Windows 10: Wi-fi Adapter not working

Discus and support Wi-fi Adapter not working in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; When I log into my computer in the task bar there is a red circle with a white x next to the wi-fi icon. When I click on Network and Internet settings... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by nkeizer71131, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Wi-fi Adapter not working

When I log into my computer in the task bar there is a red circle with a white x next to the wi-fi icon. When I click on Network and Internet settings under status it says not connected. To the left I can click on wi-fi and then press the switch to turn the wi-fi back on, but this does not change anything. Under the Airplane mode tab I can switch airplane mode on and off but nothing changes. Also under airplane mode the switch to turn wi-fi on and off is greyed out. I have toggled the adapter using the fn f2 button but this does not change anything. The computer is a dell inspiron 15r 5537 running windows 10 - this just happened out of the blue. There is no other hard button to turn wifi on and off - but from everything I have done and read it seems like the wifi adapter is stuck off. I have disable and enabled the network device numerous times. The device is Inter(R) Wireless-N 7260. When I run the windows network diagnostic it tells me to turn on the wireless capability - but this is the problem nothing I do will do that. The final verdict is that the wireless capability is turned off. Please help!

:)

nkeizer71131, Mar 26, 2019
  2. Norton Win User

USB Wi-Fi Adapter Disabling

Is it on Windows 8's compatibility list (check MS website- forgot link)?

I had an issue with one Wi-fi adapter and it wasn't listed as compatible- All was well when I swapped it out with one on the compatibility list

Norton, Mar 26, 2019
  3. Arun B J Win User
    Wi-fi adapter doesn't work after upgrading to Windows 10.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

• What exactly happens when you try to connect to Wi-Fi?

• Have you updated all the Wi-Fi drivers?
    You may follow the steps provided below and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Method 1: Run Internet Connection Troubleshooter.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with Internet connection. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the
    issue is with your internet.

Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.
    • Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.
    • Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.
    • Run the Internet Connection troubleshooter.
    Method 2: Download and install the latest firmware updates for the Wi-Fi adapter.

Follow these steps to un-install the drivers:

• On the search bar type “Device Manager”

• On the left pane locate “Network Adapter” and expand by clicking on it

• Right on the “Wireless adapter” option and click “Uninstall’

• Download the latest Wireless network adapter driver setup file from the manufacturer’s website and install it.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, Mar 26, 2019
  4. Wi-fi Adapter not working

Wi-Fi virtual adapter

I am unable to create a wi-fi hotspot on my laptop (HP pavillion ab-032tx model) after upgrading to windows 10. I cannot find Microsoft WI-Fi direct Virtual adapter in the listed adapters (control pannel->network sharing center) . However Microsoft Wi-Fi
    direct Virtual adapter and Microsoft Wi-Fi direct Virtual adapter #2 are listed in hidden drivers (device manager-> view tab, faded icons). Upon checking for hardware changes, there are no unkown devices being shown. Microsoft Wi-Fi direct Virtual adapter
    #3 is also found in the view tab , but its icon is not faded. All my drivers are updated. Still i am unable to create a hotspot. Pl help me with the same.

Revati Joshi, Mar 26, 2019
Thema:

Wi-fi Adapter not working

1. Wi-fi Adapter not working - Similar Threads - Adapter working

2. Nighthawk Netgear USB wifi adapter works, BUT the extension cord malfunctions and isn't...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Nighthawk Netgear USB wifi adapter works, BUT the extension cord malfunctions and isn't...: I just purchased this Nighthwak AXE3000 wifi usb adapter with usb 3.0 adaptability.The adapter works when plugged in to usb 2,0 and 3.0. It DOES NOT work when the extension cord is used via 3.0. The adapater on the extension cord, just becomes unrecognizable due to supposed...
  3. Nighthawk Netgear USB wifi adapter works, BUT the extension cord malfunctions and isn't...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Nighthawk Netgear USB wifi adapter works, BUT the extension cord malfunctions and isn't...: I just purchased this Nighthwak AXE3000 wifi usb adapter with usb 3.0 adaptability.The adapter works when plugged in to usb 2,0 and 3.0. It DOES NOT work when the extension cord is used via 3.0. The adapater on the extension cord, just becomes unrecognizable due to supposed...
  4. Nighthawk Netgear USB wifi adapter works, BUT the extension cord malfunctions and isn't...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Netsys 9000wn usb adapter - not working in windows 11.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Netsys 9000wn usb adapter - not working in windows 11.: Netsys 9000wn usb adapter - not working in windows 11. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/netsys-9000wn-usb-adapter-not-working-in-windows/3b9b9279-3128-4c30-9a42-69151b1bfab5
  6. Netsys 9000wn usb adapter - not working in windows 11.

Netsys 9000wn usb adapter - not working in windows 11.: Netsys 9000wn usb adapter - not working in windows 11. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/netsys-9000wn-usb-adapter-not-working-in-windows/3b9b9279-3128-4c30-9a42-69151b1bfab5
  7. My network adapter won't connect wirelessly to internet, but works when wired in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My network adapter won't connect wirelessly to internet, but works when wired in: My network adapter won't connect wirelessly to internet, but works when wired in https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-network-adapter-wont-connect-wirelessly-to/7e9481b8-aeeb-4b93-bfef-2838e20cd0bf
  8. My network adapter won't connect wirelessly to internet, but works when wired in

My network adapter won't connect wirelessly to internet, but works when wired in: My network adapter won't connect wirelessly to internet, but works when wired in https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-network-adapter-wont-connect-wirelessly-to/7e9481b8-aeeb-4b93-bfef-2838e20cd0bf
  9. Ethernet adapters on Windows 11 have stopped working properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ethernet adapters on Windows 11 have stopped working properly: Very strange issue, on a relatively new desktop PC with built in gb ethernet adapter Intel motherboard and built in Wifi adapter, the network/internet connections speeds are drastically different, the ethernet is unuseable. GB internet and home network connections in home,...
  10. Ethernet adapters on Windows 11 have stopped working properly

Ethernet adapters on Windows 11 have stopped working properly: Very strange issue, on a relatively new desktop PC with built in gb ethernet adapter Intel motherboard and built in Wifi adapter, the network/internet connections speeds are drastically different, the ethernet is unuseable. GB internet and home network connections in home,...