Windows 10: Why would NVIDIA Optimus activate only for Laptops and disable for PCs

Discus and support Why would NVIDIA Optimus activate only for Laptops and disable for PCs in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; For those who don't know Optimus is some sort of a technology NVIDIA developed in order for laptops to have the ability to switch between multiple GPUs... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by nIGHTmAYOR, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Why would NVIDIA Optimus activate only for Laptops and disable for PCs

For those who don't know Optimus is some sort of a technology NVIDIA developed in order for laptops to have the ability to switch between multiple GPUs integrated when needed .

They often claim that this approach is to save power and is not needed for PCs really as those do not run on batteries to need to save power (wondering about all people now shifting to led lights home just to save on bills) .

It is controversial however , it is known that there is a performance gain noticed on laptops with such setups as then Intel manage to lift the load of all desktop 2D/3D overlays and memory consumption (Yes the load persist even if in background) leaving the NVIDIA GPU and its memory all dedicated to 3D rendering .

Now what dazzles me is that you get same drivers for laptops and PCs from both Intel and NVIDIA and yet however those drivers manage to somehow detect weather the setup is a laptop or a PC in order to enable or disable Optimus technology .

So I'm just wondering how exactly the driver is able to tell if the setup in hand is a laptop or a PC for one thing , and weather there had been any trick or mean or a 3rd party tool to fool the technology into working on PCs and that's another .

P.S I did not tackle the issue from AMD perspective but i am sure they have similar technology to Optimus and approach to PCs handling .

:)

nIGHTmAYOR, Aug 23, 2019
  2. madman404 Win User

Can a specific driver update be disabled? (NVIDIA optimus driver issue)

My windows 10 laptop uses NVIDIA's optimus technology, and for it to work, the computer must be running a very specific Nvidia and Intel driver version provided by the OEM. Windows 10 has been updating my Intel driver despite all attempts to disable windows
    update and thus has been constantly breaking optimus and wasting my time on constant re-installs. I'd like to still receive security updates although I'm ready to stop if it means fixing my computer. Registry tweaks and stopping windows update in services
    have also failed. Is there something I can do?

madman404, Aug 23, 2019
  3. W1zzard Win User
    [GPU-Z Test Build] Fix for crash with NVIDIA Optimus

This build fixes crashes/hangs when using GPU-Z on a laptop with NVIDIA Optimus.

Known issue: PCI-Express version and speed will not be displayed while Optimus is active

W1zzard, Aug 23, 2019
  4. Why would NVIDIA Optimus activate only for Laptops and disable for PCs

Is it possible to check if the dedicated gpu is active or not + being monitored? (Nvidia Optimus)

I have a laptop (Msi GV62) with GTX 1050 graphics card and optimus system with it. And my question is, how can I check if optimus is active or not? If my dedicated graphics card is active in any way or not?

I found that I can have an icon in tray, that informs me if dedicated gpu is active or not. But I found that it is not 100% accurate and works with delay. E.g. TechPower GPU-Z uses dedicated graphics card by monitoring it, but icon in tray says that it doesn't run on my dedicated GPU. If I hit many many times refresh in GPU-Z then I can be lucky enough to see for a short moment in tray icon that dedicated gpu is active. But as I say, for a little period of time + doing massive refresh in GPU-Z. Although GPU-Z is constantly monitoring dedicated graphics card, it is active but tray icon says that it isn't

Another example is that Msi Afterburner when is running is making dedicated gpu active almost all time, it looks like ON, OFF, ON, OFF but tray icon doesn't show it, it says GPU is inactive and doesn't even list Msi Afterburner

This cause my dedicated GPU to stay activated and get a little little bit more hot overtime instead of being disabled and staying cold.

Let's say I don't know I have GPU-Z running and it monitors my gpu. How can I tell that there are applications that are monitoring my gpu and what apps they are?

In other words, how can I know what applications are currently monitoring my gpu?

Is there a way to list all programs that are currently monitoring my gpu? Just the way like seeing which apps are running on gpu

If it is possible to have absolutely knowledge of all applications that are currently using or monitoring the dedicated GPU...

This tray icon is: Determining which graphics card is used with NVIDIA Optimus

Krystian Walicki, Aug 23, 2019
Thema:

Why would NVIDIA Optimus activate only for Laptops and disable for PCs

1. Why would NVIDIA Optimus activate only for Laptops and disable for PCs - Similar Threads - Why NVIDIA Optimus

2. NVIDIA optimus trouble

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    NVIDIA optimus trouble: NVIDIA optimus forces the use of Intel GPUs in lightweight games such as Minecraft It forces my Minecraft to run at 30~40 FPS and not play properly. What I have tried- Reinstall Windows. Reinstall Intel & Nvidia GPU using DDU Reinstall Minecraft Nvidia control panel & windows...
  3. NVIDIA optimus trouble

in Windows 10 Gaming
    NVIDIA optimus trouble: NVIDIA optimus forces the use of Intel GPUs in lightweight games such as Minecraft It forces my Minecraft to run at 30~40 FPS and not play properly. What I have tried- Reinstall Windows. Reinstall Intel & Nvidia GPU using DDU Reinstall Minecraft Nvidia control panel & windows...
  4. NVIDIA optimus trouble

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Nvidia Optimus: integrated graphics + Nvidia GPU. How to use Nvidia GPU for everything. Do...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Nvidia Optimus: integrated graphics + Nvidia GPU. How to use Nvidia GPU for everything. Do...: Windows 10 Home 21H2 19044.1526, 64-bit Ten-year-old Dell XPS L502x laptop Intel HD Graphics 3000 Nvidia GeForce GT 525M Nvidia Optimus technology, switches between integrated graphics and Nvidia GPU On Nvidia site, final driver release for my card is "GeForce Game Ready...
  6. Is it possible to have nVIDIA Optimus in a desktop?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Is it possible to have nVIDIA Optimus in a desktop?: Hi, I have an msi Z390 motherboard and an i5-9600K, with the integrated iGPU Intel UHD 630. I am going to buy a GTX 2060, but it consumes way more power than the Intel iGPU, even for idling/browsing. I've had notebooks in the past and there was this thing called "nVIDIA...
  7. NVIDIA Optimus for Desktop PCs

NVIDIA Optimus for Desktop PCs: Hi I have an iGPU and dGPU in my desktop PC. I want to have the NVIDIA Optimus Configuration where the iGPU works for normal browsing and surfing tasks, and dGPU kicks in when doing GPU intensive tasks i.e. gaming, video editing, AI programs. I have plugged my display into...
  8. Star Wars: The Old Republic is not working with NVIDIA Optimus

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Star Wars: The Old Republic is not working with NVIDIA Optimus: I don't know if this is only for Windows 10, but I'll post it here, maybe someone knows a workaround. I installed Star Wars The Old Republic (the new MMORPG) and when I start it with my NVIDIA GeFore 610M card, it refuses to launch, no error message, process closes too. But...
  9. Nvidia Optimus & Adobe Acrobat

Nvidia Optimus & Adobe Acrobat: I have a dell precision 7710 laptop. It has a Quadro M5000M. In NVidia Control Panel I have adobe Acrobat DC to use the Quadro card, but on the task bar, the Quadro Activity icon does not show acrobat using the Quadro. If I run Adobe Photoshop or Lightroom, Photoshop...
  10. Windows 10 and Nvidia Optimus issue

Windows 10 and Nvidia Optimus issue: after upgrade to windows 10, did anyone notice that nvidia optimus is not working properly as it keep switching between discrete and integrated graphic even for some simple thing like open action center. this has cause graphic shuttering and lag for windows GUI. i can...