Windows 10: Why would you create a back up image and restore rather?

Discus and support Why would you create a back up image and restore rather? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Sorry, but not enough space for a complete question in the title. After seeing another post with a person switching from an HDD to an SSD and a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Charliedog, Dec 25, 2018.

1. Why would you create a back up image and restore rather?

Sorry, but not enough space for a complete question in the title.

After seeing another post with a person switching from an HDD to an SSD and a couple of people suggesting creating a back up image and restoring from that rather than just cloning the HDD, why question is, Why would you want to do that?. What potential problems would there be with cloning?

I'm just curious, because I have cloned HDDs to SSDs in both desktops and laptops many times-generally using Samsung software-without any problems. What have I been missing?

TIA

:)

Charliedog, Dec 25, 2018
  2. topgundcp Win User

Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect

In addition to the above. Here's my suggestion in step by step.
    I assume you have Macrium Installed in your current HD and already made a backup copy.
    1. Connect your new HD via USB port and boot up.
    2. Run Macrium, click on Restore tab then select the Backup Image that you made to restore
    3. click on "select a different target disk" then select your new HD as destination

Why would you create a back up image and restore rather? [​IMG]
    4. Proceed to restore then Shutdown and disconnect the old HD and replace with the new HD
    5. Boot up with your new HD.

topgundcp, Dec 25, 2018
  3. Help, cant create windows image

Hello there, @fullinfusion!

It seems like some sort of an OS confusion has happened with your secondary WD Black and I'm sorry to hear about that. *Frown Why would you create a back up image and restore rather? :(
    Maybe re-formatting it would help indeed as the community already mentioned. I'd suggest to take a look at this step-by-step how to partition and format an HDD: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=PYCoid
    Keep in mind that this will wipe clean the drive, so you should backup all important data from the drive somewhere else.
    I noticed from the screenshots that your HDD appears as Disk 0, this means that it's plugged in the primary SATA port where the SSD (as an OS drive) should be. Actually it is possible that because of this Windows cannot create the image there. Swap the ports of the SSD and the HDD, this might help as well.

Keep me posted. Hope this helped! *Smile Why would you create a back up image and restore rather? :)
    SuperSoph_WD

SuperSoph_WD, Dec 25, 2018
  4. Why would you create a back up image and restore rather?

creating a restore point

Hi Anthony,

We understand that you're having an issue with creating a restore point. For us to further assist you, we'd like to gather additional information.

• Have you tried creating system restore point manually?
    • Have you tried any troubleshooting steps before posting this concern? If yes, what are those?

If you haven't created a system restore point manually, you can refer to the article below and follow the instructions given. Disable your antivirus or security software and then try to create a system restore point manually.

Create a system restore point

Looking forward to your response.

Reymichael Ros, Dec 25, 2018
Thema:

Why would you create a back up image and restore rather?

1. Why would you create a back up image and restore rather? - Similar Threads - Why create image

2. If I Uncheck 'Create an Image' in the Backup & Restore Tool, Would That Make It the Same as...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    If I Uncheck 'Create an Image' in the Backup & Restore Tool, Would That Make It the Same as...: Hi Microsoft friends. I have a 500GB internal drive with Windows 11 installed and 500GB USB external backup drive. If I uncheck 'Create an Image' in the Backup & Restore Tool, would that make it the same as File History both restore the program, you have to reininstall them...
  3. If I Uncheck 'Create an Image' in the Backup & Restore Tool, Would That Make It the Same as...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    If I Uncheck 'Create an Image' in the Backup & Restore Tool, Would That Make It the Same as...: Hi Microsoft friends. I have a 500GB internal drive with Windows 11 installed and 500GB USB external backup drive. If I uncheck 'Create an Image' in the Backup & Restore Tool, would that make it the same as File History both restore the program, you have to reininstall them...
  4. Would it be possible to create a system image of Windows 11 Pro and restore it on a new...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Would it be possible to create a system image of Windows 11 Pro and restore it on a new...: Hi, I have recently bought a new computer and would like to transfer all my configurations and installed files and programs to a new computer from my existing computer. But the operating systems are different versions. May someone who knows would it be possible to do this?...
  5. Would it be possible to create a system image of Windows 11 Pro and restore it on a new...

Would it be possible to create a system image of Windows 11 Pro and restore it on a new...: Hi, I have recently bought a new computer and would like to transfer all my configurations and installed files and programs to a new computer from my existing computer. But the operating systems are different versions. May someone who knows would it be possible to do this?...
  6. Why can't I create a system image or back up?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why can't I create a system image or back up?: I'm trying to back up my files and make a system image. Everytime I try it says back completed but some files are missing. When I try to make the system image it comes up and says failed because user cancelled. Any insight as to why this is happening would be appreciated....
  7. Why can't I create a system image or back up?

Why can't I create a system image or back up?: I'm trying to back up my files and make a system image. Everytime I try it says back completed but some files are missing. When I try to make the system image it comes up and says failed because user cancelled. Any insight as to why this is happening would be appreciated....
  8. Creating a system back up ISO image to USB

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Creating a system back up ISO image to USB: I've just done a fresh W10 install. I'd like to create an ISO that I can use rufus (or similar/better?) to create a bootable image from USB that I can install Windows that includes all of my essential drivers and programs already installed. Is this possible? What's the best...
  9. Why would you create a back up image and restore rather?

Why would you create a back up image and restore rather?: Sorry, but not enough space for a complete question in the title. After seeing another post with a person switching from an HDD to an SSD and a couple of people suggesting creating a back up image and restoring from that rather than just cloning the HDD, why question is,...
  10. Why does back up process get stuck at 97%, creating system image?

Why does back up process get stuck at 97%, creating system image?: Why does back up process get stuck at 97%, creating system image? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/back-up/3f8c4550-aa17-44aa-8898-a3b377dc07e6