Windows 10: Why there is no sound when play .mkv video?

Discus and support Why there is no sound when play .mkv video? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Why some .mkv file has no sound playing with Movies & TV or WMP? while VCL can play it properly? Is there another issue with Audio driver and Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by WalkerBD, Jan 2, 2019.

1. WalkerBD Win User

Why there is no sound when play .mkv video?

Why some .mkv file has no sound playing with Movies & TV or WMP? while VCL can play it properly?

Is there another issue with Audio driver and Windows 10!?

:)

WalkerBD, Jan 2, 2019

2. Audio disappeared - got it back but now have odd mkv problem

Hi. While working at my Windows 10 PC yesterday, I realised there was no sound. My media players gave video only and Avidemux gave a warning “Trouble Initializing Audio Device”. All the obvious checks suggested that there was no problem, drivers were up to date etc.

I went to the sound icon in the system tray and clicked 'Troubleshoot sound problems' which told me it had fixed something but didn't say what. I now have my sound back but with some new issues:

• my WMP no longer plays mkv files
    • my mkv files no longer show a 'thumbnail', just the logo of whichever media player is set to play them.
    Can anyone suggest what on Earth happened yesterday? Many thanks.

UPDATE: I've found one or two mkv files that DO work with WMP and show thumbnails(!!). But the vast majority of my mkv's have the highlighted problem. All very odd...

dortmunder, Jan 2, 2019
  3. no sound in dts, dolby mkv videos in windows media player- windows 10

I have updated my system with windows 10 home edition on july 29th...... I am able to play mkv videos but the problem I am facing in some videos that r DTS or Dolby decoded (AUDIO)....

There is no sound present in that videos I was able to play it on VLC without any issues .....pl help me in this or suggest me a Microsoft certified Codec pack.....

LakshyaKapila, Jan 2, 2019
  4. Why there is no sound when play .mkv video?

Problem with mkv Files

Hi,

Experiencing issues in playing mkv files after an update may have something to do with the video card driver. If you have another mkv player app or program, we suggest that you try playing those files using another app or program to help us sort out this
    issue.

If in case the issue persists, we suggest running video troubleshooter. Just click
    Find and fix problems playing movies, television, or video on this
    link.

You may also try rolling back the video card driver. Follow these steps:

• Right-click the Windows key and select Device Manager.
    • Locate and right-click your display adapter, then select Properties.
    • Select the Driver tab and click the Roll Back Driver option.

Let us know how it goes so we can further assist you.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Jan 2, 2019
Thema:

Why there is no sound when play .mkv video?

1. Why there is no sound when play .mkv video? - Similar Threads - Why sound play

2. Dark videos when reproducing MKV files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dark videos when reproducing MKV files: Hi. ASUS Vivobook PRO, IntelR CoreTM i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz, IntelR HD Graphics 630. Windows 11 Home, Version 22H2 Build 22621.2428. Drivers up-to-date. When I try to watch MKV videos on VLC, they look much darker than they should be. Not an application issue because I tried...
  3. Dark videos when reproducing MKV files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dark videos when reproducing MKV files: Hi. ASUS Vivobook PRO, IntelR CoreTM i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz, IntelR HD Graphics 630. Windows 11 Home, Version 22H2 Build 22621.2428. Drivers up-to-date. When I try to watch MKV videos on VLC, they look much darker than they should be. Not an application issue because I tried...
  4. Crackling sound when playing video files.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Crackling sound when playing video files.: So over the last few weeks, i've noticed an occasional crackling sound when playing video files on windows 10. It affects, youtube & netflix in chrome and edge as well as from files on my pc. I've uninstalled updated all video and sound drivers, rolled back windows,...
  5. Can't find ".mkv" videos

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't find ".mkv" videos: Hi, I am having trouble with mkv files. When I copy a folder containing ".mkv" video to my laptop, only the folder get pasted. There is no video in it. What is the problem and how can I fix this?...
  6. can't play error 0xc00d36cb when i am playing some videos MKV format ?

in Windows 10 Customization
    can't play error 0xc00d36cb when i am playing some videos MKV format ?: how to fix this error . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-play-error-0xc00d36cb-when-i-am-playing-some/857bc0b9-36dc-4f8b-9321-cf27cd6816f0
  7. No sound when playing video files on Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    No sound when playing video files on Windows 10: I've reached a problem on my computer today when i tried to watch a movie. My video files (all of them) have no sound when played, even though yesterday it was all okay. I've tried more media players including vlc, bs player, windows media player; none of them works. I...
  8. movies & TV app can't play sound in mkv files?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    movies & TV app can't play sound in mkv files?: movies & TV app can't play sound in mkv files? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/movies-tv-app-cant-play-sound-in-mkv-files/021849a8-e4e1-4a71-91d2-d47b43b98998
  9. When pausing a youtube video sound increases on play

in Browsers and Email
    When pausing a youtube video sound increases on play: There are also volume sliders for each browser - take a look to see if those change when you pause (right-click the Windows volume tray icon->Open Volume Mixer). [img]
  10. W-10 Sound Fades When Playing Videos.....

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    W-10 Sound Fades When Playing Videos.....: I had to do a re-set on my laptop and one of the side effects is now when ever I watch a Video no matter if on Facebook or You Tube the sound starts out OK but it fades. I searched the Tutorials and found nothing... Thanks . Eventually I will get this computer to be...