Windows 10: Why surface i5 not as fast as pc i5

Discus and support Why surface i5 not as fast as pc i5 in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have a 5 year old pc with an i5 and 8 MB Ram so I thought a new surface pro i5 and 8MB Ram must be significantly faster then the old desktop but I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by johnkoppms, Dec 29, 2018.

1. Why surface i5 not as fast as pc i5

I have a 5 year old pc with an i5 and 8 MB Ram so I thought a new surface pro i5 and 8MB Ram must be significantly faster then the old desktop but I was wrong .

Why is the modern surface so much slower than an old desktop?

:)

johnkoppms, Dec 29, 2018
  2. pparks1 Win User

Slow Performance in Surface Pro 4 - Core i5 8GB

Heck, even for much beefier tasks, a core i5 should be more than enough to make that Surface Pro 4 quite snappy. I just built my son a computer at Christmas with a Core i5 and it's extremely fast with everything i throw at it.

Can you quantify painfully slow? For example, how long does it take to perform some of these basic tasks?

pparks1, Dec 29, 2018
  3. fdegrove Win User
    I7 or I5

Hi,

I5 supports 4 threads actually but the I7 suggested here is from an older generation.
    An I7 such as an I6700K combined with a decent socket 1151 board should outperform a 4790K hands down in several areas.

http://ark.intel.com/products/88191/...up-to-3_90-GHz

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Dec 29, 2018
  4. superjose Win User

Why surface i5 not as fast as pc i5

Slow Performance in Surface Pro 4 - Core i5 8GB

Sup guys! I'm resorting to this forum, because I know the caliber of people that roam around here.

I have a Surface Pro 4 - i5 w/ 8GB of RAM, and it's been painfully slow to do basic tasks. Excel, Web Browsing , Opening the Task Manager takes a lot; mouse lag; and maybe some coding with Visual Studio. I have a laptop with an i7 4700MQ and my laptop feels way snappier.

I thought that I wouldn't need the two extra cores since I was doing some basic work, but I don't know if I'm right...

So, this is what I've done:

1. Checked Startup items. Almost bare bones. No Java Updater, only Dropbox, f.lux, Windows Defender.
    2. Ran sfc /scannow and chkdsk - No problems found.
    3. Scanned for viruses (Malwarebytes). Everything clean.
    4. CPU temp is great at 56°C.
    5. CPU, Disk and RAM usage do not top 100% when experiencing these issues.
    6. I've refreshed and Clean Install (From USB Drive), and I'm still experiencing issues.

Is there a way for me to track the usage and see which programs may be causing some sort of distortion? Even though it's an ultrabook i5 it should be way more than enough for the type of tasks that I'm doing (I think)

Any suggestions or ideas?

superjose, Dec 29, 2018
Thema:

Why surface i5 not as fast as pc i5

1. Why surface i5 not as fast as pc i5 - Similar Threads - Why surface fast

2. Support for i5 6600K

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Support for i5 6600K: Hello,After buying Windows 11 digital version from Microsoft Store I realized, my CPU is not supported and I can't install the system.Howeaver I found on the Internet couple of informations about another PCUs like:'some of the processors considered old were not being...
  3. Support for i5 6600K

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Support for i5 6600K: Hello,After buying Windows 11 digital version from Microsoft Store I realized, my CPU is not supported and I can't install the system.Howeaver I found on the Internet couple of informations about another PCUs like:'some of the processors considered old were not being...
  4. My PC is running Intel i5-7300HQ

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My PC is running Intel i5-7300HQ: YOUR Win11 system check program states my laptop won't run Win 11. Yet Windows Processor Requirements Windows 10 1511 Supported Intel Processors Microsoft Docs lists Intel Core i5-7300HQ as a supported processor. So, which is it? Can I run Win 11 or not?Thanks,Jim Hunter...
  5. My PC is running Intel i5-7300HQ

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My PC is running Intel i5-7300HQ: YOUR Win11 system check program states my laptop won't run Win 11. Yet Windows Processor Requirements Windows 10 1511 Supported Intel Processors Microsoft Docs lists Intel Core i5-7300HQ as a supported processor. So, which is it? Can I run Win 11 or not?Thanks,Jim Hunter...
  6. I5 consuming

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I5 consuming: I have a I5-8400 and right after i did the new update every app started consuming a LOT of cpu and gpu for no reason submitted by /u/jajagibu [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/h8a08h/i5_consuming/
  7. Upgraded CPU i5 3330 to a used i5 3570k PC will not boot , multiple errors.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Upgraded CPU i5 3330 to a used i5 3570k PC will not boot , multiple errors.: Should be simple no reinstall needed. But upon trying to boot errors such as system thread exception not handled , IRQL not less than or equal , and so on. Even saw one like stack overflow !!! WTH I even did a clean install from a USB after wiping the drive for hours and only...
  8. Microsoft surface book i5 7thgen, 8th gen or surface pro 6?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Microsoft surface book i5 7thgen, 8th gen or surface pro 6?: I am looking to buy a laptop/tablet for office work, social media, movie watching and perhaps some photo editing... I was thinking about the dell xps 13 2 in 1, the Microsoft surface pro 6 and the surfacebook2.... I'll be backpacking around Australia so I wanted something...
  9. i3 to i5?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    i3 to i5?: Hi, is it possible to swap an i3 (Acer 5741 i3-350-M) to an i5 (Acer 5751 which I think is a i5-2450 )? Is this feasible please? Many thanks! 95515
  10. Slow Performance in Surface Pro 4 - Core i5 8GB

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Slow Performance in Surface Pro 4 - Core i5 8GB: Sup guys! I'm resorting to this forum, because I know the caliber of people that roam around here. I have a Surface Pro 4 - i5 w/ 8GB of RAM, and it's been painfully slow to do basic tasks. Excel, Web Browsing , Opening the Task Manager takes a lot; mouse lag; and maybe...