Windows 10: Why won't Windows accept a driver that worked some time ago?

Discus and support Why won't Windows accept a driver that worked some time ago? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello everyone, this will be a rather lengthy post. Please bear with me, as I don't know what information is pertinent to my problem and what isn't. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Jaap Verhage, Jun 16, 2018.

1. Why won't Windows accept a driver that worked some time ago?

Hello everyone,

this will be a rather lengthy post. Please bear with me, as I don't know what information is pertinent to my problem and what isn't.
    I have a Dell Latitude E6410 laptop which has been running 64-bits Windows 10 satisfactorily for quite some time now. However, its original 250 GB hard disk was rather slow, small, getting old and throwing up file system errors a bit too frequently to my liking. So I decided to try to move some disk-intensive Windows functionality onto another medium, like a USB flash drive or a memory card. That's no problem with the Temp directory and ReadyBoost, but if you want to put the page file or the search index onto it, you have to find a way to fool Windows into believing that the medium is permanent instead of removable. Various drivers exist that claim to do this, and after a lot of experimenting, I thought I had it figured out with the filter driver cfadisk.sys, originating from Hitachi. What I did, was:
    - from an elevated command prompt:
    bcdedit /set nointegritychecks on
    bcdedit /set loadoptions ddisable_integrity_checks
    bcdedit /set testsigning on
    - reboot with shift-restart
    - choose option 7 from the startup menu to disable enforcing driver signature checking
    - install the driver
    - reboot and see the driver working as advertised, without further ado.
    Wonderful!

But then, the hard disk started making trouble, even more frequent file system errors, bad sectors cropping up. It got so bad that I got the message "Missing operating system" at startup, at which point I realized that something was seriously amiss. Luckily, I had a fairly recent backup. So I went and got myself a shiny new 2 TB disk, installed it and restored the backup onto it. No go; the restore went fine, but the PC wouldn't even consider starting up, just showing me a blank screen with a blinking cursor in the upper left corner. After x tries, I gave up and took the laptop to a PC shop, where they emptied the new disk of all its contents and put a clean Win 10 install on it. Back home, I backed that up in case of further trouble. I decided that the recent backup I used earlier was probably corrupt. I then restored an older backup from the broken-down disk, hoping that that one wouldn't be corrupt. It wasn't, and after a few hours I was back in business, wit a MUCH bigger disk *Smile .
    But. Since then, I haven't been able to get the filter driver to work! As far as I know, I'm doing exactly the same things I did before, but Windows will not accept the unsigned driver unless I disable driver signature checking with option 7 from the startup menu every time I boot. Obviously, that's not acceptable, ands the BCDEDIT commands should take care of that. If I examine the BCD, the settings are alle there: no integrity checking and so on. So I'm wondering what, if anything, may have changed in my laptop, apart from the new disk, or what, if anything, may have changed in Windows. Some update that enforces driver signature checking even more rigorously than before, perhaps? I don't think it's the PC's BIOS; there is an option to boot in UEFI mode, but there's no Secure boot possibility, so that could not be the problem. And I've always used the Legacy BIOS mode and am still doing that. Also, I've read that Windows 10, when cleanly installed, won't accept unsigned drivers, but that Windows 10, upgraded from a previous Windows version, will. The registry tells me that "my" Windows 10 is an upgrade from Windows 7, which has indeed happened somewhere back in 2015.

So - I'm stymied. Any ideas? I'd like to get that driver working again; it did fine until, if I remember correctly, mid-March past. I'm not waiting for advice like "Don't mess with unsigned drivers", but if you MUST give it, feel free to do so *Smile .

Regards, Jaap.

:)

Jaap Verhage, Jun 16, 2018

2. after latest update my phone lost his network and won t work...several times restart by himself...also wi-fi tile won t work

after latest update my phone lost his network and won t work...several times restart by himself...also wi-fi tile won t work

radelovrić, Jun 16, 2018
  3. tops Win User
    Skype won´t wok in 17063

Skype Won´t work... games won´t work...

Making backup and re-format...

Maybe I Install a Windows 7 again, At least, all of my games run smoothly ...Sadness!!

*Banghead

4. Nordic Win User

Why won't Windows accept a driver that worked some time ago?

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Jun 16, 2018
Thema:

Why won't Windows accept a driver that worked some time ago?

1. Why won't Windows accept a driver that worked some time ago? - Similar Threads - Why won't accept

2. Some times windows 11 will not accept my correct login password

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Some times windows 11 will not accept my correct login password: Windows 11 login won't accept my password. I tried rebooting in safe mode and I encounter the same issue. I try my password multiple times, doesn't work, reboot a few times, try again, reboot, try again and then it just works. No apparent reason for it to not work. I've tried...
  3. Some times windows 11 will not accept my correct login password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Some times windows 11 will not accept my correct login password: Windows 11 login won't accept my password. I tried rebooting in safe mode and I encounter the same issue. I try my password multiple times, doesn't work, reboot a few times, try again, reboot, try again and then it just works. No apparent reason for it to not work. I've tried...
  4. why is it saying long time ago in file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why is it saying long time ago in file explorer: this hurts so much when the file explorer say long time ago and dont mean it like do you think 1 year is long time ago windows ??this future makes me go back to windows 7 or 8 or 8.1 or anything else because i dont wanna live in this file explorer lie which is called long...
  5. Windows Home won't accept work email

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Home won't accept work email: Greetings,I bought a laptop 'Windows Home' for my work.It's asking for my email address before login in the first time. When I wrote my work email it give me an error message that the email not exist.But when I wrote my personal email it's accepting it?Do I need windows pro...
  6. Windows Home won't accept work email

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Home won't accept work email: Greetings,I bought a laptop 'Windows Home' for my work.It's asking for my email address before login in the first time. When I wrote my work email it give me an error message that the email not exist.But when I wrote my personal email it's accepting it?Do I need windows pro...
  7. Microsoft won't accept password a second time

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft won't accept password a second time: I just got a new computer. I'm trying to sign into my Microsoft account via my computer but it won't let me. I've changed my password several times. It'll accept a new password and when I go to sign in, it'll accept the password the FIRST TIME. Then it gives me a "give us the...
  8. Driver is not accepted

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Driver is not accepted: Hello. I have installed a driver for my MIDI controller. Now when I connect it to the computer it is being recognised as a device that uses that driver, but it is not working - in device manager it says: "This device is unable to start code 10 Insufficient system resources...
  9. Yes, Windows, that's exatcly what I wanted... (Used to work correctly some time ago)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Yes, Windows, that's exatcly what I wanted... (Used to work correctly some time ago): [IMG] submitted by /u/thx4nothing [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gbp3i5/yes_windows_thats_exatcly_what_i_wanted_used_to/
  10. My laptop won't accept some external monitors

in Windows 10 Customization
    My laptop won't accept some external monitors: Dear all, I have the following tricky problem. I have an Asus laptop with windows 10. Recently I bought a new 27" Dell Monitor and plugged it with HDMI cable to my laptop. My new Dell was not recognized and I got no signal on screen. I tried with a widescreen Asus monitor...