Windows 10: Why wont my touchpad move my mouse when I hold down a key?

Discus and support Why wont my touchpad move my mouse when I hold down a key? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Whenever I hold down a non function key my touchpad doesn't want to move and its been bugging me for a while, is there anyway I can fix this? If so... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Alexzander Rodri, Jun 6, 2023.

1. Why wont my touchpad move my mouse when I hold down a key?

Whenever I hold down a non function key my touchpad doesn't want to move and its been bugging me for a while, is there anyway I can fix this? If so how?

:)

Alexzander Rodri, Jun 6, 2023
  2. nxavis9 Win User

I want to disable touchpad on Dell laptop

Hello everyone,
    My laptop's touchpad works and I don't want it to, because I prefer a mouse. It's a Dell Inspiron 11 3000 series on windows 10 OS.

What I have tried that hasn't worked:
    • start<settings<devices<mouse & touchpad<additional mouse options. This opens a window called Mouse Options which has 5 tabs up top, none of which involve the touchpad. The Hardware tab shows 2 devices: the mouse itself, and the USB. No touchpad there.
    • windows key+x<mobility center. No touchpad to be found.
    • various function keys. No options for touchpad on/off.
    • device manager<mice and other pointing devices. Again, only the mouse and usb show up. It appears the touchpad is working without a driver, which is a little spooky.
    Any other suggestions? I could try downloading a third party driver, but that seems like a step in the wrong direction.
    Thanks

nxavis9, Jun 6, 2023
  3. cauyao615 Win User
    Mouse and touchpad not working

Hey did exactly what you suggested and the first time i did it the mouse cursor became visible, it was at the center of the screen but i still couldnt make it move with the touchpad and i plugged in my usb mouse and that doesnt work too. I did it a few moret times but cursor never showed up again and still could make either the touchpad or the mouse to work. Do you have anymore suggestion?

cauyao615, Jun 6, 2023
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

Why wont my touchpad move my mouse when I hold down a key?

Disable Touchpad and use External mouse

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you want to disable the TouchPad of your laptop and want to use an external USB mouse.

To use an external USB mouse, please connect the USB mouse to any USB port on your laptop and it will be set up automatically.

To disable the touchpad you can try the following steps and check if that helps:

1. Press and hold Windows + X key on the keyboard.
    2. Select Device manager from the list.
    3. Expand Mice and other pointing devices.
    4. Find Synaptics SMBus TouchPad/ELANClickpad touchpad.
    5. Right click on the driver and select Disable.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jun 6, 2023
Thema:

Why wont my touchpad move my mouse when I hold down a key?

1. Why wont my touchpad move my mouse when I hold down a key? - Similar Threads - Why wont touchpad

2. Why wont my touchpad move my mouse when I hold down a key?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why wont my touchpad move my mouse when I hold down a key?: Whenever I hold down a non function key my touchpad doesn't want to move and its been bugging me for a while, is there anyway I can fix this? If so how?...
  3. Why wont my touchpad move my mouse when I hold down a key?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why wont my touchpad move my mouse when I hold down a key?: Whenever I hold down a non function key my touchpad doesn't want to move and its been bugging me for a while, is there anyway I can fix this? If so how?...
  4. Can't move my mouse when holding a key!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't move my mouse when holding a key!: Cant Move mouse pointer while CTRL/Shift/ALT key is pressed. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-move-my-mouse-when-holding-a-key/2dbba406-ffca-43ae-ace7-51ebdf37de3f
  5. Can't move my mouse when holding a key!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't move my mouse when holding a key!: Cant Move mouse pointer while CTRL/Shift/ALT key is pressed. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-move-my-mouse-when-holding-a-key/2dbba406-ffca-43ae-ace7-51ebdf37de3f
  6. touchpad doesnt work when i hold a key down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    touchpad doesnt work when i hold a key down: my touchpad stops moving if I press any key I cant play any games https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/touchpad-doesnt-work-when-i-hold-a-key-down/7ea444e8-a8bb-4619-9585-db7cb13a5c7a
  7. My cursor stops moving when i hold down a key on my keyboard!!!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My cursor stops moving when i hold down a key on my keyboard!!!: I was trying to do some light gaming on my laptop, when i noticed that my touchpad does not work at the same time as pressing or holding down any key on my keyboard. This would make it impossible for me to do any sort of gaming. I am using a HP Elitebook 745 G3, I have...
  8. My cursor will not move while hold down a key.

in Windows 10 Customization
    My cursor will not move while hold down a key.: My cursor will not move if I press down any key except the space bar it is really hard to do loads of stuff since it will not move once I press a key does anyone know how to fix?...
  9. Mouse not working when holding down a key

Mouse not working when holding down a key: I have three mice that all have this same problem, so I think this is a fault on my laptop (this also happens with the touchpad). Whenever I hold down a key for some reason, laptop will not register any right/left clicks. I've tried restarting, updating the drivers and I'm...
  10. I cannot Move my mouse at all when i'm holding any key

I cannot Move my mouse at all when i'm holding any key: I don't really have this problem because i use an external mouse and keyboard but the external mouse broke, so i have to use the mouse pad on the laptop. The Problem happens ALL the time and its frustrating when i want to play my games, i have been through more than 30 posts...