Windows 10: Why the desktop PC is far from dead

Discus and support Why the desktop PC is far from dead in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Pundits love making bold proclamations that things are dead, and if the commentators are to be believed, the desktop PC needs to get ready for the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Why the desktop PC is far from dead

Read more: Why the desktop PC is far from dead | ZDNet

:)

Brink, Jan 20, 2015
  2. bhringer Win User
    bhringer, Jan 20, 2015
  3. jcsjcd Win User
    N97 and Ovi Maps 3.03

thks

when nokia knows the limitations of memory limitations on phone memory why the software is not done in a way to be installed on the e hard disk? i find this very strange from such a company.

why is nokia so undecided on ovi and other software for nokia N97. why it has kept nokia pc suite? and ovi pc suite? then removed the ovi files services? there is so much confusion and people like me do not the time to work in such a confused environment.

i enjoyed using palm mobile as it gave me the possibility to synch data with the desktop version and i held an easy backup in case mobile phone went dead or handicapped.

i advice nokia to come out with such a simple desktop version and to include the days' name in the calendar too.

jimmy

jcsjcd, Jan 20, 2015
  4. Rickkins Win User

Well, I've been saying that all along....

Rickkins, Jan 20, 2015
  5. Fahadking07 Win User
    Hello,

I still prefer Desktop PCs/laptops, we can do almost all the things in it than compare to Tablets or smartphones. The main reason for the growth of tablets and smartphones is 'They are easy to use'. We can simply take example of Android, go to Google Play and download required apps from it, they are usually virus free. But if we consider Windows, we don't have proper place to download apps, in fact, there are lot of gifts (advertisements/useless softwares) available with the downloaded apps in Windows. People those who are beginners face difficulties in running Windows/Mac/Linux but they feel much better while using Tablets/smartphones.
    I may blame advertisements for it.

Fahadking07, Jan 20, 2015
  6. adamf Win User
    You have. I disagree with most of what you say but you have indeed been saying that all along.

The ZD guy is an ass. If you work for even a medium size company you use the PC (computer/terminal whatever) you are given. You might be given VPN access to access the minimum you require.

BYOD? Seriously in real life this doesn't happen.

adamf, Jan 20, 2015
  7. adamf Win User
    However you must admit a laptop is easier to take on the plane.

adamf, Jan 20, 2015
  8. Fahadking07 Win User

However you must admit a laptop is easier to take on the plane. Yes, I agree.

Fahadking07, Jan 20, 2015
  9. Rickkins Win User
    Yea, I'm on the no-fly list so it's not an issue...

Rickkins, Jan 20, 2015
  10. Rickkins Win User
    And that was a joke, no need to alert homeland security...

Rickkins, Jan 20, 2015
  11. Lady Fitzgerald Win User
    Tablets have saturated the market and sales are dropping somewhat while PC sales have started going up again.

Lady Fitzgerald, Jan 20, 2015
  12. adamf Win User
    And that is apropos of what exactly?
    Is this some north american thing about throwing not particularly good things out of airplane windows?

adamf, Jan 20, 2015
  13. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

I said (and if you scroll back in the past posts you can see I was almost laughed off the site when I predicted that slabs were only a temporary phase) that slabs (at least the Non convertible types) were just a passing fad - and the Market has borne this out. PC's made the largest come back over the Xmas period for several years while sales of slabs are falling and continue to fall.

Convertibles such as Ms surface pro 3 probably get the best of both worlds. Ms hasn't been so dumb as a lot of people think. They really though do need to kill off RT - it's not going anywhere.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 20, 2015
  14. Lady Fitzgerald Win User
    And that is apropos of what exactly?
    Is this some north american thing about throwing not particularly good things out of airplane windows? Seriously?

Lady Fitzgerald, Jan 20, 2015
  15. adamf Win User
    Perhaps. You can't tell with these Europeans. It could have been a joke.
    The ZD guy was an idiot though. If you work in IT you work with what you are given (I do). If you do it as a hobby you buy what you want.

adamf, Jan 20, 2015
Thema:

1. Why the desktop PC is far from dead - Similar Threads - Why desktop far

2. Transfer license from the dead

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transfer license from the dead: My laptop died, as in the cylinders were ratting around. Idiot me tossed it before it dawned on me that I might not get full windows 10 on my new laptop. Which turned out to be a Surface - it comes with Windows 10 S (which seems to be a 'we want to protect you from...
  3. Desktop name was change, why?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop name was change, why?: I was troubleshooting a problem and found that my Desktop name was changed. How do I change it to something else? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-name-was-change-why/ccbc6d4f-dbf3-47c1-85be-1dd3f9a51f35
  4. Windows 10 reset - PC now dead

Windows 10 reset - PC now dead: Following multiple issues with Windows 10 I decided to reset. It took several hours and when I came back to my PC there was just a black screen. By pressing F2 when booting up I can enter ‘Recovery’ where it tells me ‘It looks like windows hasn’t loaded correctly’. Using...
  5. Windows 10 transfer from dead computer

Windows 10 transfer from dead computer: I have a laptop which had Windows 10 installed (probably from an upgrade from 8 or 7) and a PC running Windows 7. The laptop's HDD has partially crashed. Is there any way I can transfer the Win 10 licence from the laptop to the PC? Can I boot the laptop into DOS or something...
  6. Remove "Dead Apps" from Notifications

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remove "Dead Apps" from Notifications: I have the following in Notifications [img] I have uninstalled Screenshot Captor, I have run CCleaner over the Registry, I removed all traces of Screenshot Captor from the registry and I've rebooted - yet the Notification list still has those nine entries in for...
  7. PC Dead (maybe)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    PC Dead (maybe): OK over the last 2 months my pc has just shut down for no reason and the only way to get it to turn back on is to pull the plug from the wall and wait a few seconds. It has done this about 3 times. Last night playing ARK my game froze and the only way to get back to the...
  8. Why is Network 3 showing on my desktop PC?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why is Network 3 showing on my desktop PC?: Hello all, I just noticed when I hover over the Network symbol in task bar it says 'Network 3'? I don't think it said that before? It simply said 'Network'. I think? My setup * Only PC on network is my desktop connected by LAN to modem. * We connect smart phones &...
  9. Remove Dropdown Arrow on This PC Icon from desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Remove Dropdown Arrow on This PC Icon from desktop: Thanks Edwin! That was the culprit and I was able to remove. I appreciate the assistance!
  10. Dead links on desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Dead links on desktop: I have two sets of links on my desktop. One set acts exactly as they should, the other set is a mystery. They appeared spontaneously. I'd blame an upgrade, but I'm not sure. The other set, the dead links, cannot be dragged. Clicking on them does nothing. Resizing the desktop...