Windows 10: Why would you create a back up image and restore rather?

Discus and support Why would you create a back up image and restore rather? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Sorry, but not enough space for a complete question in the title. After seeing another post with a person switching from an HDD to an SSD and a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Charliedog, Dec 25, 2018.

1. Why would you create a back up image and restore rather?

Sorry, but not enough space for a complete question in the title.

After seeing another post with a person switching from an HDD to an SSD and a couple of people suggesting creating a back up image and restoring from that rather than just cloning the HDD, why question is, Why would you want to do that?. What potential problems would there be with cloning?

I'm just curious, because I have cloned HDDs to SSDs in both desktops and laptops many times-generally using Samsung software-without any problems. What have I been missing?

TIA

:)

Charliedog, Dec 25, 2018
  2. topgundcp Win User

Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect

In addition to the above. Here's my suggestion in step by step.
    I assume you have Macrium Installed in your current HD and already made a backup copy.
    1. Connect your new HD via USB port and boot up.
    2. Run Macrium, click on Restore tab then select the Backup Image that you made to restore
    3. click on "select a different target disk" then select your new HD as destination

Why would you create a back up image and restore rather? [​IMG]
    4. Proceed to restore then Shutdown and disconnect the old HD and replace with the new HD
    5. Boot up with your new HD.

topgundcp, Dec 25, 2018
  3. Help, cant create windows image

Hello there, @fullinfusion!

It seems like some sort of an OS confusion has happened with your secondary WD Black and I'm sorry to hear about that. *Frown Why would you create a back up image and restore rather? :(
    Maybe re-formatting it would help indeed as the community already mentioned. I'd suggest to take a look at this step-by-step how to partition and format an HDD: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=PYCoid
    Keep in mind that this will wipe clean the drive, so you should backup all important data from the drive somewhere else.
    I noticed from the screenshots that your HDD appears as Disk 0, this means that it's plugged in the primary SATA port where the SSD (as an OS drive) should be. Actually it is possible that because of this Windows cannot create the image there. Swap the ports of the SSD and the HDD, this might help as well.

Keep me posted. Hope this helped! *Smile Why would you create a back up image and restore rather? :)
    SuperSoph_WD

SuperSoph_WD, Dec 25, 2018
  4. Why would you create a back up image and restore rather?

creating a restore point

Hi Anthony,

We understand that you're having an issue with creating a restore point. For us to further assist you, we'd like to gather additional information.

• Have you tried creating system restore point manually?
    • Have you tried any troubleshooting steps before posting this concern? If yes, what are those?

If you haven't created a system restore point manually, you can refer to the article below and follow the instructions given. Disable your antivirus or security software and then try to create a system restore point manually.

Create a system restore point

Looking forward to your response.

Reymichael Ros, Dec 25, 2018
Thema:

Why would you create a back up image and restore rather?

1. Why would you create a back up image and restore rather? - Similar Threads - Why create image

2. Create User folder image and restore it

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Create User folder image and restore it: I'm looking for a way to use DISM to create a backup of the User folder and be able to reapply that image back to the drive when needed. I have an image created but I can't get it to apply. I've used the instructions here to move the User folders to a non-SSD drive and would...
  3. Creating a system back up ISO image to USB

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Creating a system back up ISO image to USB: I've just done a fresh W10 install. I'd like to create an ISO that I can use rufus (or similar/better?) to create a bootable image from USB that I can install Windows that includes all of my essential drivers and programs already installed. Is this possible? What's the best...
  4. Why would you create a back up image and restore rather?

Why would you create a back up image and restore rather?: Sorry, but not enough space for a complete question in the title. After seeing another post with a person switching from an HDD to an SSD and a couple of people suggesting creating a back up image and restoring from that rather than just cloning the HDD, why question is,...
  5. Create / restore disk image in windows7

in Windows 10 Customization
    Create / restore disk image in windows7: I have an issue when i was trying to restore a previous disk image mage by windows 10 os. As i have a dual booted partition on my 240gb ssd drive with the other one being Windows 7 os. I was expecting the other one being restored as well. Instead i got a blank partition where...
  6. Why does back up process get stuck at 97%, creating system image?

Why does back up process get stuck at 97%, creating system image?: Why does back up process get stuck at 97%, creating system image? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/back-up/3f8c4550-aa17-44aa-8898-a3b377dc07e6
  7. Back up and Restore

Back up and Restore: Win 10 Pro 64bit. Ever since I updated. Feature update to Windows 10, version 1809, I cannot back up Computer. I get Error Code 0x80070013 Local Disk (E). I have 3-computers and get the same error code. Thanks...
  8. Back up and Restore

Back up and Restore: Win 10 Pro 64bit. Ever since I updated. Feature update to Windows 10, version 1809, I cannot back up Computer. I get Error Code 0x80070013 Local Disk (E). I have 3-computers and get the same error code. Thanks...
  9. Back up and restore

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Back up and restore: Why does my windows 10 home have windows 7 backup and restore? It's a new machine and it came with windows 10. Does anyone know? 111055
  10. Which of these towers would you get and why?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Which of these towers would you get and why?: I'm looking to replace my current PC with a two-monitor setup for a new tower with a three-monitor setup. I'm not an expert in this area and would love some feedback on which would be best for my needs. I'm self-employed and the bulk of my work is done in Outlook, Excel...