Windows 10: Why was my "system managed" pagefile so small?

Discus and support Why was my "system managed" pagefile so small? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have been trying to sort out a performance issue on my HP desktop Windows computer. Various windows were giving not responding messages and I noted... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by ElliotGingold, Apr 6, 2021.

1. Why was my "system managed" pagefile so small?

I have been trying to sort out a performance issue on my HP desktop Windows computer. Various windows were giving not responding messages and I noted that the memory utilisation at these times was over 95%. I am not at all clear about why it was that high - I was mostly only running one browser Chrome and Outlook at this time and the only other large memory utiliser was Kaspersky anti-virus. I would have thought that my 8GB of physical memory should have been enough to handle this load. So this was a pain!

I guessed that my issue might have something to do with the Virtual memory and files needing to be swapped in and out. I discovered that my pagefile size was set as "system managed size" and was 6,656 MB. I have 8GB of RAM so using the 1.5x rule it should have been at least 12,288 MB.

I decided to see if increasing the VM by adding a second pagefile to another partition using custom settings. So I set up a second pagefile on to another partition which increased the total available VM size to just over the recommended size. I was not confident this would fix things, but it did. My "Memory utilisation" figure has now settled to a figure just over 60%. And everything is running smoothly.

So my question is why the "system managed" page file was set so small by the Windows system? And why increasing the available VM actually reduced the amount of physical memory being used? I note from Task Manager that currently only 4.8 GB of the 7.9 GB of physical RAM is being used. Previous to my VM expansion it was close to all of it.

I love fixing things, but I like to know why the fix worked! Any ideas appreciated.

:)

ElliotGingold, Apr 6, 2021

2. Clear Pagefile on Shutdown

I've been looking into clearing the pagefile, and I found the following steps at a somewhat dated webpage:
    1. In the registry editor, navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management
    2. Set ClearPageFileAtShutdown to the REG_DWORD value of 1.
    3. Restart Windows.
    I'm just wondering whether those steps are still valid, and, if so, does clearing the pagefile work as advertised?

gregyurkon, Apr 6, 2021
  3. RothG Win User
    How to efficiently manage a huge pagefil and hiberfil

By default, Windows 10 automatically manages the Pagefile according to your computer’s configuration and the RAM present in it. The minimum and maximum size of the Pagefile can be up to 1.5 times and 4 times of the physical memory that your computer has,
    respectively. For example, if your computer has 1GB of RAM, the minimum Pagefile size can be 1.5GB, and the maximum size of the file can be 4GB

It is a system file so I do not recommend deleting it. Instead resize it.

Use an administrator account to log on to Windows 10.

From the desktop screen, right-click the Start button to open its context menu.

Click System.

From the left pane of the System window, click Advanced system settings.

On the System Properties box, ensure that you are on the Advanced tab.

Click the Settings button from under the Performance section.

On the Performance Options box, go to the Advanced tab.

Click the Change button from under the Virtual memory section.

On the Virtual Memory box, uncheck the Automatically manage paging file size for all drives checkbox.

From the available list, click to select the drive on which Windows 10 is installed. (C: in most cases.)

From below the list, click to select the Custom size radio button.

In the now-enabled fields, type the minimum and maximum size of the Pagefile in megabytes (MB) according to the physical memory present in your computer.

You can set the page file to the same size min/max to improve performance slightly.

Click Set and then click OK.

Restart your computer when you're done.

For the Hibernation file By default the file is 75% of your RAM amount – a computer with 4 GB of RAM would have a 3.5 GB hiberfil.sys file.

This can be be changed to any other amount between 50% – 100% – however if Windows needs more than the amount you have allocated the computer will fail to enter hiberation.

The steps below show how to change the size of the hiberfil.sys file.

Click on the Windows search bar and type cmd

Right click on ‘Cmmand Prompt’ and click on ‘Run as administrator’

Windows10-ReduceHibernateSpace2

In this example we will be changing the amount from the default 75% to the minimum 50%. If you are setting a different amount replace 50

Enter the following command and hit enter

powercfg -h -size 50

Windows10-ReduceHibernateSpace3

The hiberfil.sys file will now be changed to the new amount. Click the window using the X at the top right or type exit and hit enter on the keyboard.

RothG, Apr 6, 2021
  4. Clintlgm Win User

Why was my "system managed" pagefile so small?

Huge pagefile

You can't just delete the page file, you would go to system/advanced system properties/performance settings/ advanced tab Virtual Memory there you can uncheck the "Automatically manage Page file size" then you can set the size you want, maybe the 1 GB as suggested by using Max 1gb min 1gb or select no page file at all. As stated earler you don't really need a page file with a SSD.

Clintlgm, Apr 6, 2021
Thema:

Why was my "system managed" pagefile so small?

1. Why was my "system managed" pagefile so small? - Similar Threads - Why was system

2. Why are some font sizes in apps so small?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why are some font sizes in apps so small?: For example, in Excel 365 see below, I had to set the zoom to 160% just so I could read the contents of the cells. Worse yet, when I choose "Format Cells," the text is almost vanishingly small....
  3. Why is this system so terrible?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is this system so terrible?: Second time posting this in the last week. I turned on my computer and it said I incorrectly entered my PIN. I dont use a pin, never have and never will because my brain is capable of remembering more than 4 characters. I'm asking a lot of you to read this ehole thing but...
  4. Why is this system so terrible?

Why is this system so terrible?: Second time posting this in the last week. I turned on my computer and it said I incorrectly entered my PIN. I dont use a pin, never have and never will because my brain is capable of remembering more than 4 characters. I'm asking a lot of you to read this ehole thing but...
  5. Why is this system so terrible?

Why is this system so terrible?: Turn on computerComputer asks for pin instead of passwordType my normal password out of muscle memory before realizing it wants a pinComputer now locks me out for 5 minutes because I entered the wrong pin yoo many times.It was one time ajd my computer was on for about 15...
  6. Why is this system so terrible?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is this system so terrible?: Turn on computerComputer asks for pin instead of passwordType my normal password out of muscle memory before realizing it wants a pinComputer now locks me out for 5 minutes because I entered the wrong pin yoo many times.It was one time ajd my computer was on for about 15...
  7. Why is the image in MIcrosoft's photos app so small?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is the image in MIcrosoft's photos app so small?: Why is the image in MIcrosoft's photos app so small? I could include a screenshot here but I don't see how to attach a document. Hope this isn't too complicated or misstated. Thanks....
  8. Why are my notification banners so small?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why are my notification banners so small?: I was just searching up some acnh fanart and ,my notification on reddit was... really small. i never edited my notify settings.[IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-are-my-notification-banners-so-small/816027a7-1c63-403a-9983-6985d0096342
  9. It's recommended to have a pagefile, so why is there an option to disable it?

It's recommended to have a pagefile, so why is there an option to disable it?: Is it for security purposes, i.e. some people wish to turn it off as another measure, or can there be other reasons? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/its-recommended-to-have-a-pagefile-so-why-is-there/c37e9cfe-1c65-4779-b98a-e21daea90a5b
  10. Why is the Pandora Icon so small on my taskbar?

Why is the Pandora Icon so small on my taskbar?: [ATTACH] I tried looking up about it, but the closest thing I found was when all the icons were small, but only Pandora is small on my computer. I tried restarting my computer, restarting Pandora, asking google, and removing alternate desktops. It still stays the same, so I...