Windows 10: Why won't my desktop icons stay in place

Discus and support Why won't my desktop icons stay in place in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; It happen some time ago where my desktop icons will never stay where I want them. I tried everything with the themes and appdata and using the auto... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Bryce Lambert, Jan 30, 2023.

1. Why won't my desktop icons stay in place

It happen some time ago where my desktop icons will never stay where I want them. I tried everything with the themes and appdata and using the auto arrange. Honestly it's just pissing me off now, is there anyway to fix this?

:)

Bryce Lambert, Jan 30, 2023

2. Locking/pinning Windows 10 desktop icons in place

I do the check in the view under Show Desktop Icons and the icon won"t stay put. It disappears when I close the lid for a day. there is no place where it says Lock the icons.

MichaelClark1, Jan 30, 2023
  3. Windows 10 - Icons WILL NOT stay in place on the desktop

I am having this same icon rearranging situation on my Victus 16 running W10. I use a 32" HD monitor as my main and the laptop monitor as the secondary. Auto arrange and align to grid are always off on my machine.

After trying all the steps listed here and from other sources to no avail, I decided to test the problem with my 32" monitor unplugged from the HDMI port. The rearranging situation was gone. I could put the icons anywhere I wanted and they would stay. No toggling this or that switch first, and toggling it off when finished. No problems whatsoever. It was working normally.

Then I plugged the 32" back in and set the multiple display setting to "duplicate these displays". No problem at all. But when I switched the display setting back to "extend" the problem returned immediately. The icons all went back to where they had been before I unplugged the 32" monitor and started my test.

I did finally figure out how to alleviate the problem, and it might not be something the super-users will be comfortable doing, but for me it works fine.

Right click desktop - display settings - scroll to bottom of page, click "advanced display settings" and I changed the refresh rate of the built in laptop monitor from 144.005Hz to 60.031Hz. I left the 32" monitor refresh rate unchanged at 60.000.

Problem solved........for me. Apparently having two different refresh rates on the respective monitors was causing this situation....somehow. I'm not sure if this will work for everyone, but it's worth a shot. I will go to any lengths to make the system work the way it's supposed to work, without installing any 3rd party programs/apps...or whatever we're calling them these days. This one would have been easy to just install the 3rd party, but I'm very happy to have figured it out without it.

Hope this helps. Thanks for all the suggestions. Thanks for reading.

Why won't my desktop icons stay in place 373123d1660409481t-windows-10-icons-will-not-stay-place-desktop-disp3.png

Why won't my desktop icons stay in place 373121d1660409113t-windows-10-icons-will-not-stay-place-desktop-refresh.png

Why won't my desktop icons stay in place 373122d1660409127t-windows-10-icons-will-not-stay-place-desktop-ref2.png

1Mythical1, Jan 30, 2023
  4. Why won't my desktop icons stay in place

Desktop Icons Won't Stay Put

Hi Laurie,

As per the issue description I understand that you are facing issues with desktop icons.

I suggest you try the following step in order to arrange the icons.

• Right click on the desktop.
    • Click on view
    • Check the option auto arrange icons.
    Let us know if this helps.

Thanks.

Divya Murugan, Jan 30, 2023
Thema:

Why won't my desktop icons stay in place

1. Why won't my desktop icons stay in place - Similar Threads - Why won't desktop

2. Why won't my desktop icons stay in place

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why won't my desktop icons stay in place: It happen some time ago where my desktop icons will never stay where I want them. I tried everything with the themes and appdata and using the auto arrange. Honestly it's just pissing me off now, is there anyway to fix this?...
  3. Why won't my desktop icons stay in place

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why won't my desktop icons stay in place: It happen some time ago where my desktop icons will never stay where I want them. I tried everything with the themes and appdata and using the auto arrange. Honestly it's just pissing me off now, is there anyway to fix this?...
  4. Desktop icons don't stay in place

Desktop icons don't stay in place: I've been keeping program and document icons on the desktop since Windows 3.1. My Windows 10 desktop shows some icons on the left side of the screen and some on the right side also. The icons on the left remain where I put them,. However, the icons on the right side get moved...
  5. desktop icons dont stay at the same place

desktop icons dont stay at the same place: Hi, I'm tired of always having to rearrange the desktop icons, how to fix this ? Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icons-dont-stay-at-the-same-place/4113dd83-083b-43b9-ba34-f80e131968ad
  6. Desktop Icons Won't Lock in Place

Desktop Icons Won't Lock in Place: Why won't my desktop icons stay locked in place? They scramble when I restart my computer and I cannot find what I am looking for so I have to re-organize the Icons almost daily. I have followed Help tips for this issue by Microsoft and still doesn't fix problem. Thank...
  7. Task bar and desktop icons will not stay in place

Task bar and desktop icons will not stay in place: Task bar and desktop icons will not stay when replaced win 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/task-bar-and-desktop-icons-will-not-stay-in-place/2e01feaa-3500-451e-b39b-39c89a9b8965
  8. Desktop Icons won't stay in same place

Desktop Icons won't stay in same place: I have to constantly rearrange my desktop icons to there original places, is there a setting to stop this???? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icons-wont-stay-in-same-place/6f98e6b2-53f2-456e-889f-5446bfda110e
  9. desktop icons won't stay in place

in Windows 10 Support
    desktop icons won't stay in place: It's not the end of the world, but since a recent Windows update my desktop icons won't stay where I put them. In addition, after my computer boots up and everything is loaded, desktop icons do not appear on their own. I have to right click/view/show desktop icons....
  10. Some desktop icons won't stay where I place them.

in Windows 10 Support
    Some desktop icons won't stay where I place them.: This started after I did a refresh installation. While many of the icons remain where they are, some of them refuse to stay put when I move them. They spring to another position. What might be causing this bizarre behaviour? 95380