Windows 10: Why was I not asked for a product key when upgrading to Win 10?

Discus and support Why was I not asked for a product key when upgrading to Win 10? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I recently (just a few days ago) upgraded my computer from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Why was I not asked for a product key? It shows in System... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by NeedUpgradeHelp, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Why was I not asked for a product key when upgrading to Win 10?

Hi,

I recently (just a few days ago) upgraded my computer from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Why was I not asked for a product key? It shows in System Properties that Windows 10 is activated. How could that happen when I did not enter a product key?

Thanks.

:)

NeedUpgradeHelp, Jan 21, 2020
  2. dalchina Win User

Why was I not asked for a product key when upgrading to Win 10?

According to your spec you have Win 10 Pro, but perhaps that doesn't reflect your PC.

You haven't stated which edition of Win 10 you have on this machine, nor what your Win 10 key is for.

For example, if you already have Win 10 Pro and your key is Win 10 Home, that would be a retrograde step.

For interest only:
    Change Product Key in Windows 10

More on product key if you search this list or look at 'Related Tutorials' in the above.
    Windows 10 Tutorial Index

dalchina, Jan 21, 2020
  3. NavyLCDR Win User
    win 10 upgrade asking for product key

An upgrade to Windows 10 running properly will not ask for a product key. Are you sure the version on the USB is the exact same version as the previous operating system on the computer you are trying to upgrade? Pro or home; N, standard, or Single Language Version? If you continue with an upgrade that is asking for a product key, it will not activate.

A clean install will ask for a product key, and that can be skipped. Unless you have purchased a license for Windows 10 that has it's own unique product key, you should never enter a product key when upgrading or clean installing Windows 10.

NavyLCDR, Jan 21, 2020
  4. Scotty h Win User

win 10 upgrade asking for product key

Hi, on my work laptop, i have received the win 10 app and it was ready to upgrade, As it was my work laptop I did not at the time but I did use the download to create a USB and I have updated two personal PCs with no issue.
    I now have permission to upgrade the original work laptop so I am running the setup.exe file on the usb. Upgrade starts but it then asks for the product key. I enter the win 7 key that I have (from a key finder program). The upgrade then states 'this product key did't work' No option to skip just re-enter.
    I do recall the update process starting and I canceled it.
    Win 7 professional is genuine. fully updated with sp1.
    Win 7 is working fine.
    Win 10 app now states it will notify me when it is ready to install.

Could the canceled upgrade have already noted the win 10 product key in some way?

Any help would be great.

Scotty h, Jan 21, 2020
Thema:

1. Why was I not asked for a product key when upgrading to Win 10? - Similar Threads - Why was asked

2. Upgraded to Windows 10, now asking for product key to activate

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgraded to Windows 10, now asking for product key to activate: I have been running Windows 7 for many years and successfully used the free upgrade to Windows 10. The new operating system was working ok. However, when I logged on today there was a message to activate windows. Apparently the system was now requiring a product key! I was...
  3. I was asked for product key while upgrading to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I was asked for product key while upgrading to Windows 10: Hi, I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 two years ago. I don't remember whether I was given a product key during the upgrade. A month ago, I had the blue screen problem and no matter how I tried, the problem could not be resolved. So I reinstalled my purchased Windows 7....
  4. Why didn't windows 10 ask for a product key?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Why didn't windows 10 ask for a product key?: Hi I have a laptop which has been running windows 7 Pro for some years. I had to replace the HDD and decided at the same time to install Windows 10 instead of 7. So I downloaded it from the Microsoft website, on a different laptop straight onto a USB stick, and installed...
  5. Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant asking for product key

Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant asking for product key: Hello, I have been trying to upgrade from Windows Update, but for some reason it won't work, so I thought I can use the Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant. Once the "Updating to Windows 10" section is complete, it will open a Windows 10 Setup window. It asks for product key. I...
  6. win 10 upgrade asking for product key

win 10 upgrade asking for product key: Hi, on my work laptop, i have received the win 10 app and it was ready to upgrade, As it was my work laptop I did not at the time but I did use the download to create a USB and I have updated two personal PCs with no issue. I now have permission to upgrade the original work...
  7. Product Key (Win 7) not accepted when upgrading to 10

Product Key (Win 7) not accepted when upgrading to 10: I started the upgrade from Win 7 Home Premium to 10. I entered the product key, but get the message "Product Key didn't work". I have repeated this several times - I have the original disk & label, checked the key is correct via Belarc Advisor, have a message from Microsoft...
  8. Upgrade to Windows 10 asking for Product Key

Upgrade to Windows 10 asking for Product Key: I was going to install Windows 10 via the Media Creation Tool but I chose the second option, 'Create installation media for another PC' thinking it could be helpful in the future. I was able to successfully download it then tried installing it right after that. There came...
  9. windows 10 upgrade asking for product key

windows 10 upgrade asking for product key: i have downloaded the windows 10(home x64) ISO file and made a USB flash device using it,and now whenever i try to upgrade my LAPTOP(it came with original windows pre-installed) it asks for a product key and there is no "skip" option available all i see is next and back...
  10. Win 8.1 -> 10 asks for the product key and can't skip

Win 8.1 -> 10 asks for the product key and can't skip: Hi guys, original win 8 updated to 8.1 what to do? the key from win 8 doesn't work tried install from the booting usb, but also can't skip tried istalling from the media creation tool, went to 100% and nothing happened. did it 3 times. [img] 15580