Windows 10: Why would a reset/recovery work for one day then laptop slows back down to a crawl?

Discus and support Why would a reset/recovery work for one day then laptop slows back down to a crawl? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, This is my machine: Edition Windows 10 Home Version 20H2 Installed on ‎2/‎13/‎2021 OS build 19042.804 Experience Windows Feature... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by ejbpesca, Feb 22, 2021.

1. ejbpesca Win User

Why would a reset/recovery work for one day then laptop slows back down to a crawl?

[COLOR=rgba42, 0, 170, 1]Hello,[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba42, 0, 170, 1]This is my machine:[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba42, 0, 170, 1]Edition Windows 10 Home[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba42, 0, 170, 1]Version 20H2[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba42, 0, 170, 1]Installed on ‎2/‎13/‎2021[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba42, 0, 170, 1]OS build 19042.804[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba42, 0, 170, 1]Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba42, 0, 170, 1]Device name DESKTOP-0DA9BVS[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba42, 0, 170, 1]Processor IntelR CoreTM i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz 2.90 GHz[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba42, 0, 170, 1]Installed RAM 16.0 GB 15.9 GB usable[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba42, 0, 170, 1]Device ID 7E5800ED-EF92-449C-813A-697586D85AB6[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba42, 0, 170, 1]Product ID 00325-96086-63904-AAOEM[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba42, 0, 170, 1]System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba42, 0, 170, 1]Pen and touch Touch support with 10 touch points[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba42, 0, 170, 1]As you can see the OS is much newer than the computer that I've had for five years now. When I first ran a reset saving my files and booted up the laptop it ran like new. Fast on the web and fast doing internal operations all around. Next came loading various apps and making changes to settings. After the few apps were loaded the computer slowed to a crawl again not even being able to handle even text being typed in without sitting and running for 10 minutes locked up. The web loads as if I'm using a 25 year old computer on the old super slow internet. My wifi router feeds other devices I have fine and fast as I could ever need. I must sit and wait 10 minutes for my laptop to even begin to show it is connected to the web.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba42, 0, 170, 1]The specs on my laptop are not top but not low either. What do you think my problem may be? Computer simply worn out? Should I try another reset? The only app I have not from Microsoft is Libre Office. Is that dangerous software? My new McAfee anti malware scans everything and finds no viruses. I have tried every thing suggested for speeding up this computer with failure. I have no overload of memory issues.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba42, 0, 170, 1]The most curious thing is how my other devices work lightning over my high speed net connection yet this laptop is painfully slow and so slow that many times I give up and shut it down. What would you do? Get a new machine? Can you suggest a laptop model? It does not have to have the specs of this one. This machine has had its issues but runs very cool, was very fast, but is a bit heavy. I am disabled and in bed most the time so less weight is important for me to move it. I spend six hours a day on a laptop. Maybe I chose one that cannot take that much use?[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba42, 0, 170, 1]I could use a smaller screen if it is very hi res but I use the 15" screen so I can increase font size and have it fit on the screen.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba42, 0, 170, 1]At five years old is it simply time for a new computer? Does the hardware simply get old and loses its abilities? I once used my desktop with instant reaction to commands. Now it takes a minute to populate the files with a message, "Working On It." After such a speedy experience with this laptop its slowing so far down is a big disappointment and almost to the point of total disfunction.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba42, 0, 170, 1]All updates are current.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba42, 0, 170, 1]Every trick the web can suggest has been tried in an attempt to speed up.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba42, 0, 170, 1]A reset worked to make the laptop like new but for only one day.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba42, 0, 170, 1]Web is set to 5 ghz.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba42, 0, 170, 1]Turbo boost has been turned on/off on makes no difference.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba42, 0, 170, 1]Should I use my recovery drive? a USB stick I made when I got the machine and this time wipe clean all my files as well?[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba42, 0, 170, 1]Is there something I'm missing here or do you think my Inspiron is just worn out?[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba42, 0, 170, 1]Thank you so much if you read all this.[/COLOR]

:)

ejbpesca, Feb 22, 2021
  2. Curious Win User

Windows update downloads slow system to a crawl

I can always tell when Windows update is downloading updates. The entire laptop (8 GB ram and fast FIOS insternet) slows down to a crawl for most of that day. It becomes painfully slow to use.
    Is there anything I can do about that?

Curious, Feb 22, 2021
  3. ScottDN Win User
    100% HDD slowing laptop to a crawl

Well I don't know what happened to my last post yesterday .

Missing post basically said the Laptop has been reset now & now it's broken. Running at 100% HDD.

After a day of crawling at 95-100% HDD I've managed to download some up dates & run some HP tests.

The Seagate ST2000LM007 2TB HDD passed & isn't the problem. This drive has data transfer rates for up to 180MB/s.

According to task manager "100%" HDD is occurring with as little as 0.1MB/s.

This is definitely a Windows 10 OS fault.

What is the fix?

Scott

ScottDN, Feb 22, 2021
  4. Why would a reset/recovery work for one day then laptop slows back down to a crawl?

All browsers slow to a crawl

I have upgraded an Intel NUC 2820 from Windows 8.1 to 10 and initially experienced no problems.

Recently though browsing the net has slowed down to a a crawl, it does get there eventually but it is extremely slow and loading say Facebook takes up to 3 minutes. (compared to a couple of seconds up to a couple of days ago).

It is slow (to various degrees, Firefox being the fastest) using Chrome, Firefox, IE or Edge so I don't think it is up to the specific browser.

It is also not due to my network limitations as my laptop still works normally and downloading is still fast on the NUC.

I have tried running the pc in safe mode with networking and it was still slow. I also tried deleting cache, clearing extra space etc...

I believe that it became slow very soon after installing a certain silverlight security upgrade but it doesn't let me delete this update and it seems there are no restore points to go back to (I sort of assumed this happens automatically rather than me having
    to set it up...) I can only revert to 8.1 which I would prefer to avoid...

Any help would be very very much appreciated.

Matija Bucic, Feb 22, 2021
Thema:

Why would a reset/recovery work for one day then laptop slows back down to a crawl?

1. Why would a reset/recovery work for one day then laptop slows back down to a crawl? - Similar Threads - Why reset recovery

2. Windows running at a slow crawl

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows running at a slow crawl: Dell InspirionIntel Core i5-9400 @2.90GHz32 GB RAMWindows 11 x64For the past week or so my PC has become almost unuseable because of how slow it runs. I read there was recent update KB5007215 but I can not find a download link on the MS website.I've tried shutting down all...
  3. Laptop running Windows 10, slowing to a crawl...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop running Windows 10, slowing to a crawl...: Hello, recently my HP laptop running the most recent version of Windows 10 has been slowing down in weird ways. Every device function that isn't clicking or typing has slowed down significantly despite multiple restarts, ample hard drive space and it being free of malware as...
  4. Loading and restarting slowed down to a crawl after 2004 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Loading and restarting slowed down to a crawl after 2004 update: Once again an update ruins my PC, but this time I actually don't know what to do. So I had a snappy Windows 10 machine, but then it started pestering me about an update. I resisted for a while knowing full well how it can end up but gave in after it said my system would no...
  5. Windows 10 is slowing to a crawl

Windows 10 is slowing to a crawl: Hey I've got Windows 10 v1909 and recently it became terribly slow. I had problems with BSOD for which i've consulted with the community and disabled Intel Turbo Boost 3 and uninstalled Kaspersky since they thought it might be conflicting with Malewarebytes. I've done a...
  6. why my laptop getting slow day by day

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    why my laptop getting slow day by day: my laptop getting slow day by day could you help me pls... pls give some solution.... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/why-my-laptop-getting-slow-day-by-day/33d6070f-26fc-4f4c-bc27-05a0425f11a0
  7. Windows 10 slows down to a crawl

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 slows down to a crawl: So this has happened to me twice in the past week. Windows would just randomly slow down and start stuttering to the point where its unusable, and I would have to hard reset my machine. I run dual monitors, and in both instances, I was playing a game on one monitor, while...
  8. 100% HDD slowing laptop to a crawl

100% HDD slowing laptop to a crawl: Hi, I have just bought a brand new HP Laptop 8 Gig RAM, 7th gen i7 Intel, 2 TB HDD. Currently it"s not running much software & that annoying 100% HDD usage has already appeared. I have already increased the virtual RAM ( should be necessary with these specs). This problem...
  9. Laptop WiFi slowed down to a crawl

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Laptop WiFi slowed down to a crawl: Device: Toshiba Satellite C55-C5241. OS: Windows 10 x64 (Pre Installed) ISP: Suddenlink WiFi Router: Netgear N600 Wireless Double band router (WNDR3400v3). Firmware version V1.0.0.38_1.0.40 I get a low speed of 0.3 Mbps on the laptop through WiFi whereas the same WiFi...
  10. Startup slowed to a crawl

in Windows 10 Support
    Startup slowed to a crawl: Hi Everyone, I haven't been here for quite some time. About a week ago something changed with my Windows 10 startup. Everything seems to begin smoothly until the final blue screen finishes. There was usually a slight pause before the desktop appears but now just before my...