Windows 10: Why won't Cortana search my computer for files I am searching for?

Discus and support Why won't Cortana search my computer for files I am searching for? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I search for files on my machine Cortana always goes to the web and never my machine. It has a header that says to turn indexing back on in blue... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Pinefang, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Pinefang Win User

Why won't Cortana search my computer for files I am searching for?

When I search for files on my machine Cortana always goes to the web and never my machine. It has a header that says to turn indexing back on in blue but it does nothing. How can I get Cortana to search my machine for files I am looking for and not the web?

:)

Pinefang, Sep 6, 2016

2. Cortana being to informative?

So, where's the answer??? I am having this exact problem. Come on, Cortana!

Look in my search history and you will find odd searches from her mishearing me, along with twenty searches of questions directed at Cortana basically asking why she won't work. It's frustrating.

Edit: Sorry, I kind of bumped this post, but it came up when I was making a post on this.

JoeyLopezC, Sep 6, 2016
  3. sgstandre Win User
    Search is absolutely broken in Windows 10

This is now on a third computer, so it's systematic to Windows 10.

Brand new Toshiba laptop native with Windows 10 and i7. Have had it for three weeks.

"Indexing Options" --> Indexing is finished. Both email indexing and file content indexing are checked.

I search in Cortana search box for "Oliso". I have both files with this in title and emails.

Windows 10/Cortana says "nothing found". Even in file explorer, I am actually in the directory where the file resides. I enter any word of the title of the files in the directory: nothing found.

Cortana box keeps saying that "Indexing is not finished, so the results may be incomplete". It's been 3 weeks! This seems to be a permanent state with "unfinished index in Cortana" that ALL my Windows 10 PCs are now exhibiting.

Indexing Options says indexing IS finished!

I HAVE rebuilt the index and I HAVE run the search Troubleshooter ("nothing is wrong")

Other issues with your "design":

I have never gotten any email results back from a Cortana search.

Why is the search window self-closing? If you going to search at least a thousand places, why are you forcing the users to wait for the results?

sgstandre, Sep 6, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

You need to set Indexing to search what folders and drives you want to keep in the index file. Cortana has a lot of short comings and one of them is file search. Double check the settings inside Cortana to make sure they are set how you want them. Keep in mind that Cortana sends that information to Microsoft's servers, so that they can track what you are doing with that feature.

bro67, Sep 6, 2016
Thema:

1. Why won't Cortana search my computer for files I am searching for? - Similar Threads - Why won't Cortana

2. Search Bar and Cortana won't work?

in Cortana
    Search Bar and Cortana won't work?: This happened like a week ago when my computer was force-shut off before it fully shut itself off. I can't use the Search Bar without it glowing a lighter grey then closing itself. Cortana does the same thing, Glows lighter then closes. I've also been having trouble with...
  3. Search Not working and Cortana Won't Open

in Cortana
    Search Not working and Cortana Won't Open: Windows Search will not work on my computer. I cannot access Cortana settings. I cannot access the "about" screen to find out which version of windows 10 is running. I have reset the troubleshooting index for search. It does not find any known issues. Windows Updates...
  4. Cortana and Search

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cortana and Search: I performed a virus, malware and clean up of Windows using Tronscript. It did the job except for two things- removed the Search icon and Cortana icon from my Windows tray. I can move Cortana to the tray. However, I can't open it. It tells me need permission from the...
  5. Cortana & Search

in Cortana
    Cortana & Search: Dear Sirs Recently my Cortana has stopped searching, stating that there is no internet connection. However, the internet connection is fine and and strong and nothing else reports this problem. I have no problems browsing at all. What's going on?...
  6. Cortana searches internet, not my computer

in Cortana
    Cortana searches internet, not my computer: Since upgrading to Windows 10 1903 on a Windows 10 Home desktop, Cortana automatically searches the internet for entries I make in the Search window. HP tech support has spent two hours trying to fix this problem. Short of spending $120 CDN approx to upgrade to the Pro...
  7. Cortana search /search ability

in Cortana
    Cortana search /search ability: Where did my search ability go. It still says type here to search, but only blank box comes up. I do not have microphone access, and don't want to give verbal commands anyway. Who wants everybody around me to hear what I am looking for. HOw do I get it back, or has the...
  8. CORTANA search

in Cortana
    CORTANA search: Hi All, Is there a way to configure CORTANA to search for specific words from a documents contained in specific folder only. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cortana-search/98bd5c7b-8da6-4617-b617-cb347ba56cf7"
  9. trying to search my computer files with cortana...it's not working

in Cortana
    trying to search my computer files with cortana...it's not working: possible simple solutions appreciated ! Windows 10 . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/trying-to-search-my-computer-files-with-cortanaits/4a1c61ea-6ff2-4ff1-83a4-e789ee5eded1"
  10. Cortana/Search won't work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cortana/Search won't work: Hey, search box a.k.a cortana isn't working. I tried the method with task manager to end the process but it isn't working. Anyone has any ideas how can i make this work? Thanks 19463

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cortana wont search files

2. cortana wont find files

3. cortana wont search my computer

4. cortana wont search for files on other disk,
  5. why wont cortana search files