Windows 10: Why restarted need to install updates

Discus and support Why restarted need to install updates in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Three updates were installed over two days. There was no indication that any updates were installed. I power down my computer every night. Today, while... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Jimfof1913, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Why restarted need to install updates

Three updates were installed over two days. There was no indication that any updates were installed. I power down my computer every night. Today, while checking for updates, I found that I had these updates installed and there was an indication that a restart was needed.
    1. Why isn't there some kind of notification that a restart is needed?
    2. Why didn't the updates installed when I power down?

:)

Jimfof1913, Aug 31, 2015

2. Restarted to install updates but stuck on restarting screen

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused with Windows 10 updates.

Please answer the below questions to assist you better.

1. What is the make and model of the computer?

2. How long did you wait for the update to be installed before you restarted the system?

Unplug all external devices (except mouse and keyboard) connected to the PC and restart the system to check if you are able to get to the desktop screen.

If the issue still persists, as you are facing this issue after installing the Windows update, Let us try to perform a system restore and check if it helps.

System restore: This option takes your PC back to an earlier point in time, called a system restore point. Restore points are generated when you install a new app, driver, or Windows update, and when you create a restore point manually. Restoring won’t affect
    your personal files, but it will remove apps, drivers, and updates installed after the restore point was made.

Refer to the section “Use installation media to restore or reset your PC” in the following article to do a System restore:

Recovery options in Windows 10

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-10-recovery-options

If you don’t have an installation media, you have to create an installation media for that.

You may download an ISO from the below link:

Download Windows 10

Disclaimer: Though it is said that System Restore does not affect your personal information such as email, documents, photos, videos, etc., but there is highly possible that some of your personal files are deleted while system restoring.

During System Restore, there may be errors and such errors may cause damage to the files that are present in the system. And, computer shutdown during restoring process may also lead to file loss. Sometimes when System Restore is failed, it may lead to loss
    of important files as well.

Hope the information helps. Do reply if you need further assistance, we will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Deepak Kodi, Aug 31, 2015
  3. ChrissieV Win User
    Restarted to install updates but stuck on restarting screen

Just switched on PC. It told me it needed to restart to install updates so I chose the option to restart now. So it switched off and on and I have a blue screen with the word Restarting and a circle of dots going round, and round, and round....

What can I do? I am not clever with computers. I have switched off and on again, several times. Each time the same blue screen comes up.

my PC is 7 months old, came with Windows 8 but I downloaded Windows 10 as soon as available in the summer. Not aware of any other problems, except that my Spider Solitaire has refused to laid for the past week or so.

I need the PC as I work from home and would be very grateful for an idiots guide as to what to do now.

I'm not even sure that I am posting this in the right category. Am accessing this using my iPad.

ChrissieV, Aug 31, 2015
  4. lx07 Win User

Why restarted need to install updates

Do you have fast-boot turned on? See Reboot after Windows Update vs Shutdown and restart - Windows 10 Forums - it could be the same issue.

I'm not sure about notifications. Normally it will schedule a restart for 3:30 am or some other time you don't often use your PC but if you always shut down before then I'm not sure what happens. Presumably it will eventually do it's reboot.

5. I do have fast boot turned on.

Jimfof1913, Aug 31, 2015
  6. Berton Win User
    As is mentioned on any number of programs' updates there is a need to unload files from memory so the new files can take their place, quite a common occurrence and as Windows versions have progressed the need has become somewhat less when compared with Win98, WinME, etc.

Berton, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Why restarted need to install updates

1. Why restarted need to install updates - Similar Threads - Why restarted need

2. Installing update restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installing update restart: Hi, I accidentally clicked ‘restart now’ whilst another update was installing. The laptop restarted and said installing updates on a black screen and then loaded to my desktop. I checked the about page and it has the same OS feature pack version as my other device which had...
  3. Installing update restart

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installing update restart: Hi, I accidentally clicked ‘restart now’ whilst another update was installing. The laptop restarted and said installing updates on a black screen and then loaded to my desktop. I checked the about page and it has the same OS feature pack version as my other device which had...
  4. Why does windows update install upon restart whilst no pending updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Why does windows update install upon restart whilst no pending updates: Why does windows update install updates upon restarting the computer (windows is configuring your computer) before the login screen appears, whilst there are no pending updates visible (in windows update) to be installed before the computer is restarted? I'm using Windows...
  5. HELP NEEDED! - Windows Updates not Installing and not Sure Why

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HELP NEEDED! - Windows Updates not Installing and not Sure Why: Okay, so as the title reads I have multiple updates that have failed to install and won't. I'm, not super tech savvy so I don't know if any of these are even slightly important but it would still be nice to have them install successfully. My main problem with them not...
  6. You need to restart your PC to finish installing a firmware update

in Windows 10 News
    You need to restart your PC to finish installing a firmware update: [ATTACH]If the Windows Update page notifies that Windows 10 feature update is available, and when you proceed with its download and install, you receive the […] This article You need to restart your PC to finish installing a firmware update first appeared on...
  7. Install update & restart

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Install update & restart: Now I cannot connect to the internet at all. Connected to my router fine, full strength. Fails to load any pages. Why is Windows doing this to me? I’m a student, I don’t have time for this bullshit. submitted by /u/acrylicnipples [link] [comments]...
  8. Why is Windows Update asking for a restart when the update is clearly installed?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Why is Windows Update asking for a restart when the update is clearly installed?: I notice that Windows Update is asking for a restart as shown below. [ATTACH] However, that notification remains even after restarting several times. As can be seen from the image below, the specific update is installed. [ATTACH] What is wrong? How do I...
  9. window update restart need,

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    window update restart need,: Windows update restart needed notification countdown to goodness when do you want to do the restart, problem is when you do the restart it does not do the update...
  10. Restart to install updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Restart to install updates: Hi all, I wanted to clarify whether updates that require a restart to install, only install if you actually click 'restart' or do they install if you normally shutdown the computer and then turn it on again later? I'm sure you could do it that way on Windows 7. Its a pain...