Windows 10: Why Windows 10 locks processor's base frequency to 2.39Ghz when i have 3Ghz cpu?

Discus and support Why Windows 10 locks processor's base frequency to 2.39Ghz when i have 3Ghz cpu? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have old desktop with intel core2 duo E6850 with 3Ghz base frequency but after installing Windows 10 had windows 7 the processor never goes upto that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Onkar_Gh, Oct 22, 2020.

1. Onkar_Gh Win User

Why Windows 10 locks processor's base frequency to 2.39Ghz when i have 3Ghz cpu?

I have old desktop with intel core2 duo E6850 with 3Ghz base frequency but after installing Windows 10 had windows 7 the processor never goes upto that mark, even when I am running heavy apps like Andoid Studio the max frequency is about 2.4Ghz. The task manager shows the same as base frequency while the processor's actual base frequency is 3Ghz. Here is the screenshot of Task manager:

Why Windows 10 locks processor's base frequency to 2.39Ghz when i have 3Ghz cpu? ext?url=https%3a%2f%2fi.stack.imgur.com%2fEy4Fl.png

I checked the frequency using HWiNFO while running stress test in case task manager showing wrong info and here is the snap:

Why Windows 10 locks processor's base frequency to 2.39Ghz when i have 3Ghz cpu? ext?url=https%3a%2f%2fi.stack.imgur.com%2fNajLi.png

I googled about it and have already tried following:

1. setting power option to high performance
    2. changing max and min performance values of power plan
    3. modifying start value of intelppm in registry to 4
    4. running cmd command "ren intelppm.sys intelppm.sys.bak"
    5. using throttlestop and unchecking "BD PROCHOT"

What works is that when I boot from linux live usb Zorin OS I was able to perform tasks and use upto that 3ghz frequency speed. I don't understand why Windows 10 cannot do that? Should I downgrade and install windows 7 again?

PS: The copy is not activated since I have installed windows 10 directly using iso from "media creation tool".

:)

Onkar_Gh, Oct 22, 2020
  2. spetrov Win User

CPU frequency locks at 0.78 GHz

Hello,

My CPU get locks at 0.78 GHz and not going up or down. In the same time when CPU is locked at 0.78 GHz,

laptops fans runs fast (noisy) but the coming air is not even hot.

I have found a tool named Intel(R) Extreme tuning utility to use it as monitor of "what's going on with my system",

i'm not overclocking or changing something in CPU.

Tuning utility shows value of "Thermal Throttling" as 100% i think this is the reason why CPU stays at 0.78 GHz, it get down step because of this thermal throttling.

CPU package and core temperature is normal around 40c .

All this information is visible into this picture:

Why Windows 10 locks processor's base frequency to 2.39Ghz when i have 3Ghz cpu? 0e05a760-5e71-41dd-a028-42165b6d17f2.png

With random combination of reboots, shutdown unplug power and plug power CPU gets frequency stepping again

Thermal Throttling is becoming zero and fans stop... and everything goes normal.

Can someone explain what is connection between Windows (10) OS and CPU freq. stepping.

I think there is some connection because of available options in power plan settings, there is options Processor power management

that can control CPU min and max freq. state, but i'm not pretty sure is it related to "Thermal Throttling".

spetrov, Oct 22, 2020
  3. Mattxx Win User
    processor frequency

I have two laptops running windows 10.

One selectable processor frequency under the power management options

The other does not, the selection is not listed.

The computer with the selection, was set to ZERO.

How do I determine the frequency to set it to?

Thanks

Mattxx, Oct 22, 2020
  4. Why Windows 10 locks processor's base frequency to 2.39Ghz when i have 3Ghz cpu?

Windows limits my CPU frequency

Hello,

After an update my processor cannot run higher than 1,5Ghz. I've tried resetting CPU and cache voltages and multipliers, that worked for 10 seconds and then the CPU returned to 62% load at 1.49Ghz again. The base frequency displayed at the task manager is
    2.4. How can I disable this limitations in order to reach normal CPU speed?

Matthew234, Oct 22, 2020
Thema:

Why Windows 10 locks processor's base frequency to 2.39Ghz when i have 3Ghz cpu?

1. Why Windows 10 locks processor's base frequency to 2.39Ghz when i have 3Ghz cpu? - Similar Threads - Why locks processor's

2. Why is Windows 11 not using my CPU's full frequency?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is Windows 11 not using my CPU's full frequency?: The CPU that I use is an Intel Core i5-10400. With a base frequency of ~2.90GHz and a max turbo frequency of ~4.30GHz. My system is set up to ultimate performance. However, as I check task manager, the CPU frequency seems to have reached the limit of ~3.98GHz. Whilst in...
  3. Windows 10 22H2 incorrect CPU frequency

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 22H2 incorrect CPU frequency: Description: CPU max speed is restricted to 30% 0.79GHz Lenovo Legion Y520, Intel Core i5 7300HQWin 10 reset to factory. -Issue not resolved. Clean Win10 install Issue resolved until one ore more win updates are downloaded.Lenovo Vantage hardware scan preformed, - no issues...
  4. Windows 10 22H2 incorrect CPU frequency

Windows 10 22H2 incorrect CPU frequency: Description: CPU max speed is restricted to 30% 0.79GHz Lenovo Legion Y520, Intel Core i5 7300HQWin 10 reset to factory. -Issue not resolved. Clean Win10 install Issue resolved until one ore more win updates are downloaded.Lenovo Vantage hardware scan preformed, - no issues...
  5. Windows 10 22H2 incorrect CPU frequency

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. amd processor frequency problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    amd processor frequency problem: hi i have windows 11 and amd processor 9 5000 5900x frequency set to max and the temp always 4.4 and usage 2% and i don't know what shall i do and i tried alot to contact microsoft chat or support team and i couldn't reach them hope you assist me ASAP to avoid this issue....
  7. amd processor frequency problem

amd processor frequency problem: hi i have windows 11 and amd processor 9 5000 5900x frequency set to max and the temp always 4.4 and usage 2% and i don't know what shall i do and i tried alot to contact microsoft chat or support team and i couldn't reach them hope you assist me ASAP to avoid this issue....
  8. Windows 10 CPU frequency is locking at 0.78 Ghz

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 CPU frequency is locking at 0.78 Ghz: Hello, I am facing with the CPU frequency where it locks at 0.78 GHz when I run any software or game on my laptop, I followedthis thread but it didn't help me. I also read about a similar issue here, but couldn't follow it up as I am not part of the Windows Insider...
  9. Processor frequencies do not match in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Processor frequencies do not match in Windows 10: [ATTACH]In today’s post, we will explore the cause and possible resolution to the issue of CPU frequencies shown in Windows 10 System property page do […] This post Processor frequencies do not match in Windows 10 is from TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  10. Change Maximum Processor Frequency in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Maximum Processor Frequency in Windows 10: How to: Change Maximum Processor Frequency in Windows 10 [img] Information Processor frequency specifies the operating frequency of the CPU's core(s) in MHz. The higher the frequency is for a CPU, the faster the processor is. You can specify the approximate maximum...