Aug 13, 2016
  15. Here's what DavidY replied to my request for more help on this issue:

Slartybart, Aug 13, 2016
Thema:

Why Oh Why Is This Happening All The Time

1. Why Oh Why Is This Happening All The Time - Similar Threads - Why Why Happening

2. Why oh why

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why oh why: We're in my Toshiba C850 is my product key located https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-oh-why/84e947a5-dae6-4f26-942d-8c719f877e72
  3. Why oh why

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why oh why: We're in my Toshiba C850 is my product key located https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-oh-why/84e947a5-dae6-4f26-942d-8c719f877e72
  4. Why after all this time

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Why after all this time: Just a simple question. Why, after all this time, can't Microsoft release a Windows update that doesn't screw up? My windows just updated.....followed by a blue crash screen then system lock up. I've had nothing but hard crashes, random restarts and black screens recently....
  5. why is this happening all of sudden

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    why is this happening all of sudden: [IMG]why is this happening all of sudden https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-this-happening-all-of-sudden/5c1cdf69-7db0-4e20-bfe5-99531fe49088
  6. Why this happened?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why this happened?: [ATTACH] Hey! after the 20H2 update the Office apps lose their coloured tiles. Earlier they were pretty looking good. All apps are looking good in black tiles after the 20H2 update. But I need a solution for it that how can I get the coloured tiles back! Thanks....
  7. Why is this happening

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Why is this happening: appantly I can't send a picture but that thing in the photo just opens and closes for no reason and idk why, then there is another problem that I might ask as well sometimes my new keyboard just opens random things and I've tried everythint like how do I stop it from even...
  8. Why is this happening?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why is this happening?: So when i bought this laptop it had always some problems with the internet, at first the problem was always the dns server but then it didn't show up anymore, now after a few months the internet was slower, i usually download at 20mbs, so when i did a diagnosis for the...
  9. Why is this happening or not happening

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Why is this happening or not happening: I have 50 feature updates for may update 1903 but 1903 hasn't and won't install. Now I am downloading feature updates for 1909 but it hasn't installed either...
  10. Windows 10.... why oh why

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10.... why oh why: So I bought my laptop in Hong Kong and brought it home to australia... with windows 8... seemed to have no issues... so lets upgrade to windows 10... sure that'll be cool it's free.... ... suppose to be better than 7, 8 and 8.1.... HA...So now my audio seems to mute itself...