Windows 10: Why when I open settings does it not allow me to choose a setting?

Discus and support Why when I open settings does it not allow me to choose a setting? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; When I try and go into the settings menu to try and change things eg: like the colour of my taskbar, I am unable to select a setting and when i hover... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by UserQqp, Feb 27, 2021.

1. UserQqp Win User

Why when I open settings does it not allow me to choose a setting?

When I try and go into the settings menu to try and change things eg: like the colour of my taskbar, I am unable to select a setting and when i hover my cursor over the options it doesn't do anything. I have tried certain commands using the Command Prompt but none of these have solved the issue

:)

UserQqp, Feb 27, 2021
  2. angus Win User

Settings can't be opened using the built-in administrator account

Hello,
    Unfortunately I have the same issue as Dabz from upgrading win7 to win10.
    I've tried opening settings using all the suggested methods and it will not load using my account with Administrator access nor the built-in Administrator profile. I also tried other methods not listed such as using Run. Control panel is just a stepping stone to add users in Settings.
    I'm also having explorer.exe issues, which I believe is preventing Settings from loading.
    Using cmd (Admin) I successfully created a new user profile [and granted admin access also using cmd (Admin)], however win10 will not allow this account to log on. win10 does not list this new user within control panel but it does in the start menu. win10 will not allow to log in or switch to the new account via the start menu either.
    I can access settings in Safe Mode but this will not allow me to create a new account.
    Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

angus, Feb 27, 2021
  3. Settings can't be opened using the built-in administrator account

Hi guys

I have same issue in safe boot mode with networking!

First of all it blocks the networking

Then states:

Settings cant be opened using the built in administrator account sign in with different account and try again.

Yet clicking on windows i opens settings fine

It also states broadband blocked, yet I can happily get on the net but at first I couldn't.

When I asked about it the guy from Microsoft tech answers couldn't understand why I wanted to use safe boot mode with networking????????

After he did nothing to help but emailed some scripts which didn't refer to safe mode. I rebooted and suddenly safe mode with networking worked with the net but windows 10 still claims broadband is blocked!

Im also still getting the message on trying to unblock broadband:

cant be opened using the built in administrator account sign in with different account and try again.

What is going on there?

Lokiroarsamba, Feb 27, 2021
  4. Why when I open settings does it not allow me to choose a setting?

settings wont open

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Please answer the below question to understand the situation better,

• Are you facing this issue on a local account or the Microsoft Account?
    Please follow the below steps and check if it works,

• Press “Windows key + I” to open the Settings screen.
    I suggest you to sign out from the current user account, restart the computer and then sign in to the Administrator account to check if this helps

Reply us if you have further queries. We will be glad to assist you.

Anup Karkal, Feb 27, 2021
Thema:

Why when I open settings does it not allow me to choose a setting?

1. Why when I open settings does it not allow me to choose a setting? - Similar Threads - Why open settings

2. Why does the Settings app crash when I open Power & Battery settings in Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does the Settings app crash when I open Power & Battery settings in Windows 11?: Every time I click on Power & Battery settings the settings app crashes. This happened ever since I updated to this version: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-the-settings-app-crash-when-i-open-power/13dcd4f1-b60f-469c-87bd-2302ffb2ee00
  3. Why does the Settings app crash when I open Power & Battery settings in Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does the Settings app crash when I open Power & Battery settings in Windows 11?: Every time I click on Power & Battery settings the settings app crashes. This happened ever since I updated to this version: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-the-settings-app-crash-when-i-open-power/13dcd4f1-b60f-469c-87bd-2302ffb2ee00
  4. Why wont my settings allow me to choose my icon settings?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why wont my settings allow me to choose my icon settings?: I was watching something but then I noticed my basic icons missing from my taskbar. I have tried other options like the ones I have seen here but I won't work. I do not remember using any inputs that may have resulted in this. Whenever I try to click on it, it just wont allow...
  5. Why wont my settings allow me to choose my icon settings?

Why wont my settings allow me to choose my icon settings?: I was watching something but then I noticed my basic icons missing from my taskbar. I have tried other options like the ones I have seen here but I won't work. I do not remember using any inputs that may have resulted in this. Whenever I try to click on it, it just wont allow...
  6. Why wont my settings allow me to choose my icon settings?

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Windows 11 Beta not allowing me to open settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Beta not allowing me to open settings: My PC is a Dell Optiplex 3050 with an Intel Core i5 7400 and Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Mini... I am running windows 11 build 22543.rs prerelease version for the past 1 or 2 months... 2 days ago I performed "delete and rebuild index", since some of the apps arent loading in...
  8. Windows 11 Beta not allowing me to open settings

Windows 11 Beta not allowing me to open settings: My PC is a Dell Optiplex 3050 with an Intel Core i5 7400 and Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Mini... I am running windows 11 build 22543.rs prerelease version for the past 1 or 2 months... 2 days ago I performed "delete and rebuild index", since some of the apps arent loading in...
  9. Why does my pc crashes when I open my settings.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Why does my pc crashes when I open my settings.: Hi, I have an issue on my laptop recently,when I opened my settings on windows 10 ,the screen goes blue and says "your pc ran into a problem and its trying to fix it" and the stop code says that there's a APC index mismatch Also when I check for updates,by pressing start...
  10. Epson WF-7510, when printing, no program will allow me to choose a legal paper setting.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Epson WF-7510, when printing, no program will allow me to choose a legal paper setting.: When we try and print on any program with any file type, we are unable to choose a legal size paper. This printer is capable of printing legal and has legal paper in it. We also set the paper setting to legal on the printer itself. In the advance settings of this printer, the...