Windows 10: Why use advanced file sharing instead of or in addition to regular

Discus and support Why use advanced file sharing instead of or in addition to regular in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; This is a question that I found multiple answers to with Google. Some of them seem to contradict others. All users have an account on the system the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by questorfla, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Why use advanced file sharing instead of or in addition to regular

This is a question that I found multiple answers to with Google. Some of them seem to contradict others.

All users have an account on the system the files are shared from. The OS is Windows 10 Pro 1809 Pro.When sharing files from a system on a network where ALL the people the files are shared with are either:
    A: On the local network with same IP sub-net settings. OR
    B: Connected to that notwork over a VPN which has them assigned with an IP in the local network.
    Is there any reason or need to enable Advanced File Sharing in addition to normal sharing? One bad thing I see is that advanced sharing adds "Everybody" to the "shared with" list by default which has to be removed.
    At one point in time, I thought I had read that 'advanced sharing' was needed if the shares were going to be accessed remotely. But I now believe that might be 'remotely' as in using a tool other than a VPN to connect to the main system in the first place. As far as I can tell, the people who DO have advanced option turned "On" have no additional capabilities to their folders that the Users who do NOT have Advanced Sharing enabled also have.

If someone could shed some additional light on this, I would like to remove the advanced sharing option from the Users that have it due to the fact that it does allow that users name to be seen by anyone on the network with access to the system. Even though it does not allow anyone to access their files, it would be preferable to only display the files shared with each user rather than a full list of all shared folders.

Until i know for sure, I am a little worried about "fixing something that isn't' actually broken". But I also don't want to leave enabled a feature that the other users have no need for.

:)

questorfla, Jan 25, 2019

2. File Sharing

Hi Dwayne,

The ability to share files within your homegroup can be set based on your preference in the HomeGroup settings. For us to identify if the file sharing issue is caused by the update or an option not being retained in the HomeGroup setting, we'd like to ask
    for additional details. Please answer the following:

• Aside from installing an update, have you also made any recent changes to the HomeGroup settings?
    • What specific update have you installed before the file sharing stopped working? To check the Update history, follow these steps:
    • On the Search bar, type Settings.
    • Open the Settings app from the search result.
    • Click Update & security and check the Windows Update section.
    • Click the Update history link.
    • Have you already checked if the file and printer sharing is enabled in the
      Advanced sharing settings
      in the Control Panel?
    • What build and version of Windows 10 are you using?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried based on the threads that you've read?
    For initial troubleshooting, you can run the built-in troubleshooter for HomeGroup by following the steps below:

• On the Search bar, type Troubleshoot.
    • Open the Control Panel from the search result.
    • Click View all and locate HomeGroup.
    • Click HomeGroup and follow the on-screen guide to run the troubleshooter.
    We hope to hear from you soon.

Jennifer Cha, Jan 25, 2019
  3. Windows 10 Share on right click

I recently right clicked on a sensitive file and instead of clicking on Open with, accidentally clicked on the Share button. The following window popped up:

Why use advanced file sharing instead of or in addition to regular [​IMG]

I immediately pressed the Esc key and the window disappeared. Does this window automatically share the file with the contacts listed in this window? Or would I have had to select a contact and go through additional steps to actually share the file? I'm worried that I've shared sensitive financial information with contacts that really shouldn't have seen them.

commodorejim, Jan 25, 2019
  4. woodpitch Win User

Why use advanced file sharing instead of or in addition to regular

advanced sharing settings

Two of my 3 machines are on 1803 and cannot share files. The other machine was still on the older version. I restored the 1803 machines to their older versions and now all 3 machines can see each other, so I know this is an 1803 problem. I tried to fix
    the sharing problem by doing the usual folder Share procedures, but it do no good. I did not know about your suggestion on this site and therefore did not do step 3. I am hoping that your procedure will work, because I see that 1803 is being downloaded on
    my machines as I am writing this note.

Thanks in advance for your help as I will be needing it in the next few hours

woodpitch, Jan 25, 2019
Thema:

Why use advanced file sharing instead of or in addition to regular

1. Why use advanced file sharing instead of or in addition to regular - Similar Threads - Why advanced file

2. File Share setting will not save on Manage Advanced Sharing Settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Share setting will not save on Manage Advanced Sharing Settings: I experienced this problem after I can only assume an update to windows 11 features or a security update. Cannot nail down what caused it.Every time I clicked the save button after selecting the [turn on file and printer sharing] and then returned to look at the setting it...
  3. File Share setting will not save on Manage Advanced Sharing Settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Share setting will not save on Manage Advanced Sharing Settings: I experienced this problem after I can only assume an update to windows 11 features or a security update. Cannot nail down what caused it.Every time I clicked the save button after selecting the [turn on file and printer sharing] and then returned to look at the setting it...
  4. Why are OneDrive icons or shortcut showing on desktop in addition to my regular computer...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why are OneDrive icons or shortcut showing on desktop in addition to my regular computer...: Why are OneDrive icons or shortcut showing on desktop in addition to my regular computer shortcuts It is very confusing as to which icons load what...
  5. Why are OneDrive icons or shortcut showing on desktop in addition to my regular computer...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why are OneDrive icons or shortcut showing on desktop in addition to my regular computer...: Why are OneDrive icons or shortcut showing on desktop in addition to my regular computer shortcuts It is very confusing as to which icons load what...
  6. Hotkeys being used instead of regular letters

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hotkeys being used instead of regular letters: Hi everyone, I've been having this problem quite often on my Windows 10, and it happens only when I am using Anydesk to control another computer. If I use a shortcut such as Win + Down, the Anydesk computer and my own start to only respond to hotkeys and I don't know what to...
  7. why will network and Sharing Center Advanced sharing settings not save Turn on sharing so...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    why will network and Sharing Center Advanced sharing settings not save Turn on sharing so...: Why is Microsoft updates team so stupid, lazy, corrupt, or ignorant that they cannot check before an update what that computer network advanced sharing settings are and then return them correctly after an update? This farce has been going on for over two years, and they...
  8. Regular command prompt on Advanced startup

Regular command prompt on Advanced startup: Is it possible to access regular Command Prompt (non-administrator command prompt), through advanced startup? If so, how do i get to it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/regular-command-prompt-on-advanced-startup/b480184b-f422-4c56-8214-c0274f294009"
  9. Why use advanced file sharing instead of or in addition to regular

in Windows 10 Support
    Why use advanced file sharing instead of or in addition to regular: This is a question that I found multiple answers to with Google. Some of them seem to contradict others. All users have an account on the system the files are shared from. The OS is Windows 10 Pro 1809 Pro.When sharing files from a system on a network where ALL the people...
  10. Advanced sharing query.

Advanced sharing query.: I have four computers on a network. (Two are 32 bit and two are 64 bit) On three of these, if I wish to share a folder - when I go to "GIVE ACCESS TO" - I get the usual choices. On the remaining machine, I get the one choice "ADVANCED SHARING". How can I bring this into...