Windows 10: Why won't windows 10 delete large files on an additional system drive?

Discus and support Why won't windows 10 delete large files on an additional system drive? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I added an additional internal hard drive to facilitate my video editing in Premiere. When capturing from tape, it creates large .avi files which I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by audioeditor, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Why won't windows 10 delete large files on an additional system drive?

I added an additional internal hard drive to facilitate my video editing in Premiere. When capturing from tape, it creates large .avi files which I then output as .mp4 video files. when through, I need to erase the large .avi capture files which are often 44 gigs or 100 gigs or 73 gigs, etc. I find that Windows 10 will not delete these files. It goes into "calculations" that last forever but never do anything. I can't understand that a task this simple does not exist in Windows 10 and it's 2018. What a terrible oversight. A 3rd party program called WinRAR will archive these files and then delete the archive. That's the only way to do it. Windows 10 won't. Please add a feature to do this. this is basic!

:)

audioeditor, Dec 20, 2018
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Dec 20, 2018
  3. Deleting the temporary files

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Please provide some additional information, so that we can assist you better.

1. Are you facing issues with any other files apart from Office suites?

However, I suggest you to follow the below mentioned steps:

1. Open Control panel.

2. Select System and security.

3. Administrative tools.

4. Open Disk Cleanup.

5. Click on Clean up system files.

Note: Usually the large files are the system files that will not appear unless you clean on clean system files and that was the missing step in most proposed solution.

6. You can select the large files appear in the Files to delete window.

7. Deleting your previous version of Windows can’t be undone.

You may refer Microsoft article to make free space on your Windows 10.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/4026616/windows-10-disk-cleanup.

Note: If you need to free up drive space, you can safely delete it, but keep in mind that you'll be deleting your Windows. Old folder, which contains files that give you the option
    to go back to your previous version of Windows.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking "Yes or No.

Harish

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Harish_kum, Dec 20, 2018
  4. Alden Rey Win User

Why won't windows 10 delete large files on an additional system drive?

deleting hard drive files

Hi,

May we know what type of file are you trying to delete? Would it be Office documents, media files, or picture files? If you're trying to delete files for free some space on your device. We suggest to perform a Disc Cleanup. Kindly follow the steps below to
    perform the task:

• Type in Cortana Disc Cleanup
    • Choose the files to delete
    • Click on "Clean up system files"
    • Click on Ok

For any concerns, don't hesitate to get back to us.

Regards.

Alden Rey, Dec 20, 2018
Thema:

Why won't windows 10 delete large files on an additional system drive?

1. Why won't windows 10 delete large files on an additional system drive? - Similar Threads - Why won't delete

2. How to delete large, older System Recovery backup files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to delete large, older System Recovery backup files?: We have a DellUltra with ~230 gb hard drive/64-bit, running Windows 10 Home version and subscribe to Office 365. We have less than 1 GB of space left, and using TreeSize it seems most of the ~140 GB in "Other" storage is taken up by older system recovery backup files....
  3. How to delete large, older System Recovery backup files?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to delete large, older System Recovery backup files?: We have a DellUltra with ~230 gb hard drive/64-bit, running Windows 10 Home version and subscribe to Office 365. We have less than 1 GB of space left, and using TreeSize it seems most of the ~140 GB in "Other" storage is taken up by older system recovery backup files....
  4. How to delete large, older System Recovery backup files?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Why deleting system files is a feature?

Why deleting system files is a feature?: Hello,I`m thinking why Microsoft added the feature that system files are deletable!1. Why they added it?2. Any reason to delete system files?I wanna discuss about it and i dont think the feature is not necessary, it cause only problems..Greetings...
  6. Why deleting system files is a feature?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why deleting system files is a feature?: Hello,I`m thinking why Microsoft added the feature that system files are deletable!1. Why they added it?2. Any reason to delete system files?I wanna discuss about it and i dont think the feature is not necessary, it cause only problems..Greetings...
  7. Windows Won't Delete Large Files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Won't Delete Large Files: Even when using /del in an administrator command prompt, large video files that I use take exorbitantly long times to delete in Windows. It seems very inconsistent of a problem too, with some video files exceeding 80 gigs delete instantly, and others nearing 60 taking actual...
  8. I deleted large files in my D Drive using shift+delete the files disappeared but the drive...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I deleted large files in my D Drive using shift+delete the files disappeared but the drive...: In the C Drive when I used to delete files I press shift+delete to permanently delete them without passing through the recycle bin because files in recycle bin won't change the storage as we knowbut in D Drive when I tried to delete some large files that I wanted to delete I...
  9. System Files To Large On Windows Partition

System Files To Large On Windows Partition: I have a mac mini and i partitioned the disc so i could run windows but the system files have eaten up all my storage space. I have already disabled hibernate and have checked for broken software. Keep in mind I have given windows 120 GB to run on. My actual hard drive is...
  10. Large files on external drive cause system to hang

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Large files on external drive cause system to hang: Hi all, I have an HP Spectre laptop. I work in television and have to transfer very large files (70-100gb each). When a drive containing those files are connected, the system will hang - sometimes for a short time, sometimes it requires a hard boot. Not sure what is causing...