Windows 10: Why won't Windows Explorer accept my router username/password when attemting to map a...

Discus and support Why won't Windows Explorer accept my router username/password when attemting to map a... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a hard drive attached to my router and have successfully mapped it in each iteration of Windows from XP to 10. It's always been an unnecessarily... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by EwanHoozami, Aug 25, 2018.

1. Why won't Windows Explorer accept my router username/password when attemting to map a...

I have a hard drive attached to my router and have successfully mapped it in each iteration of Windows from XP to 10. It's always been an unnecessarily complicated and difficult process, involving internet searching, consulting web sites, tearing hair out etc, but through sheer determination and perseverance I've managed to do it.

Until now.

And all I did was reset the router and change it's password while I was at it. But Windows will not accept the new username/password.

So I re-enabled SAMBA in the router. Still no go.

So I uninstalled the drive and tried to remap it. Still no go. So I tried using a different drive letter, still no go. I've also tried prefixing the username with WORKGROUP\ but still no go.

It's not just me, a good proportion of internet is devoted to this problem.

Please, Microsoft, fix this problem.

:)

EwanHoozami, Aug 25, 2018
  2. IggSter Win User

How to factory reset Cisco 1700 Router

Hopefully I can help you here....its a very common thing to happen.

First, I take it you dont know the passwords for console access or telnet/ssh?

I will assume that these devices belong to you.

step 1. Plug a cisco console cable into a serial port on your pc
    step 2. Plug other end into Cisco console port
    step 3. Using hyperterm or putty or similar connect to the serial port
    step 4. boot router, and make sure you clearly can see the output (this confirms you have good serial comms)
    step 5. if this fails, adjust the comm port settings (9600, 8,1,n are the default)
    step 6. now you have to do the only hard part...send the break command:

Break command list: Break Commands

Go down the list and match your OS and SW and try the sequence suggested.

If this fails several times do what I do: Install putty (free) and then to send a break so you can get into rommom just hit "ctrl-a b".

IggSter, Aug 25, 2018
  3. My windows password won't be accepted.

Hello,

We appreciate your persistent patience on this issue.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to create a new user account.

Step 1: I suggest you to boot the device to Safe mode with networking from lock screen.

Refer to: From the sign-in screen

Step 2: Once you are in Safe mode, I recommend you to add another user account.

Follow the below steps to create new user account from Safe mode:

• Press Windows + X key together on your desktop screen.
    • Click on Command Prompt (admin) to open
      Command Prompt
    • Type the following command and hit Enter:
    • net user <new user name> <password> /add" (substituting the desired username for "new user name" and the desired password for "password" example: "net user newuser 12345 /add"
      (Check for the spaces)
    • Close the command prompt and restart the computer to check if you are able to see the new user account.

Let us know if the above recommendation is helpful.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Aug 25, 2018
  4. BulldogXX Win User

Why won't Windows Explorer accept my router username/password when attemting to map a...

router password change

What a great question - this is something that everyone should do.

Begin by signing in to your router's administration console, which holds all your router's settings. Do this by entering your router's IP address into the address bar of any browser and pressing Enter.

Your router uses one of the handful of standard IP addresses assigned to consumer routers. You can easily find your router's IP address with a web search; just search for <make and model of your router> IP address. For example, my router's IP address is

You'll be brought to the sign-in screen for your router, where you'll need to enter your router's username and password. Routers' default usernames and passwords are posted on the web, which is why you need to change them. Just search for <your make and
    model of router> username and password.

For example, the default username and password for my router were admin and admin. Real secure, huh?

Once you've entered your router's administration console, look through the screens - there will be lots of them! - until you find the screen that lets you change the admin console's username and password. Choose a long, complicated, un-guessable password.

Once you are in your router's admin console, if you're using a WiFi network in any way (even if only for your printer,) and if you haven't already done so, you should password-protect your WiFi network. Choose a different long, complicated, un-guessable
    password and make sure your network is secured with the WPA2-PSK method. Note: Once you password-protect your network you need to enter that password to every device on the network.

Don't forget those passwords!

BulldogXX, Aug 25, 2018
Thema:

Why won't Windows Explorer accept my router username/password when attemting to map a...

1. Why won't Windows Explorer accept my router username/password when attemting to map a... - Similar Threads - Why won't Explorer

2. Why won't Windows Security reauthentication prompt accept my windows username and password...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why won't Windows Security reauthentication prompt accept my windows username and password...: This is a re-authentication Windows Security prompt for login info to view my passwords in my chrome password manager but it does not accept my normal login information which I've confirmed many times. I've restarted the computer and reinstalled chrome several times and...
  3. Why won't Windows Security reauthentication prompt accept my windows username and password...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why won't Windows Security reauthentication prompt accept my windows username and password...: This is a re-authentication Windows Security prompt for login info to view my passwords in my chrome password manager but it does not accept my normal login information which I've confirmed many times. I've restarted the computer and reinstalled chrome several times and...
  4. Why won't Google Chrome Windows Security Prompt accept my windows username and password to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why won't Google Chrome Windows Security Prompt accept my windows username and password to...: This is a re-authentication Windows Security prompt for login info to view my passwords in my chrome password manager but it does not accept my normal login information which I've confirmed many times. I've restarted the computer and reinstalled chrome several times and...
  5. Why won't Google Chrome Windows Security Prompt accept my windows username and password to...

Why won't Google Chrome Windows Security Prompt accept my windows username and password to...: This is a re-authentication Windows Security prompt for login info to view my passwords in my chrome password manager but it does not accept my normal login information which I've confirmed many times. I've restarted the computer and reinstalled chrome several times and...
  6. Windows won't accept password

Windows won't accept password: My laptop encountered an error and I've been in a bit of a loop with the recovery part e.i. restarting and ending up with the error and then being told automatic repair can't fix the issue. Every attempt I've made to use things like command prompt and stuff like the reset...
  7. Why won't my laptop accept my password at login?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Why won't my laptop accept my password at login?: Hi, My password wasn't accepted when I logged into windows on laptop. I got the error message: "The password is incorrect. Make sure youre using the password for your Microsoft acct. You can always reset it at account.live.com" I reset my password but have the same issue...
  8. Windows VPN Won't Accept Any Username or Password

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows VPN Won't Accept Any Username or Password: I use Windows 10's default VPN for tethering reasons and because, in the past, it was really simple to setup. I've had the same VPN saved on my laptop for months and previously was able to simply click it on when I needed to and it worked great. This isn't the case anymore....
  9. Windows VPN Won't Accept Any Username or Password

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows VPN Won't Accept Any Username or Password: I use Windows 10's default VPN for tethering reasons and because, in the past, it was really simple to setup. I've had the same VPN saved on my laptop for months and previously was able to simply click it on when I needed to and it worked great. This isn't the case anymore....
  10. Why won't facebook accept any of my passwords?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Why won't facebook accept any of my passwords?: Facebook problems... it won't accept my passwords and keeps asking for new ones which don't work when I get them. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/why-wont-facebook-accept-any-of-my-passwords/611db86f-a518-47f0-aad3-94cd887bc850