Windows 10: Why won't my computer switch from headphones to headset?

Discus and support Why won't my computer switch from headphones to headset? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; When I plug my headset into the computer it asks me "What device did you plug in?". I click "Headset" and when I click on the sound icon on my taskbar... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Jeevesh Sathishkumar, Jan 28, 2021.

1. Why won't my computer switch from headphones to headset?

When I plug my headset into the computer it asks me "What device did you plug in?". I click "Headset" and when I click on the sound icon on my taskbar it says "Headphones Conexant SmartAudio HD". Half of the time when I plug in my headset the pop-up saying "What device did you plug in?" shows up and before I could even take a glance at it, it disappears before I could get a chance to click something. Please assist me further in this process. Thanks!

:)

Jeevesh Sathishkumar, Jan 28, 2021
  2. MisterEd Win User

Computer Won't Use Headphone Mic

Are you using a wired or wireless connection?

If you are using Bluetooth you will find there is a gotcha when using a headset with a microphone. With Bluetooth 4.x there is not enough bandwidth for both the headset's stereo speakers and the microphone at the same time. If the headset's speakers are used in mono mode then the microphone will work. Here is the information from my computer:
    I I left-click on speaker icon on taskbar tray I see my options for the speakers:

• Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio) = Laptops built-in speakers
    • Headphones (Arctis 3 Bluetooth Stereo) = Headphones stereo mode
    • Headphones (Arctis 3 Bluetooth Hands-Free AG Audio) = Headphones mono mode
    I found out that if I select "Headphones (Arctis 3 Bluetooth Hands-Free AG Audio)" the headset microphone will work.

Why won't my computer switch from headphones to headset? [​IMG]

However, I found that next time the computer might choose "Headphones (Arctis 3 Bluetooth Stereo)". Then the headset speakers will work but the the headset microphone will not work.

To ensure that the right selection is always done automatically I have to go further and set the default to "Headphones (Arctis 3 Bluetooth Hands-Free AG Audio)".
    Note I can always override this at any time. To do this...
    I right-click on speaker icon on taskbar tray and left-click on Sounds

The first tab Playback is for the speakers

• Headset = Headphones mono mode
    • Headphones = Headphones stereo mode
    • Speakers = Laptops built-in speakers

The second tab Recording is for the microphone

• Headset = Headset's microphone
    • Microphone Array = Laptop's built-in microphone
    • Stereo Mix = N/A

To ensure that both the headset speakers and microphone work at the same time I set the default playback to Headset. This will put the headset in mono mode and allow the microphone to work. Note that if I disconnect the headset the computer will automatically revert back to using the built-in speakers and microphone.

MisterEd, Jan 28, 2021
  3. ste2425 Win User
    *TPU's Gaming Headphone/Headset Thread*

is this just for headphones/headsets or is stereo's listed also?

ste2425, Jan 28, 2021
  4. Doc2197 Win User

Why won't my computer switch from headphones to headset?

Bluetooth Headset Switching to Headphone mode during a call.

I'm using some bluetooth headphones with my Windows 10 machine. They create two separate playback devices in the Sound list, Headphones and Headset. Headphones is Stereo audio and set to Default device. Headset includes microphone recording audio as well
    and is set to default communications device.

The issue is when I'm in a call, non call audio (e.g. system notifications, program alerts, internet video) will play and switch my headphones from headset mode to headphone mode, and I lose my call audio. Obviously setting headset to default device and
    not just default communications device solves this issue, but I'm looking for a more automatic solution. I've tried setting Mute all other sounds in the Communications tab, but that hasn't helped.

Anyone have a way to automatically either disable the default device or mute all non call sounds to all playback devices when in a call?

Additional notes, that may or may not matter:

Headphones are Jabra Elite Active 65t (optimized for phone usage, not laptop usage)

Calling program is Skype for Business

Doc2197, Jan 28, 2021
Thema:

Why won't my computer switch from headphones to headset?

1. Why won't my computer switch from headphones to headset? - Similar Threads - Why won't computer

2. Why won't my computer let me switch between apps?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why won't my computer let me switch between apps?: So I just recently built my first gaming pc it has a ryzen 5 5600x, an rtx 3060, 32 gigs of ddr4 ram, msi mag b550 tomahawk max wifi motherboard, 2 tb crucial m.2 and I decided to install windows 11 pro. But for some odd reason my computer is not letting me switch between...
  3. Why won't my computer let me switch between apps?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why won't my computer let me switch between apps?: So I just recently built my first gaming pc it has a ryzen 5 5600x, an rtx 3060, 32 gigs of ddr4 ram, msi mag b550 tomahawk max wifi motherboard, 2 tb crucial m.2 and I decided to install windows 11 pro. But for some odd reason my computer is not letting me switch between...
  4. Why won't my headset microphone showup?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why won't my headset microphone showup?: Hi, I've recently purchased a SteelSeries Arctis 3 Console Edition headphones on Ebay. I plugged it into my computer Windows 11 and the sound works perfectly fine. But, the microphone won't show up in settings. It works on other devices IE: Phone, VR headset, etc. but not on...
  5. Why won't my headset microphone showup?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why won't my headset microphone showup?: Hi, I've recently purchased a SteelSeries Arctis 3 Console Edition headphones on Ebay. I plugged it into my computer Windows 11 and the sound works perfectly fine. But, the microphone won't show up in settings. It works on other devices IE: Phone, VR headset, etc. but not on...
  6. Why is my headset connected as a headphone

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Why is my headset connected as a headphone: every time i plug in my headset, i press on the volume icon and it still says "Speakers RealtekR Audio. So i cannot use my headset mic in any game or xbox party or anything, instead the mic is coming from my pc. I need help, this has been going on for the past couple of days...
  7. Why Won't My Headphones Connect?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why Won't My Headphones Connect?: I have a pair of QC35 headphones that won't be detected by my computer. I know it isn't the headphones that is the problem because it connected to my windows 10 laptop. However, my desktop won't detect the headphones. I am running on Windows 20H2. Please help me if you can....
  8. Is there any to automatic switch from headphone to headset

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there any to automatic switch from headphone to headset: I have a Bluetooth headset. Because it's Bluetooth, I can't use the audio at full quality and the microphone at the same time, so I have to open mmsys.cpl and switch from the headphone option to headset. But, when I use the same headset on a Mac, it changes automatically,...
  9. My computer isnt detecting my headset as being a headset, just headphones

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My computer isnt detecting my headset as being a headset, just headphones: I beleive the issue is that the pop up dialog box is not popping up so I can select headset. Is there any way to make it pop up. submitted by /u/epic1107 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/f0uucj/my_computer_isnt_detecting_my_headset_as_being_a/
  10. Bluetooth Headset Switching to Headphone mode during a call.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Bluetooth Headset Switching to Headphone mode during a call.: I'm using some bluetooth headphones with my Windows 10 machine. They create two separate playback devices in the Sound list, Headphones and Headset. Headphones is Stereo audio and set to Default device. Headset includes microphone recording audio as well and is set to default...