Windows 10: why would windows checkdisk delete files?

Discus and support why would windows checkdisk delete files? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello. I was using Veracrypt and Windows keeps persisting with checkdisk thinking where my container is located there is a problem. every startup it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by brad's, Mar 5, 2020.

1. brad's Win User

why would windows checkdisk delete files?

Hello. I was using Veracrypt and Windows keeps persisting with checkdisk thinking where my container is located there is a problem. every startup it attempts to check the affected drive but I always skip it. Recently I missed the skip and the container I had made with Veracrypt now reads 0kb. Anyone know what checkdisk does and how would one go about recovering a lost container?

:)

brad's, Mar 5, 2020
  2. MohanC Win User

windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Mar 5, 2020
  3. Anusha Win User
    C windows installer folder - Delete?

He can do symbolic link redirection and move the files in it to a different location. *Wink why would windows checkdisk delete files? ;)
    Better try it out in a virtual of first. Just a suggestion.

Like:
    First move everything in c:\windows\installer to d:\installercache
    Then delete c:\windows\installer folder
    Then type this in command mode as admin
    mklink /d c:\windows\installer d:\installercache

Removing those installer files is a bad idea. it might prevent you from updating or uninstalling apps.

Anusha, Mar 5, 2020
  4. Alden Rey Win User

deleting hard drive files

Hi,

May we know what type of file are you trying to delete? Would it be Office documents, media files, or picture files? If you're trying to delete files for free some space on your device. We suggest to perform a Disc Cleanup. Kindly follow the steps below to
    perform the task:

• Type in Cortana Disc Cleanup
    • Choose the files to delete
    • Click on "Clean up system files"
    • Click on Ok

For any concerns, don't hesitate to get back to us.

Regards.

Alden Rey, Mar 5, 2020
Thema:

1. why would windows checkdisk delete files? - Similar Threads - why checkdisk delete

2. Checkdisk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Checkdisk: My Dad's pc is stuck on checkdisk screen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/checkdisk/1f77efd3-0553-4a10-8877-05f388cbf12e
  3. Checkdisk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Checkdisk: My Dad's pc is stuck on checkdisk screen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/checkdisk/1f77efd3-0553-4a10-8877-05f388cbf12e
  4. Checkdisk

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Why would Windows 10 / VS 2019 DELETE a startup shortcut?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Why would Windows 10 / VS 2019 DELETE a startup shortcut?: I just updated VS 2019 to Version 16.10.0, and for some reason, it and/or Windows 10 decided to DELETE one of my startup shortcuts.I had the shortcut placed in C:\Users\my user\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup and after updating VS 2019, which...
  6. Why a file can not be deleted

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why a file can not be deleted: I converted images to a PDF file using third party software, unfortunately did not open in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC/ in a third party PDF viewer. Therefore, I decided to delete. Whenever I tried I got this message translation from Japanese. "Item not found This item was not...
  7. Why would deleting files from one drive backup delete the local files? I am devastated, I...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why would deleting files from one drive backup delete the local files? I am devastated, I...: All I was trying to do was backup a few files, however, one drive had other ideas. It kept getting in a sync loop, syncing all of the wrong files, and it never asked me to specify what files. So, I tried to pause the sync and change what folders specifically synced,...
  8. I would like to know why Windows is deleting my contacts

in Windows 10 Customization
    I would like to know why Windows is deleting my contacts: [ATTACH] Hi MS Support, Windows has been deleting my contacts for the past couple of days after the 2004 update. What should I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-would-like-to-know-why-windows-is-deleting-my/2730a9d5-8deb-4b14-bd59-654ff9d7f16e
  9. Checkdisk error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Checkdisk error: Hello, I noticed some corrupted files on my hard drive I cannot remove them so I decided to run chkdsk /p but I received an error saying that ifsutil.dll couldn't be found. I tried patching the dll by hand but it didn't work. What is the best way to reinstall this program?...
  10. Question about windows checkdisk

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Question about windows checkdisk: I need some clarification about windows checkdisk. I have been googling it a bit and it says that it scans and repairs logical file system errors. Does that mean physical errors on the drive, or does it mean file errors in the windows installation? P.S I see there...