Windows 10: Why Windows search opens local files in OneDrive folder only in browser?

Discus and support Why Windows search opens local files in OneDrive folder only in browser? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; The issue the user is facing is that when opening pdf files from windows search they always open in the browser and not in Adobe Acrobat.If the pdfs... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Marian Corbeanu, Feb 21, 2024.

1. Why Windows search opens local files in OneDrive folder only in browser?

The issue the user is facing is that when opening pdf files from windows search they always open in the browser and not in Adobe Acrobat.If the pdfs are opened from windows explorer they open in the application.If the pdfs are copied to a local folder that is not synchronizing with OneDrive ,as an example C:\Temp and they are opened afterwards through Windows search they open in the Adobe application.In this case Windows Search sees both files and if we open the one located in Onedrive it will open it in browser.After the pdf name is typed in Windows Search if it is right clicked the option of

:)

Marian Corbeanu, Feb 21, 2024

2. Search opens local files in OneDrive folder only in browser

Hi Elias,

To resolve your concern regarding opening local files on OneDrive, follow the steps below:

• Go to
      OneDrive.com.
    • Right click on the file that you want to view.
    • Click on Download.
    • The file will be downloaded, and would normally show up on the bottom part of your browser.
    • Click the file, and it would open up using its normal default application.

Let us know how it goes.

Ruizell Rey, Feb 21, 2024
  3. Search opens locally avialble txt files that are synced to OneDrive in browser

Steps to reproduce:

1. Search for a filename using the search bar in the start menu.

2. File will appear with the location set to "OneDrive:\....etc". No other option appear for the local file

3. Opening the file will result in opening a new Edge window with the file, instead of notepad

- Note that not all files do this. But the files that do, always do.

- Not that the files were created locally on a folder that is synced to OneDrive. The local folder is indexed in Windows search (some other files of the same folder opens locally)

Patrick_573, Feb 21, 2024
  4. Why Windows search opens local files in OneDrive folder only in browser?

Search opens local files in OneDrive folder only in browser

Hello everyone!

I have a lot of documents stored on OnDrive that I conveniently use on different computers.

My problem arises when I search for documents stored in OneDrive that are also locally available in Windows 10:

Windows only opens the documents only
    in the browser (i.e. word online), even when I try to use the "open folder" it opens the OneDrive folder in the browser. This is especially problematic with password protected documents, which cannot be opened online. The only solution so far is to open windows
    explorer and search there, making the whole process longer and more inconvenient.

This behaviour renders Windows 10 search, however great it might be, utterly useless to myself. I want to edit and use my documents on my local machine in an instant, not being forced to do everything in the browser. If I wanted to do that, I would go for
    Chrome OS anyways.

Is there a way to search, open & edit local documents stored in the OneDriver folder in the normal Windows 10 search using local apps by their normal default, not the browser?

Elias Eckert, Feb 21, 2024
Thema:

Why Windows search opens local files in OneDrive folder only in browser?

1. Why Windows search opens local files in OneDrive folder only in browser? - Similar Threads - Why search opens

2. Why Windows search opens local files in OneDrive folder only in browser?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why Windows search opens local files in OneDrive folder only in browser?: The issue the user is facing is that when opening pdf files from windows search they always open in the browser and not in Adobe Acrobat.If the pdfs are opened from windows explorer they open in the application.If the pdfs are copied to a local folder that is not...
  3. Search opens locally avialble txt files that are synced to OneDrive in browser

in Cortana
    Search opens locally avialble txt files that are synced to OneDrive in browser: Steps to reproduce:1. Search for a filename using the search bar in the start menu.2. File will appear with the location set to "OneDrive:\....etc". No other option appear for the local file3. Opening the file will result in opening a new Edge window with the file, instead of...
  4. Search opens locally avialble txt files that are synced to OneDrive in browser

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search opens locally avialble txt files that are synced to OneDrive in browser: Steps to reproduce:1. Search for a filename using the search bar in the start menu.2. File will appear with the location set to "OneDrive:\....etc". No other option appear for the local file3. Opening the file will result in opening a new Edge window with the file, instead of...
  5. Search opens locally avialble txt files that are synced to OneDrive in browser

6. Files, folder, local disk, browser problem. They won't open.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files, folder, local disk, browser problem. They won't open.: I have windows 10 pro. Now whenever I try to open my this PC icon from the desktop it won't open but it open by clicking that folder from the taskbar. Now whene the folder is opened the same happend with all the folders inside my This PC. As I click them many times but it...
  7. Files, folder, local disk, browser problem. They won't open.

Files, folder, local disk, browser problem. They won't open.: I have windows 10 pro. Now whenever I try to open my this PC icon from the desktop it won't open but it open by clicking that folder from the taskbar. Now whene the folder is opened the same happend with all the folders inside my This PC. As I click them many times but it...
  8. Files, folder, local disk, browser problem. They won't open.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  9. Saving files locally only and not on OneDrive

Saving files locally only and not on OneDrive: I don't want to access my files on any other device. For now, I want all my files stored locally on my PC. I've disabled backup to OneDrive and now all I have in my local Documents folder is a shortcut called "Where are my files" which links to OneDrive.All I want to do is...
  10. Windows search opens oneDrive files in the browser instead locally

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows search opens oneDrive files in the browser instead locally: Files on demand is turned on so I don't why this is still an issue. If I browse the oneDrive folder in Explorer then the files open locally. Windows search shows the following field: Location OneDrive:\<NAME\_OF\_FOLDER> submitted by /u/YasZedOP [link] [comments]...