Windows 10: Why so many instances of Google Chrome

Discus and support Why so many instances of Google Chrome in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; In Startup there appear to be five instances of Google Chrome 32-bit, and, of course, Startup is sluggish. All instances have a common modified date.... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by chipwood, Mar 31, 2016.

1. chipwood Win User

Why so many instances of Google Chrome

In Startup there appear to be five instances of Google Chrome 32-bit, and, of course, Startup is sluggish. All instances have a common modified date.

The numerous instances seem to be making Startup sluggish and I am confused how they got there. As Chrome is open I cannot delete all but one. in Task Manager.

Advice will be welcome! Please!

P.s. My test period is nearing its end.Once that is out of the way will a lot of dross from Windows 7 be deposed of automatically? Or might it be advisable to clean install 10 from a downloaded disc from ISO file, using my 7 licence detail?

:)

chipwood, Mar 31, 2016
  2. BlondieSL Win User

Chrome opens automatically after start/rebooting on Win10

It is normal that if Chrome is left open and the computer crashes, is shut down or rebooted, for it to load up automatically when computer restarts and attempt to reload the last page(s) that were opened.

To do that, there is a flag or flags that are set while Chrome is open and running.

When you close Chrome, that flag is SUPPOSED to be reset so that upon next startup, Chrome checks the flag to see if it was closed down properly before and if so, NOT AUTO LOAD.

I think what is going on here is that Chrome is not setting that flag properly all the time AND/OR with Chrome's bad habit of having so many instances open in task manager, that the flag may be not reset for all instances.

For those of us who do end all apps before shutting down, we shut down right away and it seems like Chrome, with its way too many instances open, doesn't have enough time to close ALL instances and reset the flag(s).

I think the Devs at Google need to look into that and come up with some better process to reset the flag(s) for each Chrome instance that is closed out before shutting down/rebooting, etc.

Something where there are not a whole bunch of flags left in the condition to instruct Chrome to auto load on next start of Windows.

Perhaps what Google Devs should do is each time an instance of Chrome is closed, that the flag is reset IMMEDIATELY and NOT wait for the instance in task manager to also end before doing so.

I really think it's literally easy to just move the flag resetting code to priority 1 rather than where it appears to be now (appears to "wait" for ALL instances in task manager to end)

BlondieSL, Mar 31, 2016
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    What is svchost.exe?  Why so many instances running?  Should I be concerned?

The service host (svchost) is a service that hosts other processes ... like when you host a party. Many people show up and you're the one who handles the logistics. It's more efficient for Windows to run this way. You should not be surprised to see dozens
    of these hosting processes. I've got 83 of 'em at the moment and my computer runs beautifully.

If you want to impress your friends and earn some serious geek cred, you can run

Process Explorer
    and find out what processes are being hosted. Welcome to The Dork Side, young Jedi.

BulldogXX, Mar 31, 2016
  4. Why so many instances of Google Chrome

ComedyCarnage, Mar 31, 2016
  5. chipwood Win User
    Is that question directed at me or the forum in general?

chipwood, Mar 31, 2016
  6. davidhk Win User
    You misunderstand ComedyCarnage's reply.

His reply is the TITLE of a live LINK which will lead you to a tutorial on the subject you are questioning.
    Click the link and read the tutorial.

davidhk, Mar 31, 2016
  7. Victek Win User
    Chrome uses numerous processes to isolate individual tabs and other components for greater security. This is sometimes referred to as Chrome's "sandbox". I have two tabs open in Chrome at the moment and there are ten Google Chrome processes listed in the task manager.

Victek, Mar 31, 2016
  8. LMiller7 Win User

Chrome uses multiple processes to improve stability of the browser.

Processes provide a high level of isolation from each other. They were designed for this purpose. The advantage in a browser is that if there is a problem with one web page (possibly due to an incompatible or badly written script or browser extension) the problem is confined there. If there was only one process such a problem could bring down the entire browser with all of it's tabs.

The downside is that processes have a relatively high overhead in terms of resource usage than threads. Memory usage of Chrome is often higher than with other browsers.

Whether the benefits of multiple processes is worth the cost is a matter of opinion. As I do not like or us Chrome I will not express one. But the decision was made by the Chrome designers and cannot be changed.

I will say that 5 instances of the Chrome process isn't that many. Many people have far more with no problems.

Providing system specs would make it easier to help with your issues.

LMiller7, Mar 31, 2016
  9. chipwood Win User
    *Redface I never noticed it was a live link; too early for eyes to be demisted

chipwood, Mar 31, 2016
  10. chipwood Win User
    You now have system specs.

chipwood, Mar 31, 2016
  11. chipwood Win User
    chipwood, Apr 2, 2016
  12. elbmek Win User
    Chrome has just started making me have to enter usernames and passes on sites - TWICE. no likee!! I opened FF and tried these same sites there, no problem.

elbmek, Apr 3, 2016
  13. Fafhrd Win User

I guess something has been cleared in Chrome - cookies, cache etc, deleting stored info re. these sites *Sad

Logging in with google account makes all these accounts, password autologins, etc., just follow me around on each device I log onto and open chrome, Phone, laptop, home system etc.

Chrome can get sluggish if the Control Panel, Internet Options, Connections, LAN Settings, has the "Automatically detect settings" box checked (Windows default setting) - uncheck it,

Fafhrd, Apr 4, 2016
  14. elbmek Win User
    Chrome does it all the time, on differing sites, nothing has been altered, at least by me.

elbmek, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Why so many instances of Google Chrome - Similar Threads - Why many instances

2. Why is KB5003254 Killing Google Chrome?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Why is KB5003254 Killing Google Chrome?: I just was forced to install KB5003254 on my mostly new Dell Windows 10 Home computer. The Google Chrome browser immediately stopped working. It won't launch. I uninstalled the update KB5003254 and Google Chrome works just fine now. But, Windows Update is trying its best to...
  3. why so many sign ins

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    why so many sign ins: Microsoft was so many sign ins,accounts,windows 10 passwords,security sign ins, my passwords are 123456 and still i get lock out why bother to make all this accounts with log in .passwords bing store,explorer,hello microsoft,security all making me dizzy and...
  4. Why are so many threads "Locked"?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Why are so many threads "Locked"?: Some, if not most, don't have working answers yet. What reasons are used in locking the treads? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-are-so-many-threads-locked/00e722d9-0a3a-42e2-92ef-fb05bf78281d
  5. Why so many repeat questions = "explorer will not refresh", why so many threads closed but...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why so many repeat questions = "explorer will not refresh", why so many threads closed but...: So many people have the same issue, this is clear with so many of the same question. Dozens of Searches Why are threads closed when the issue is clearly not fixed? I found a quick fix = press F5, but that means you need to do this every time you delete or edit a file...
  6. Why So Many Updates?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Why So Many Updates?: This is a curiosity question: Why are we having so many updates for 1803? Does anyone have a handle on this. It is just an unusual number, and they just seem to "keep on coming". A screenshot is attached ... Thanks Sorry, looks like a double post for this one 117820
  7. Why So Many Updates?

in Windows 10 Support
    Why So Many Updates?: This is a curiosity question: Why are we having so many updates for 1803? Does anyone have a handle on this. It is just an unusual number, and they just seem to "keep on coming". A screenshot is attached ... Thanks Sorry, looks like a double post for this one 117820
  8. Google Chrome Taskbar Icon Opening Too Many New Instances

in Browsers and Email
    Google Chrome Taskbar Icon Opening Too Many New Instances: I don't even know how to succinctly summarize this problem so I couldn't even google search it. Both my PCs run Windows 10 Pro. On one of them, when you click a the Google Chrome taskbar button...the button disappears and becomes a Chrome program instance which you can...
  9. Many instances of Chrome in Taskmanager- only 3 t

in Browsers and Email
    Many instances of Chrome in Taskmanager- only 3 t: Guys, I've been chasing an issue that slows me down when I run Chrome, which is my browser of choice. Even when I open only a few tabs and close others as I do, it seems there remain many, many 'instances' of Chrome in Taskmanager!?? I tried a fix for this of adding...
  10. Why so many builds

in Windows 10 Support
    Why so many builds: I found this in the mail this morning Windows 10 S is ready for testing (but just barely) | ZDNet Now I am no expert or indeed am I that savvy re computing as some of you will know but I have to say that after using 7 for such a long time and going through what I saw (as I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how many instances of google chrome do you need

2. when i run chrome it start so many instances