Windows 10: Why should I replace a Win 10 logon 8-12 char password with a PIN

Discus and support Why should I replace a Win 10 logon 8-12 char password with a PIN in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Assuming PIN implies four digits, why would I feel as secure as I do with an 8-12 character password when logging on to my Windows 10 laptop? What am... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by sdmike1974, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Why should I replace a Win 10 logon 8-12 char password with a PIN

Assuming PIN implies four digits, why would I feel as secure as I do with an 8-12 character password when logging on to my Windows 10 laptop?

What am I missing? I don't get it.

:)

sdmike1974, Jul 27, 2019
  2. MaKMc Win User

PIN replaced by Password - Windows 10 logon

About a week ago, the PIN option disappeared from my Window 10 logon and was replaced by PASSWORD. How do I get the PIN option back?

MaKMc, Jul 27, 2019
  3. doug4901 Win User
    Win 10 password....Win 10 pin

I have been logging on for some months using my Win 10 pin to logon to my laptop. However a short time ago, on bootup, I was asked my password, and, guess what, I can't remember. I know my user/pin, and my logon has Administrator rights.

My laptop was bought from Dell with Win 10 Pro pre-installed.

After I was asked for my password, I rebooted and was then asked for my pin instead of my password, so I am back online (to you).

Do I have a long term issue? Do I need to find my lost password?

Regards
    Doug

doug4901, Jul 27, 2019
  4. CokerDr1 Win User

Why should I replace a Win 10 logon 8-12 char password with a PIN

LAN PC blocks attempts to connect after converting to PIN logon

I have Multiple PC's on private windows 10 network, all connecting promptly with all other PC's on network. 2 PC's running Windows 10 Pro, 2 PC's running Win 7 Pro.

I changed 1 WiN 10 PC to logon using a PIN; no change to others.

• All was well for a while, but now the PIN login PC cannot be reached from the other PC's;
    • Other PC's can reach each other
    • PIN PC can reach all others.
    I have a Microsoft Account. I cannot remember the PIN PC password before changing to the PIN.

Any ideas?

CokerDr1, Jul 27, 2019
Thema:

Why should I replace a Win 10 logon 8-12 char password with a PIN

1. Why should I replace a Win 10 logon 8-12 char password with a PIN - Similar Threads - Why should replace

2. WIN 11 logon without password or PIN

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WIN 11 logon without password or PIN: How do I log onto my desktop @ Windows 11 without a password or PIN? I have tried all suggestions & never get the box to uncheck @ Account Users. Help! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-11-logon-without-password-or-pin/7ab93fd9-4f55-493d-8274-3d97d58b9630
  3. WIN 11 logon without password or PIN

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WIN 11 logon without password or PIN: How do I log onto my desktop @ Windows 11 without a password or PIN? I have tried all suggestions & never get the box to uncheck @ Account Users. Help! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-11-logon-without-password-or-pin/7ab93fd9-4f55-493d-8274-3d97d58b9630
  4. Win 10 logon, PIN not available and do not have password. Can not reset password.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Win 10 logon, PIN not available and do not have password. Can not reset password.: I need to reset my logon password but have not found a way to do this can't logon, so don't give me things to do when in Windows. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-10-logon-pin-not-available-and-do-not-have/3ba57a6a-9ef2-4297-9884-cd027d5aa688
  5. Forcing password change on logon Win 10 + Azure AD

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Forcing password change on logon Win 10 + Azure AD: Hello, My company is using limited version of Azure AD and tasked me to force users to change their password regularly. When first installing system during initial setup of AD on Win 10 there was prompt to change password, but now when i reset users password all i get is...
  6. Win 10 not activating with Win 8 key? Should this work?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win 10 not activating with Win 8 key? Should this work?: So the story goes; my motherboard gave up the ghost on my old system so I have basically built a new system. I installed Win 8.1 pro on it as this is what I was previously using and quickly realised that my new hardware did not support earlier than Win 10. I had no internet...
  7. Dual Logons after renaming system from Win 8 to Win 10

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Dual Logons after renaming system from Win 8 to Win 10: Before upgrading, I had one logon for Win 8.1 and had it set to auto log on at Windows start. When I upgraded to Win 10 it was OK and the same way. I renamed the system Win10 (from Win8) and now there are two logons at startup, my original and a second "Jack". The second...
  8. Win 10 password....Win 10 pin

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Win 10 password....Win 10 pin: I have been logging on for some months using my Win 10 pin to logon to my laptop. However a short time ago, on bootup, I was asked my password, and, guess what, I can't remember. I know my user/pin, and my logon has Administrator rights. My laptop was bought from Dell with...
  9. Windows 10 update 12/8

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 update 12/8: Hi After upting the other day i have some strange problems: For example if i open the volume control the volume automatically scrolls to maximum. The only way to stop it is to close the volume control. In my web mail program if i move the mouse cursor inside the window...
  10. Should i keep win 8 or win 10 that is full of bugs?

in Windows 10 Support
    Should i keep win 8 or win 10 that is full of bugs?: Hey guys. I was wondering. Should i keep win 10 or rollback to 8.1 pro. I have recently upgraded to 10 and it has a lot of bugs. The biggest error that bothers me is that my pointer is constantly freezing. I have tried everything, still no fix. I cant play a game, i cant...