Windows 10: Why Windows 10 becoming extremely slow, except Firefox?

Discus and support Why Windows 10 becoming extremely slow, except Firefox? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, I'm getting this issue randomly and this is extremely annoying. The system becomes extremely slow, not responding to any keyboard input. Explorer,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by EricBuist, Nov 3, 2019.

1. EricBuist Win User

Why Windows 10 becoming extremely slow, except Firefox?

Hi,

I'm getting this issue randomly and this is extremely annoying. The system becomes extremely slow, not responding to any keyboard input. Explorer, command prompt and text editor all become unusable. This often starts in Explorer but can also happen in any other applications. The tray icons becomes blurry and unusable. Firefox works correctly all the times. This is the only working application now. I can close and restart it, and it wasn't always running when the problem started. The only "solution" is to reboot, but that machine is longer and longer to boot and it just doesn't help if, regularly, pretty much every time I power it on, I have to reboot. All I can find on Google are incorrect matches, like problems with blurry icons caused by DPI scaling, suggestions to try random PC repair tools that will just introduce malware on my system (if there isn't already any) or over-detailed steps explaining how to boot in safe mode, close every running applications, try to reboot, etc.

I already tried closing everything I can. Task Manager shows 2% CPU usage and something like 4Gb of memory used over 16Gb. So I'm not running out of CPU power or memory. Disk activity is around 1% as well. The main driver running on that system is the one from NVIDIA and I already updated it to latest version. The problem didn't start after an update of the NVIDIA driver.

Did we really reach the point where Windows is tightly bound to the computer and no upgrade is possible? That machine started with Windows 7 four years ago, a Core i7 with 16Gb of RAM that should still work well. Each new version of Windows introduced new problems, after the fact, because at start, the upgrade to Windows 8, then to 8.1, then to 10, went fine. If we reached that point, that means I would need to downgrade to Windows 7 not to have all these stupid problems anymore, but that version reaches end of life in January 2020. My PC is not end of life, it still works fine most of the times, and it runs Ubuntu without such major failures as Windows. I need Windows for running DAWS, because otherwise I could just switch to Linux and avoid this problem altogether.

Or did we reach a point Windows now requires a Core i9 to run smoothly? The only reason for that would be background jobs taxing the system's resources heavily, maybe to perform security checks or install updates. But that would be very silly. Windows Defender runs and didn't detect any threat, so either my PC is not infected by something, either Windows Defender is ineffective and thus a resource waste.

:)

EricBuist, Nov 3, 2019
  2. Jan Del Win User

Slow Mozilla Firefox on Windows 10

Hi,

For us to get a better understanding of the issue and provide a resolution suitable to your concern, kindly clarify the following information:

• When you mentioned that the Mozilla Firefox works slow on Windows 10, is it with the ability of the app to open or is it when you browse websites?
    • Are you experiencing the issue using other browsers?

Looking forward to your reply.

Jan Del, Nov 3, 2019
  3. New Windows Media Player Plugin for Firefox

Anyone who uses Windows Vista and Mozilla Firefox may be pleased to hear that the Windows Media Player team has now released a plugin for Firefox that should allow the browser to play WMP content on websites. Here are the steps to get it working:
    • Installation of the Windows Media Player Firefox Plugin may require administrative access to your PC. It is recommended that you close all other open browser windows before continuing with the installation.
    • Click the Install button to automatically download and install the Windows Media Player Firefox Plugin.
    • Depending on your security settings, you may see a Security Warning dialog box. Click Install to install the plugin.
    There is a known issue if you are using Firefox version 2.0.0.3 on Windows Vista with the installer failing with error code -203. To work around this simply restart Firefox (you will get a notification that Windows Vista will be changing the Firefox compatibility settings) and then install again - the second time should succeed.

The download is available here, and the new plugin works on all versions of Windows XP and Windows Vista (although it is mostly intended for Vista, as that currently has no WMP support in Firefox).

Source: Windows Vista Blog

Jimmy 2004, Nov 3, 2019
  4. Why Windows 10 becoming extremely slow, except Firefox?

Jumplist sometimes extremely slow

I bought a new laptop with Windows 10 recently.

Only after a few days, the jump lists started to get extremely slow.

But they behave that way just for a while, then they work as they should again.

When slow, it takes several minutes for the jump list to appear. It is extremely annoying. Especially e.g. when I have opened a remote desktop and want to open another one via the jumplist.

I had exactly the same problem with my old Windows 7 PC and assumed that I would get rid of that problem,
    changing both PC and OS, but no.

I do not want the standard answers to this problem:

- Disable Aero

- Clear the (Explorer) Cache for Jump lists

- etc.

It is definitely something else. I mean, how would the jump list cache get full after only a week? And why does the jump list get slow only sometimes and then suddenly works just fine again?

So please, give me an answer that takes this into consideration.

Anders Edvin, Nov 3, 2019
Thema:

Why Windows 10 becoming extremely slow, except Firefox?

1. Why Windows 10 becoming extremely slow, except Firefox? - Similar Threads - Why becoming extremely

2. Laptop has become extremely slow all of a sudden

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop has become extremely slow all of a sudden: I have an Asus Zenbook laptop that I mostly use for gaming. Normally, it runs fine, but lately it has been becoming EXTREMELY slow. And I mean only a few bytes per second download speed type slow. I can't use any games that require internet because they lag and take extremely...
  3. Laptop has become extremely slow all of a sudden

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop has become extremely slow all of a sudden: I have an Asus Zenbook laptop that I mostly use for gaming. Normally, it runs fine, but lately it has been becoming EXTREMELY slow. And I mean only a few bytes per second download speed type slow. I can't use any games that require internet because they lag and take extremely...
  4. Winzip has become extremely slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Winzip has become extremely slow: After windows update last month winzip has become extremely slow. It takes an hour to unzip a 13 Mb file. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/winzip-has-become-extremely-slow/972f6e55-6d26-4189-90e6-dc45cd760ae5
  5. Winzip has become extremely slow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Winzip has become extremely slow: After windows update last month winzip has become extremely slow. It takes an hour to unzip a 13 Mb file. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/winzip-has-become-extremely-slow/972f6e55-6d26-4189-90e6-dc45cd760ae5
  6. Winzip has become extremely slow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Windows 10 is extremely slow

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 is extremely slow: I have no idea why this is. I was running Windows 10 perfectly on my Dell Latitude E7440 but now everything just runs so slowly. I tried resetting my laptop twice but the same errors still persist?? I also attempted to modify the minimum and maximum amounts of ram Windows...
  8. Windows has become extremely slow

Windows has become extremely slow: I updated windows recently and it has become extremely slow. It takes over 5 minutes to boot. Here are the things I did and still no luck: Ran disk check, repair and fix etc Reset windows while keeping giles Reset windows while deleting my files Creating install media and...
  9. computer suddenly become extremely slow?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    computer suddenly become extremely slow?: This morning I booted my laptop, wanted to watch a live stream. Everything was running like normal. All of a sudden the stream loaded as if I had no internet. Then I opened the task manager, PC was running a bit slower than usual. Taskmanager says: Disk usage 100%. So I...
  10. Fresh install of Windows 10 becomes extremely slow

Fresh install of Windows 10 becomes extremely slow: I have noted that any time i install windows 10 on any PC, The PC becomes extremely slow when connected to the internet. Refreshing the desktop takes around 45 seconds. Opening a program like excel takes around 15 seconds. Typing on the Cortana search bar is also extremely...