Windows 10: Why would external drive keep laptop hostage when in sleep mode

Discus and support Why would external drive keep laptop hostage when in sleep mode in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; There is one external drive which turn off to save energy but problem is when the drive is off some time I can not work/use laptop. Example: External... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Ari94, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Ari94 Win User

Why would external drive keep laptop hostage when in sleep mode

There is one external drive which turn off to save energy but problem is when the drive is off some time I can not work/use laptop.

Example: External drive is on, I am working on computer ok, when the external drive goes on sleep mode I could not use laptop unless external drive awake. When I say can not use laptop meaning, there is a hangout some time.

I do not know the technical things behind that behavior. I only know USB external drive sleep to save electricity energy. But question is why laptop hangs?

I shall be thankful if some share thoughts or enlighten me.

Thank you in advance.

:)

Ari94, Feb 24, 2021

2. External hard drives do not reconnect after Windows 10 laptop comes out of sleep mode

Thanks for getting back to me.

I checked Device Manager - all my drives were listed under Disk Drives. I also looked at what was listed under USB Controllers. Then I let my laptop go into sleep mode. I waited for about 3 minutes before waking it up again. I rechecked both Device Manager
    and USB Controllers and everything looked the same. However, when I went to File Explorer and tried to access my 2 WD MyBook external hard drives, I get a "Location is not available" alert box that says "H:\ (or I:\) is not accessible. Access is denied."
    I have a WD Passport drive that wasn't available either but I initiated the WD Unlocker utility and it opened up.

I turned the "sleep mode" option on the MyBook drives off several days ago since I didn't want them to go into sleep mode unless the laptop initiated it. I have both of these drives set to auto unlock when I log on to my laptop.

Thanks!

ASMarshall3, Feb 24, 2021
  3. Chadi Win User
    ASUS Laptop Won't Wake from Sleep Mode

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
    Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363
    System Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
    System Model UX490UAR
    System Type x64-based PC
    SMBIOS Version 3.0

Problem: about 80% of the time, my laptop won't wake up from sleep mode via keyboard press or mouse move/click. I seem to be missing many common features in power plan too, even after fresh Windows 10 install.

Troubleshooting Steps:

1. Reinstalled Windows 10 (clean)
    2. Updated all drivers
    3. Replicated on multiple Windows 10 versions, updates
    4. BIOS latest version
    5. No USB devices attached, ever. Only USB-C power and bluetooth mouse
    6. Disabled "fast startup" in control panel

Why would external drive keep laptop hostage when in sleep mode [​IMG]

Chadi, Feb 24, 2021
  4. Why would external drive keep laptop hostage when in sleep mode

Sleep mode

Hi Adam,

For us to better assist with your issue on sleep mode, we'd like to ask a few questions.

• Have you made any updates to your computer before experiencing this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest that you refer to this thread and follow the answer of Andre
    Da Costa to troubleshoot the issue with sleep mode missing.

You can also refer to this article that was
    created by Andre Da Costa to enable sleep mode.

Looking forward to you response.

Reymichael Ros, Feb 24, 2021
Thema:

Why would external drive keep laptop hostage when in sleep mode

1. Why would external drive keep laptop hostage when in sleep mode - Similar Threads - Why external drive

2. Laptop went to sleep mode while running chkdsk on an external hard. drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop went to sleep mode while running chkdsk on an external hard. drive.: Hi , my hard disk was recently unreadable by my laptop. It showed the D drive is not accessible error. I have checked online and was suggested to do chkdsk on the external hard drive. I have run the chkdsk using CMD with command chkdsk D: /f / r. At stage 4 the laptop went...
  3. Laptop went to sleep mode while running chkdsk on an external hard. drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop went to sleep mode while running chkdsk on an external hard. drive.: Hi , my hard disk was recently unreadable by my laptop. It showed the D drive is not accessible error. I have checked online and was suggested to do chkdsk on the external hard drive. I have run the chkdsk using CMD with command chkdsk D: /f / r. At stage 4 the laptop went...
  4. Why is A1B2C3 holding my laptop hostage?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Why is A1B2C3 holding my laptop hostage?: Hello! Happy Wednesday! I have been trying to login to my laptop but it says incorrect PIN several times, which I did not, and the challenge phrase A1B2C3. I try to type it in but only “bc” show up. There is no other option such as change password. I’ve tried everything I can...
  5. Why is A1B2C3 holding my laptop hostage?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is A1B2C3 holding my laptop hostage?: Hello! Happy Wednesday! I have been trying to login to my laptop but it says incorrect PIN several times, which I did not, and the challenge phrase A1B2C3. I try to type it in but only “bc” show up. There is no other option such as change password. I’ve tried everything I can...
  6. Why is A1B2C3 holding my laptop hostage?

7. Laptop would randomly enter sleep mode in use

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop would randomly enter sleep mode in use: Hello, recently I have encountered an issue regarding using Windows 10 on my laptop. As the title suggests, my laptop would enter sleep mode randomly, during work or gaming. I've searched everywhere. I've checked my power settings, and did all sorts of different solutions and...
  8. Laptop would randomly enter sleep mode in use

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop would randomly enter sleep mode in use: Hello, recently I have encountered an issue regarding using Windows 10 on my laptop. As the title suggests, my laptop would enter sleep mode randomly, during work or gaming. I've searched everywhere. I've checked my power settings, and did all sorts of different solutions and...
  9. Laptop would randomly enter sleep mode in use

10. External USB drive sleeps when idle

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External USB drive sleeps when idle: I have a independently-powered WD Elements 8TB external HDD connected via USB 3.0 to one of the ports on my ASRock Z170 motherboard. I'm running Win10 Pro v1903, and I've read that my issue isn't uncommon. While I've never sat down & timed it down to the minute, if the drive...