Windows 10: Why Windows 11 Pro has all of sudden changed my default app for opening JPG and PNG files?...

Discus and support Why Windows 11 Pro has all of sudden changed my default app for opening JPG and PNG files?... in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Why Windows 11 Pro has all of sudden changed my default app for opening JPG and PNG files. It does not let me associate these file types with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Ronmm, Mar 19, 2023.

1. Ronmm Win User

Why Windows 11 Pro has all of sudden changed my default app for opening JPG and PNG files?...

Why Windows 11 Pro has all of sudden changed my default app for opening JPG and PNG files. It does not let me associate these file types with IrfanView. As of yesterday, there were no issues, but today!!! It just does not show jpg in list of files to change their associated app. I tried going reverse, and change the Photo app itself but the app name can’t be found. This photo app is the very old one, probably from Windows 7 that is opening files and its name is not shown, in any type of searching! This is the app that as soon as opened, it assumes you want to print pictures. I am logged in as

:)

Ronmm, Mar 19, 2023
  2. Bree Win User

How to change default app for file type

'Open With > Choose another app' has three step, in the first it only offers apps registered for that file type. If you click 'More apps' it lists all registered apps regardless of suitability. Both these steps have the tick-box for 'Always use...' in my 18363.752. The third step, if needed, is 'Look for another app on this PC'. The 'Always use...' must be ticked before taking this step if you want the change to stick. However, WMP appears at the second step.

Why Windows 11 Pro has all of sudden changed my default app for opening JPG and PNG files?... 274247d1586781472t-how-change-default-app-file-type-image.png

For a quick look at a JPG almost anything (including WMP) is more practical than Photos which on my system takes more than ten seconds just to open a photo. The OP is probably not aware that the Windows Photo Viewer is still available in W10, but hidden away. That's my default viewer for JPG.

Restore Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10

And, once enabled, is available in Settings > Apps > Default apps.

Why Windows 11 Pro has all of sudden changed my default app for opening JPG and PNG files?... 274248d1586782515t-how-change-default-app-file-type-screenshot-4-.png

3. Can't change default program to open files.

Hi,

I'm trying to change the default program for .dwg files from Autocad to Draftsight.

I already tried:

• right click > open with > choose another app > always use this app. The file opens in Draftsight without problems, but it still opens with Autocad the next time you double click a dwg file.
    • settings > apps > default apps > choose default apps by file type. This also does not change the default method to Draftsight.

When I type assoc .dwg in command prompt, it shows ".dwg=DraftSight.Drawing"

I see some suggestions to try using the old interface through control panel, but it seems like control panel routes to the new interface.

I also tried changing the association for .txt files from notepad to notepad++ and it doesn't work either.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

petersteele, Mar 19, 2023
  4. binks Win User

Why Windows 11 Pro has all of sudden changed my default app for opening JPG and PNG files?...

How to change default app to open certain file types.

It's not as simple as it seems Why Windows 11 Pro has all of sudden changed my default app for opening JPG and PNG files?... :)
    Although it's easy as pie to change default apps by type file, but how to do it if I want to use app that's not on the default Window list?
    Like in this example,

Why Windows 11 Pro has all of sudden changed my default app for opening JPG and PNG files?... 322198d1615460974t-how-change-default-app-open-certain-file-types-screenshot_99.png

File is opened by IE but I have installed in my system programme called Notepad++ and I want it to open .xml files whenever i double click on them. But Notepad++ is not on the Windows list

Why Windows 11 Pro has all of sudden changed my default app for opening JPG and PNG files?... 322200d1615461153t-how-change-default-app-open-certain-file-types-screenshot_100.png

So how to set this up to open .xml files with Notepad++?

binks, Mar 19, 2023
Thema:

1. Why Windows 11 Pro has all of sudden changed my default app for opening JPG and PNG files?... - Similar Threads - Why Pro has

2. Why Windows 11 Pro has all of sudden changed my default app for opening JPG and PNG files?...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why Windows 11 Pro has all of sudden changed my default app for opening JPG and PNG files?...: Why Windows 11 Pro has all of sudden changed my default app for opening JPG and PNG files. It does not let me associate these file types with IrfanView. As of yesterday, there were no issues, but today!!! It just does not show jpg in list of files to change their associated...
  3. I can't open my png or jpg files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I can't open my png or jpg files: I can't open my picture files as usual,I don't know why.It says install failed please contact your software vendor.Please help me, appreciate your help,thank you....
  4. I can't open my png or jpg files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't open my png or jpg files: I can't open my picture files as usual,I don't know why.It says install failed please contact your software vendor.Please help me, appreciate your help,thank you....
  5. I can't open my png or jpg files

6. Windows 11 and "jpeg, jpg, and png" files.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 and "jpeg, jpg, and png" files.: I have hundreds of files from my Windows 10 Pro desktop PC. Family photos and many others as well.I attempted to access these on my Windows 11 laptop PC. The operating system doesn't seem to recognize the files. I don't know what to do about this problem.I'd like to know what...
  7. Windows 11 and "jpeg, jpg, and png" files.

Windows 11 and "jpeg, jpg, and png" files.: I have hundreds of files from my Windows 10 Pro desktop PC. Family photos and many others as well.I attempted to access these on my Windows 11 laptop PC. The operating system doesn't seem to recognize the files. I don't know what to do about this problem.I'd like to know what...
  8. PNG and JPG files not working in Windows 11

PNG and JPG files not working in Windows 11: When I attempt to open PNG files with the default "Photos" app in Windows 11, I get an error "The specified procedure could not be fond". I never had this issue with before I upgraded Windows 10 last week. I uninstalled and installed the Photos program when I first...
  9. File Association Broken for all JPG & PNG

File Association Broken for all JPG & PNG: I do know how to use open with and create proper file associations. And I am not having issues opening files in PHOTO or other graphic programs. The problem is Windows 10 has decided that all my photos are now SONY RAW files. I cannot upload them to Google photo. It...
  10. Opening *.jpg and *.png files

Opening *.jpg and *.png files: When attempting to open these files I now get a File system error (-2147219196) I believe I may have downloaded both Windows 10 and Lenovo upgrades that could have resulted in this error. How to fix?...