Why the desktop PC is far from dead

Discus and support Why the desktop PC is far from dead in Windows 10 News on Windows 10 Forums to solve the problem; Pundits love making bold proclamations that things are dead, and if the commentators are to be believed, the desktop PC needs to get ready for the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Read more: Why the desktop PC is far from dead | ZDNet

:)

Brink, Jan 20, 2015
  2. bhringer Win User
    bhringer, Jan 20, 2015
  3. jcsjcd Win User
    N97 and Ovi Maps 3.03

thks

when nokia knows the limitations of memory limitations on phone memory why the software is not done in a way to be installed on the e hard disk? i find this very strange from such a company.

why is nokia so undecided on ovi and other software for nokia N97. why it has kept nokia pc suite? and ovi pc suite? then removed the ovi files services? there is so much confusion and people like me do not the time to work in such a confused environment.

i enjoyed using palm mobile as it gave me the possibility to synch data with the desktop version and i held an easy backup in case mobile phone went dead or handicapped.

i advice nokia to come out with such a simple desktop version and to include the days' name in the calendar too.

jimmy

jcsjcd, Jan 20, 2015
  4. Rickkins Win User

Well, I've been saying that all along....

Rickkins, Jan 20, 2015
  5. Fahadking07 Win User
    Hello,

I still prefer Desktop PCs/laptops, we can do almost all the things in it than compare to Tablets or smartphones. The main reason for the growth of tablets and smartphones is 'They are easy to use'. We can simply take example of Android, go to Google Play and download required apps from it, they are usually virus free. But if we consider Windows, we don't have proper place to download apps, in fact, there are lot of gifts (advertisements/useless softwares) available with the downloaded apps in Windows. People those who are beginners face difficulties in running Windows/Mac/Linux but they feel much better while using Tablets/smartphones.
    I may blame advertisements for it.

Fahadking07, Jan 21, 2015
  6. adamf Win User
    You have. I disagree with most of what you say but you have indeed been saying that all along.

The ZD guy is an ass. If you work for even a medium size company you use the PC (computer/terminal whatever) you are given. You might be given VPN access to access the minimum you require.

BYOD? Seriously in real life this doesn't happen.

adamf, Jan 21, 2015
  7. adamf Win User
    However you must admit a laptop is easier to take on the plane.

adamf, Jan 21, 2015
  8. Fahadking07 Win User

However you must admit a laptop is easier to take on the plane. Yes, I agree.

Fahadking07, Jan 21, 2015
  9. Rickkins Win User
    Yea, I'm on the no-fly list so it's not an issue...

Rickkins, Jan 21, 2015
  10. Rickkins Win User
    And that was a joke, no need to alert homeland security...

Rickkins, Jan 21, 2015
  11. Lady Fitzgerald Win User
    Tablets have saturated the market and sales are dropping somewhat while PC sales have started going up again.

Lady Fitzgerald, Jan 21, 2015
  12. adamf Win User
    And that is apropos of what exactly?
    Is this some north american thing about throwing not particularly good things out of airplane windows?

adamf, Jan 21, 2015
  13. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

I said (and if you scroll back in the past posts you can see I was almost laughed off the site when I predicted that slabs were only a temporary phase) that slabs (at least the Non convertible types) were just a passing fad - and the Market has borne this out. PC's made the largest come back over the Xmas period for several years while sales of slabs are falling and continue to fall.

Convertibles such as Ms surface pro 3 probably get the best of both worlds. Ms hasn't been so dumb as a lot of people think. They really though do need to kill off RT - it's not going anywhere.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 21, 2015
  14. Lady Fitzgerald Win User
    And that is apropos of what exactly?
    Is this some north american thing about throwing not particularly good things out of airplane windows? Seriously?

Lady Fitzgerald, Jan 21, 2015
  15. adamf Win User
    Perhaps. You can't tell with these Europeans. It could have been a joke.
    The ZD guy was an idiot though. If you work in IT you work with what you are given (I do). If you do it as a hobby you buy what you want.

adamf, Jan 21, 2015
Thema:

Why the desktop PC is far from dead - Similar Threads - Why desktop far

1. Why can't I add desktop shortcuts to the Taskbar in W10 Pro?

in Windows 10 Support
    Why can't I add desktop shortcuts to the Taskbar in W10 Pro?: Hi folks - In Windows 7 this is not an issue, but in W10 it really is - at least for me. I want to take some desktop shortcuts and place then on the Taskbar, but I am not allowed to"Pin" them. Been here: Cannot pin some shortcuts to taskbar Solved - Windows 10 Forums No go...
  2. Why is Network 3 showing on my desktop PC?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why is Network 3 showing on my desktop PC?: Hello all, I just noticed when I hover over the Network symbol in task bar it says 'Network 3'? I don't think it said that before? It simply said 'Network'. I think? My setup * Only PC on network is my desktop connected by LAN to modem. * We connect smart phones &...
  3. why doesn't w10 wanna keep my desktop folders icon where i want to set

in Windows 10 Support
    why doesn't w10 wanna keep my desktop folders icon where i want to set: hi i create a folder (utility )on my desktop with some utility inside (programs , mostly portable ) i drag the icon of the folder (called utility )on the right up corner of the monitor right now i have the recylce bin on the left up corner and my folder(called...
  4. Why is my desktop/computer resetting itself after restarting??

in Windows 10 Support
    Why is my desktop/computer resetting itself after restarting??: I tend to change things around sometimes (like pictures, icons) on my desktop and occasionally my computer freezes, usually during a game or something. Upon restarting, it seems like Windows reverts the desktop to what it looked like a couple of hours ago, before I had...
  5. Why did Windows 10 doubled most of the icons on my desktop?

in Windows 10 Support
    Why did Windows 10 doubled most of the icons on my desktop?: win10 doubled the icons on my desktop (AT RANDOM). While I was cleaning up the mess, win10 deleted most of the icons I told it to keep. COMPLETELY AT RANDOM. no input for me. What is up?*Mad 45465
  6. Why do I see 'Test Mode Windows 10 Pro Build 10586' on my desktop?

in Windows 10 Support
    Why do I see 'Test Mode Windows 10 Pro Build 10586' on my desktop?: Sorry about the basic question but I thought build 10586 was a public release, so why do I see this message on my desktop? 29992
  7. Why do app windows not snap fully to the left/right side of desktop?

in Windows 10 Support
    Why do app windows not snap fully to the left/right side of desktop?: This does not occur when using start + arrow keys to snap app windows. I have a few apps arranged on my desktop just by manually moving them where I want. Skype for example, if you move torward the edge of the screen it will "snap" however on the left or right there is a...