Windows 10: Why touchpad glitches when Ethernet cable is connected?

Discus and support Why touchpad glitches when Ethernet cable is connected? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; hi all, I have an Asus Vivobook without Ethernet card so in order to plug an ethernet i need to use an usb3 to ethernet gigabit adapter..... just... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by gabgab, Jun 7, 2019.

1. gabgab Win User

Why touchpad glitches when Ethernet cable is connected?

hi all,

I have an Asus Vivobook without Ethernet card so in order to plug an ethernet i need to use an usb3 to ethernet gigabit adapter..... just recently i noticed some funny behaviour and it seems i am not alone, basically, when

the Ethernet is plugged, the laptops's touchpad starts glitching: can't move/press buttons, cursor is oscillating even when I don't move finger. or if i keep the finger on it will start moving oddly.

If i unplug the adaptor and stay on wifi then it's back to normal.

I am about to open the notebook and check connections onto the touchpad but i am not 100% sure that will solve anything...

otherwise yes i have an external mouse, but any ideas? i remember using a small usb3 hub and i dont remember all this oscillating...is that an electrical interference? I have a new ISP and that's delivered over TV coax cable via router.

person with same case laptop - Why touchpad glitches when Ethernet cable is connected? - Super User

thanks,
    Gabrio

:)

gabgab, Jun 7, 2019
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Ethernet cable settings

Hi Campbell,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Please reply to the follow questions to get a better understanding on the issue:

• What is the model number of your laptop?
    • Do you have a yellow exclamation on the network icon after connecting the cat 7 cable?

However, you can follow the troubleshooting steps from
    Fix network connection issues in Windows

Also, I suggest you to check the laptop manual or laptop manufacturer to know whether the Ethernet port of your laptop supports cat 7 cable.

Hope it helps.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jun 7, 2019
  3. RCoon Win User
    Ethernet Cable connection in Dorms

Press start
    Type in "network", and select "Network and Sharing Centre"
    Click on Change Adapter Settings at the left.
    Check if you have two, one ethernet and one wireles.
    If you only have one, wireless, your ethernet driver is not installed (refer to website of manufacturer for driver)
    If you have two, and the ethernet cable is plugged in but the adapter is not connected - buy a new cable.
    Check with university site management to see if they have purposefully disabled physical network connection.

RCoon, Jun 7, 2019
  4. Why touchpad glitches when Ethernet cable is connected?

Ethernet Connection

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

We would like to ask additional information that will help us in resolving the issue.

• What kind of computer are you using? Is it a desktop or a laptop?
    • Did you make any recent changes to your computer?
    • Have you tried troubleshooting the issue by yourself? If yes, what were the steps you have taken so far?

I would suggest you to try the following and check:

• Verify that the cable connects the modem to the wall jack is connected securely.
    • Verify that the cable connects the computer to the modem is attached securely at both ends.
    • Restart the router/modem.

Follow the steps and let us know if it helps.

JericDale Ort, Jun 7, 2019
Thema:

Why touchpad glitches when Ethernet cable is connected?

1. Why touchpad glitches when Ethernet cable is connected? - Similar Threads - Why touchpad glitches

2. Unnamed "Ethernet Connection" even when Ethernet cable disconnected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unnamed "Ethernet Connection" even when Ethernet cable disconnected: Appears even when an actual cable is connected, right below it.ipconfig and others show no such connectionAtempting to open properties will redirect / close the windowDisabling ethernet device does nothing:...
  3. Unnamed "Ethernet Connection" even when Ethernet cable disconnected

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unnamed "Ethernet Connection" even when Ethernet cable disconnected: Appears even when an actual cable is connected, right below it.ipconfig and others show no such connectionAtempting to open properties will redirect / close the windowDisabling ethernet device does nothing:...
  4. Ethernet Cable Connection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ethernet Cable Connection: Hi so Ive had my pc for a couple years now and never had any issues with internet or anything. Just last week I saw that my ethernet cable wasnt working. ive replace the cable and have checked the drivers and uninstalled and reinstalled drivers but nothing seems to be...
  5. Ethernet Cable Connection

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ethernet Cable Connection: Hi so Ive had my pc for a couple years now and never had any issues with internet or anything. Just last week I saw that my ethernet cable wasnt working. ive replace the cable and have checked the drivers and uninstalled and reinstalled drivers but nothing seems to be...
  6. Ethernet Cable Connection

7. Blue Screen when ethernet cable is connected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blue Screen when ethernet cable is connected: Hello there,my PC crashes every time I connect the Ethernet cable. This happens after starting the PC and about 10 - 15 seconds after my desktop is displayed. And this every time. I did not recognize the error for a long time until I removed the Ethernet cable once and then...
  8. Blue Screen when ethernet cable is connected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Blue Screen when ethernet cable is connected: Hello there,my PC crashes every time I connect the Ethernet cable. This happens after starting the PC and about 10 - 15 seconds after my desktop is displayed. And this every time. I did not recognize the error for a long time until I removed the Ethernet cable once and then...
  9. Ethernet Cable Connected, But No Ethernet

Ethernet Cable Connected, But No Ethernet: I have my ethernet cable plugged in and my computer detects that it has been plugged in but it just says ethernet no internet. I've had this problem for a while and i believe that it started after an update. Its getting really annoying and ive tried some things across the...
  10. Why touchpad glitches when Ethernet cable is connected?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Why touchpad glitches when Ethernet cable is connected?: hi all, I have an Asus Vivobook without Ethernet card so in order to plug an ethernet i need to use an usb3 to ethernet gigabit adapter..... just recently i noticed some funny behaviour and it seems i am not alone, basically, when the Ethernet is plugged, the laptops's...