Windows 10: Why would a file I haven't opened be listed under Recent Files in File Explorer?

Discus and support Why would a file I haven't opened be listed under Recent Files in File Explorer? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Why would File Explorer show a file name under Recent Files that I haven't opened? The file is from a deep folder tree so not an errant click on my... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by RPHardy, Sep 7, 2020.

1. RPHardy Win User

Why would a file I haven't opened be listed under Recent Files in File Explorer?

Why would File Explorer show a file name under Recent Files that I haven't opened? The file is from a deep folder tree so not an errant click on my part. I've run a full virus scan plus a remote scan and both check out okay.

:)

RPHardy, Sep 7, 2020
  2. slozomby Win User

Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Sep 7, 2020
  3. eidairaman1, Sep 7, 2020
  4. slozomby Win User

Why would a file I haven't opened be listed under Recent Files in File Explorer?

Recent File List

to prevent it from autopopulating try making the reg key
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List read only

slozomby, Sep 7, 2020
Thema:

1. Why would a file I haven't opened be listed under Recent Files in File Explorer? - Similar Threads - Why file haven't

2. Not "recent" files under recent

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not "recent" files under recent: Hi, When I open my file folder there are multiple documents that were created years ago, have not been accessed or altered since but are showing up in "recent" with todays date in one drive. Any idea why? Thank you...
  3. Not "recent" files under recent

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Not "recent" files under recent: Hi, When I open my file folder there are multiple documents that were created years ago, have not been accessed or altered since but are showing up in "recent" with todays date in one drive. Any idea why? Thank you...
  4. Files I haven't opened in months appearing in "Recent Files" in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files I haven't opened in months appearing in "Recent Files" in File Explorer: This morning I noticed my recent files section on the home tab of the file explorer included a bunch of files I hadn't opened in months. They all appear to have been opened at the exact same time 5:55pm 5:54pm, 5:50pm, and 10 to 15 at a time have the exact same time stamp. It...
  5. Files I haven't opened in months appearing in "Recent Files" in File Explorer

Files I haven't opened in months appearing in "Recent Files" in File Explorer: This morning I noticed my recent files section on the home tab of the file explorer included a bunch of files I hadn't opened in months. They all appear to have been opened at the exact same time 5:55pm 5:54pm, 5:50pm, and 10 to 15 at a time have the exact same time stamp. It...
  6. Why did Word files I didn't open in months appear in recent files list in Windows Explorer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why did Word files I didn't open in months appear in recent files list in Windows Explorer?: On the Home page on Windows Explorer in Windows 11, I noticed that Word files I haven't opened in months or years appear in the recent files list. Three days ago there were several Word files showing they were opened the same time. Today, there were several Word files at...
  7. Why did Word files I didn't open in months appear in recent files list in Windows Explorer?

Why did Word files I didn't open in months appear in recent files list in Windows Explorer?: On the Home page on Windows Explorer in Windows 11, I noticed that Word files I haven't opened in months or years appear in the recent files list. Three days ago there were several Word files showing they were opened the same time. Today, there were several Word files at...
  8. Recently opened word file not showing up in File Explorer Quick Access Recent Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recently opened word file not showing up in File Explorer Quick Access Recent Files: Running Windows 10 Home Every file word, excel, pdf, jpeg, etc that I open shows up in my "File Explorer Quick Access Recent Files" list, except one. It's a Word file .docx and I have other files of the same type in my list. Any thoughts on why? Thanks, David...
  9. How do I expand the 'Recent' list in the File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I expand the 'Recent' list in the File Explorer?: I've pinned my File Explorer to my taskbar and I have a lot of quick-access links pinned to it. [img] Because of that, I only get one item of my recently opened folders and files. Is there a way to expand the list of the recent files in that taskbar File Explorer?...
  10. File Explorer and Recent Files

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer and Recent Files: At work, I'll open files on a network path that is only accessible at work, e.g. \\mywork.org\shares\file.xyz These files will appear in my recent list when opening File Explorer (Win+E). The problem I have is at home where that network path is not accessible, and the...