Windows 10: Why Windows 10 can't show folder sizes?

Discus and support Why Windows 10 can't show folder sizes? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Why Windows 10 can't show size of folders unless you right click on each folder? Is there any way to make Windows 10 to show size of folders? For... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Ditendra, Dec 15, 2020.

1. Ditendra Win User

Why Windows 10 can't show folder sizes?

Why Windows 10 can't show size of folders unless you right click on each folder? Is there any way to make Windows 10 to show size of folders?
    For example, here, it would be much easier for me to see the size of folders, rather then manually selecting each folder and right clicking on them to see their size which sounds tiring.

Why Windows 10 can't show folder sizes? Screenshot-1.png

:)

Ditendra, Dec 15, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Dec 15, 2020
  3. Amit_Sun Win User
    Change in folder size after enabling Bitlocker

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand you concern related to the size of the folder displayed. Try these steps to narrow down the issue:

1. Disable bitlocker
      and then check the folder size.
    2. We would also suggest you to open the folder and select all files and see the size of the contents.

Let us know if the size of the contents matches the folder size. If you see a difference, then the folder might be showing incorrect size.

Kindly reply us with the requested information to assist you better.

Awaiting for your response.

Amit Sunar

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Amit_Sun, Dec 15, 2020
  4. Drone Win User

Directory Size Utility

First of all nice utility, Mindweaver!
    Second of all, it's so nice to see that this section ain't dead.

I have a few questions/suggestions, maybe you'd want to see ...
    • maybe you rename Get Folder button caption to something more intuitive? Add Folder, Get Folder Size, Check Folder Size or something like that?
    • Could you add subfolder files to the right pane? (it can be a tickbox with include sub dirs)
    • maybe you also add export list to excel?
    • there's delete file button maybe you add delete folder button too?
    • and finally maybe you can add UP button for directories?

Drone, Dec 15, 2020
Thema:

1. Why Windows 10 can't show folder sizes? - Similar Threads - Why can't show

2. Automatically show folder size in Windows explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Automatically show folder size in Windows explorer: After tens of thousands of people asking for decades. "Why can't I automatically see the size of folders in the Windows explorer?" Nothing has been done. Why can't this feature be made available? It would be such a handy feature to be able to see the size of subfolders. It is...
  3. Show file & folder sizes on HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Show file & folder sizes on HDD: I have used the app simply called SCANNER by Steffen Gerlach ver2.10 free of cost. If it is given the enormous time it needs to scan a HDD it very nicely displays the distribution of Files / Folders all round the disk. As below: If too many apps are running, eg., FireFox x3,...
  4. Folder size in Windows 10

Folder size in Windows 10: Hello, How can I show size of folders? Why are they empty? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/folder-size-in-windows-10/34b7db42-3b83-4d00-8933-d571edaf06bb"
  5. Windows 10 File Explorer not showing correct folder size

Windows 10 File Explorer not showing correct folder size: Regarding this issue, valid more than a year from v1803 on, has now been proven to be corrected on v1903, Great! Thanks! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-file-explorer-not-showing-correct/2f8b976b-4330-4fa7-b805-8b9d497fd7b6"
  6. Windows File Explorer Not Showing Folder Size

Windows File Explorer Not Showing Folder Size: Need Help, Windows File Explorer Not Showing Folder Size. Its very difficult to identify big size folder. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-file-explorer-not-showing-folder-size/7b31df8a-3fe7-41d2-97c9-d5cfb6c93cf1"
  7. Windows 10 showing wrong size of folder in properties option

Windows 10 showing wrong size of folder in properties option: hi, i am having problem with the properties option. i am using windows 10 and just encountered a problem. i was checking the size of one of my folder (in terms of checking how much space it occupies on hard drive). i got some figure around 60.04 GB. just to cross verify i...
  8. Size of windows 10 folder.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Size of windows 10 folder.: My windows 10 folder seems to have been getting out of control in the last year. It went from around 50 GB at the beginning of the year to 75/69 GB at time of posting. Windows keep trying to update and wants more space to do so, then it tries to download smaller updates,...
  9. Temp folder is win 10 is not showing the accurate size

in Windows 10 Customization
    Temp folder is win 10 is not showing the accurate size: Dear expert, I am wondering why the size of the temp folder is not showing the accurate size as you see below. [ATTACH] [ATTACH]...
  10. Windows 10 Folder Size

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Folder Size: Hi, When any of you right click on the Windows folder, what size is yours as I get 91.8GB... Can't believe how big this OS is and that's only the Windows Folder... UPDATE - It looks like the folder Windows/Logs is the problem it's over 70GB... The problem is the Service...