Windows 10: Why was the ability to drag files into the location bar been removed?

Discus and support Why was the ability to drag files into the location bar been removed? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; In the latest update to Windows 11, users have noticed a change that impacts their workflow: the previously available feature to drag and drop files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Justin Thomson, Dec 7, 2023.

1. Why was the ability to drag files into the location bar been removed?

In the latest update to Windows 11, users have noticed a change that impacts their workflow: the previously available feature to drag and drop files directly into the location bar seems to have been disabled. This functionality was a convenient way to quickly navigate to specific directories or move files around within the operating system. Its removal has raised questions and concerns among the user base. Could you provide insight into the rationale behind this decision? Understanding the reasons for such changes is crucial, as it helps users adapt their habits and ensures a smooth transition

:)

Justin Thomson, Dec 7, 2023

2. Drag file to app in Task Bar (to open that file with that app)

Sorry for the thread title in case it's not clear. I came from a Mac so dragging a file to, let's say, the Mail app in the dock would open a new outgoing message in Mail and attach the dragged file. In Windows, I just discovered that depressing the Shift key while dragging a file to the Thunderbird icon in the Task bar would do exactly the same thing (Yeah!). I know that dragging the file to, let's say, Thunderbird, without depressing the Shift key would "pin" that file to the app (in the Task Bar). Is there a way to reverse this behavior so I wouldn't need to use the shift key for the first example? Thanks for any advice/suggestions.

rumplestiltskin, Dec 7, 2023
  3. Firefox Location Bar

Use The Box that is checked

Why was the ability to drag files into the location bar been removed? 194539d1530715443t-firefox-location-bar-capture.jpg

and remove search suggestions

Josey Wales, Dec 7, 2023
  4. Mikky_888 Win User

Why was the ability to drag files into the location bar been removed?

how to successfully pin files to the task bar

I use to be able to drag and drop files onto the task bar and they would reside withing the file list for that program. Since the recent upgrade it appears that I am not able to pin a file to the program on the task bar. Suggestions?

Mikky_888, Dec 7, 2023
Thema:

Why was the ability to drag files into the location bar been removed?

1. Why was the ability to drag files into the location bar been removed? - Similar Threads - Why was ability

2. File drag and drop in address bar broken?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File drag and drop in address bar broken?: Yup. I am reposting this because this exact thing just made me think I was going crazy... I noticed I am not the only sane person here who used this feature frequently. Seeing the Microsoft reps response, I felt the need to repost this because the only person who could do...
  3. File drag and drop in address bar broken?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File drag and drop in address bar broken?: Yup. I am reposting this because this exact thing just made me think I was going crazy... I noticed I am not the only sane person here who used this feature frequently. Seeing the Microsoft reps response, I felt the need to repost this because the only person who could do...
  4. Why do I drag the file and it freezes?

Why do I drag the file and it freezes?: When I drag a file in Windows, it freezes after a few seconds And it bothers me a lot. I updated Windows and ran all the Windows CMD repair codes. I did most of the solutions, but it's not resolved, what should I do? My Windows 10 is the latest version.please help me...
  5. Why was the ability to drag files into the location bar been removed?

Why was the ability to drag files into the location bar been removed?: In the latest update to Windows 11, users have noticed a change that impacts their workflow: the previously available feature to drag and drop files directly into the location bar seems to have been disabled. This functionality was a convenient way to quickly navigate to...
  6. Windows 11 and ability to drag apps to desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 and ability to drag apps to desktop: I'd like to be able to drag my Office Products Word, PP, Excel, etc. to the desktop. I can't seem to do this - it turns into a link on a browser when I do Bing. Is there a workaround? I read that Windows 11 doesn't have this capability, which seems ridiculous since Windows 10...
  7. Windows 11 and ability to drag apps to desktop

Windows 11 and ability to drag apps to desktop: I'd like to be able to drag my Office Products Word, PP, Excel, etc. to the desktop. I can't seem to do this - it turns into a link on a browser when I do Bing. Is there a workaround? I read that Windows 11 doesn't have this capability, which seems ridiculous since Windows 10...
  8. File explorer location bar not updating

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File explorer location bar not updating: When I use the left side toolbar to switch folders, the path does not update in the location bar at the top of the window. Not only does it not update to the folder I switched to, but it completely stops updating as I navigate. It stays stuck on "This PC >> Documents". This...
  9. Lost Drag and drop ability in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Lost Drag and drop ability in File Explorer: Hello, I am trying to get some help from a legit source for this problem. A few weeks ago I noticed that I can no longer Drag & Drop files within File Explorer. I have tried going into Task Manager and then clicking "End Process Tree" and then restarting File Explorer....
  10. Question regarding sudden loss of ability to drag anything.

in Windows 10 Support
    Question regarding sudden loss of ability to drag anything.: I have Windows 10 on my HP desktop. I was rearranging two internet tabs on Microsoft Edge to more easily switch between the two. Immediately following this action, I lost the ability to move tabs or drag anything on my computer. If I click and drag any internet tabs,...