Windows 10: Why Windows 11 still do not support HEVC natively ?

Discus and support Why Windows 11 still do not support HEVC natively ? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Why Windows 11 still do not support HEVC natively? Is this licensinglegal related issue or something else?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by PijushGupta, Dec 8, 2021.

1. Why Windows 11 still do not support HEVC natively ?

Why Windows 11 still do not support HEVC natively? Is this licensinglegal related issue or something else?

:)

PijushGupta, Dec 8, 2021
  2. Monk.e83 Win User

Unlocked Realtek HD Audio Drivers Windows 7 & 8 (With Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive)

DTS supported natively by Windows 8/8.1 and it should work on windows 10 too just DDL require to unlock your driver .

Monk.e83, Dec 8, 2021
  3. Ronit B Win User
    Opening HEIF files and HEVC Videos on Windows 10

Very impressed with Apple being the first to adopt HEIF and HEVC on iOS 11. Only problem is, no other platform seems to support it as of now.

Even though HEVC is supported on Windows 10 out of the box, the videos don't actually plan in any app on Windows 10.

HEIF is not supported at all.

Does anyone know of any apps or programs that would let me play HEIF and iOS 11 HEVC videos on Windows? Or maybe a codec pack?

Note: I do not want to convert these images and videos while exporting to Windows; want to keep them in their native formats.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category***

Ronit B, Dec 8, 2021
  4. akgt94 Win User

Why Windows 11 still do not support HEVC natively ?

Directories with HEVC/x265 or Hi10p/10bit video sluggish

This was working for me in the Anniversary Update and Creators Update, but has been slowly going downhill after the Fall Creators Update (build 1709). After updating to the Fall Creators Update, I could sometimes get thumbnails to show up in Explorer, sometimes
    not. I could sometimes get HEVC video to play in Movies & TV and Movie Moments, sometimes not. Now File Explorer won't create any HEVC thumbnails and HEVC video won't play in any of the Microsoft desktop or metro apps.

Here's what I've been able to piece together from a couple of different sources:

• Microsoft removed native HEVC support from the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update.
    • If you applied a feature update from a previous version (Creators, etc.), you were supposed to retain HEVC support. Wasn't quite true for me, which is how I found this thread. The work-around I mentioned in a previous reply has now stopped working.
    • Update KB4041994 enables SOME systems to ADD HEVC support back. There's a hidden app in the Microsoft Store called "HEVC Video Extension". Windows may add it manually. The app only enables HARDWARE HEVC decoding.
      You need a video card or processor released within the last ~year to get it though (Kaby Lake, Kaby Lake Refresh and Coffee Lake, and GPUs like AMD's RX 400, RX 500 and RX Vega 56/64, and Nividia's GeForce GTX 1000 and GTX 950 and 960 series.)
    • One of the sources suggests software HEVC decoding might become available as a paid app in the Windows Store in the future. No further info available.
    I did a clean install of the Fall Creators Update in Virtualbox. Applied all the updates and installed the "HEVC Video Extension" from the store. MP4 opens in Movies & TV metro app; HEVC video is blank, but HE-AAC audio plays. The slow folder refresh issue
    with HEVC files exists.

I have a mid-range desktop processor and video card from early 2013. VLC plays 1080p HEVC using just a couple of percent CPU. I can encode 480p 30FPS in real time using the x.265 Medium preset. My system doesn't need hardware-accelerated encoding / decoding.

As for the original issue. I took someone's suggestion and installed Icaros. Explorer refresh is speedy and I get thumbnails not only for HEVC MP4/MKV, but also FLV (like Icaros claims - anything FFMPEG can decode).

Additional info:

akgt94, Dec 8, 2021
Thema:

Why Windows 11 still do not support HEVC natively ?

1. Why Windows 11 still do not support HEVC natively ? - Similar Threads - Why still support

2. Is HEVC still supported on Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is HEVC still supported on Windows 11?: I have some HEVC h.265 videos from a Canon R5 that I want to view/edit on Windows 11 through Davinci Resolve, but cannot open. These files can be viewed on VLC Player but are not recognized by the default Windows Media Player. I've already tried installing HEVC Video...
  3. Is HEVC still supported on Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is HEVC still supported on Windows 11?: I have some HEVC h.265 videos from a Canon R5 that I want to view/edit on Windows 11 through Davinci Resolve, but cannot open. These files can be viewed on VLC Player but are not recognized by the default Windows Media Player. I've already tried installing HEVC Video...
  4. Why Does Windows 11 Still Not Support My CPU Chips?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why Does Windows 11 Still Not Support My CPU Chips?: I have an HP Z840 desktop workstation with 128 GB of installed RAM and two CPU chips, each of which is an IntelR XeonR CPU E5-2690 v4 @ 2.60GHz. I am running Windows 10 Pro. Ever since Windows 11 was first made available I have been told that this computer, which runs Windows...
  5. Why Windows 11 still do not support HEVC natively ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why Windows 11 still do not support HEVC natively ?: Why Windows 11 still do not support HEVC natively? Is this licensinglegal related issue or something else? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-windows-11-still-do-not-support-hevc-natively/5507846f-57ed-47cc-a114-417f7e842ef4
  6. Native Android app support for Windows 10 is still on track for 2021 launch

in Windows 10 News
    Native Android app support for Windows 10 is still on track for 2021 launch: After abandoning Project Astoria, Microsoft has been looking into ways of bringing Android apps to Windows 10 and it has already enabled streaming support via the Your Phone app for select Samsung phones. Microsoft’s latest idea is “Project Latte”, which aims to help...
  7. HEVC Video Extensions support

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HEVC Video Extensions support: I loaded the HEVC Video Extensions support after purchasing from Microsoft Shop. Now the only audio that plays on my HP laptop internal speaker is the audio in the Film & TV video player. Do I need to re-install the file? Is there something else I can check. I have gone...
  8. Microsoft HEIF/HEVC Support

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft HEIF/HEVC Support: I recently purchased a new camera that is capable of recording in HEIF. Unfortunately, my computer, both in the photos app and Adobe apps, are unable to process these images. After some research I found out that Microsoft requires you to download a couple of extensions in...
  9. Edge/Chromium Hevc support

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Edge/Chromium Hevc support: I have recently installed microsofts newest Browser... but when i watch netflix trough chromium or trough the netflix store app.. the image ( the blackest parts are pix-elated ). i also installed the HEVC support for devices from the store... Does someone also experiance...
  10. Why Does Windows 10 Not Natively Support OpenVPN?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Why Does Windows 10 Not Natively Support OpenVPN?: In Settings > Network & Internet > VPN, we can hit the plus sign to add a VPN connection. Yet, under the VPN Type drop down, OpenVPN is not an option. Does anyone have any idea why Microsoft doesn't natively support OpenVPN? Of course, it's not just Microsoft. Google does...