Windows 10: Wi-Fi and Ethernet together

Discus and support Wi-Fi and Ethernet together in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Trying to increase downland speeds.Currently just using Wi-Fi. 1, Will combining the two methods help and will it work? 2. What settings need to be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by miata54, Jul 18, 2020.

1. miata54 Win User

Wi-Fi and Ethernet together

Trying to increase downland speeds.Currently just using Wi-Fi.

1, Will combining the two methods help and will it work?
    2. What settings need to be changed in my Wi-Fi router ? (TP-Link)
    3. Win 10 Home
    4. Am I wasting my time considering this?

My provider is Spectrum.

Thanks

:)

miata54, Jul 18, 2020
  2. Dumazi Win User

Wi-Fi, Ethernet, WinAudio fail to start on boot

I posted this on the Microsoft Community Help board and got little to no attention from the support engineers. Hopefully someone here can help.

I am having a recent problem with Windows 10. I have been running Windows 10 Home Edition from an on-line upgrade on my Lenovo Y510P for months with no issues. About a week ago, I started noticing that after a restart, my system tray icons for Audio and Network (either Wi-Fi or Ethernet) would start out fine but about half-way through the start up process would become marked with a red X or a warning yellow triangle with an exclamation point.

The Audio can be restarted either by running the trouble shooter or turning on the WinAudio service. The Ethernet actually works just fine but the yellow triangle warning icon persists and claims to either be constantly identifying the network or displays that the connection is unknown. Running the trouble shooter finds no problems. The Wi-Fi system tray icon appears with it's obligatory warning triangle and the Wi-Fi will connect to a known network if in range, but there is no Wi-Fi Icon in the Action Center, and no Wi-Fi entry in the Network & Internet Settings list either.

If you list the adapters in Network Connections, the Wi-Fi does appear and you can access the properties for the adapter, but if you try to select connect/disconnect from the context sensitive menu, it does not open a list of locally available networks, instead you are taken back to the All Settings Screen. Likewise if you run the trouble shooter on the Wi-Fi adapter when away from a known local Wi-Fi network, the troubleshooter tells you to pick a network from a list. When you click on the link, you are not taken to a list of networks, but rather back to the All Settings screen.

I have updated the drivers for the audio and both network adapters, The device manager claims all devices are operating appropriately. Malwarebytes reveals nothing.

I suspected the problem might be related shared service dependencies, but the problem persists through a clean boot in which both services and start-up items were tested. Neither a system scan nor a DISM repair revealed any corrupt system files.

I did notice that if I click on the "connect to the internet" icon on the log in screen, I do get a list of the dozen or so available Wi-Fi networks in my immediate vicinity. I can not see that list anywhere once I log into Windows 10 proper.

I created installation media (burned the Win 10 .ISO to a DVD) and performed a reinstall of Windows 10 which allowed me to keep my installed apps. I'm guessing both this and the basic system refresh maintain many settings and registry entries that are likely the source of my problem. Reinstalling Windows 10 did not resolve my issues.

I'm at a loss. Any suggestions?

Dumazi, Jul 18, 2020
  3. Trouble Changing Wi-Fi Password

I've been following the following steps to change my Wi-Fi password for some time:

1. Launch Control Panel.
    2. Click "Network and Internet."
    3. Click "Network and Sharing Center."
    4. Click "Wi-Fi...."
    5. Click "Wireless Properties."
    6. Click the Security tab.
    7. Check "Show characters."
    8. Enter the password in "Network security key."
    Those steps have been working just fine, but today I discovered a new wrinkle. If I change the password inside the router first, "Wi-Fi..." doesn't appear in step 4. This isn't much of a problem at home, because I can just change the password in Control Panel before I change it inside the router, but it would be a problem at a public hotspot, or something of that nature. I also tested Brink's instructions in "How to Connect To a Wireless Network in Windows 10," but they don't work for me either. How can I fix this?

gregyurkon, Jul 18, 2020
  4. Wi-Fi and Ethernet together

Wi-Fi, Ethernet, WinAudio fail to start

I am having a recent problem with Windows 10. I have been running Windows 10 Home Edition from an on-line upgrade on my Lenovo Y510P for months with no issues. About a week ago, I started noticing that after a restart, my system tray icons for Audio and
    Network (either Wi-Fi or Ethernet) would start out fine but about half-way through the start up process would become marked with a red X or a warning yellow triangle with an exclamation point.

The Audio can be restarted either by running the trouble shooter or turning on the WinAudio service. The Ethernet actually works just fine but the yellow triangle warning icon persists and claims to either be constantly identifying the network or displays
    that the connection is unknown. Running the trouble shooter finds no problems. The Wi-Fi system tray icon appears with it's obligatory warning triangle and the Wi-Fi will connect to a known network if in range, but there is no Wi-Fi Icon in the Action Center,
    and no Wi-Fi entry in the Network & Internet Settings list either.

If you list the adapters in Network Connections, the Wi-Fi does appear and you can access the properties for the adapter, but if you try to select connect/disconnect from the context sensitive menu, it does not open a list of locally available networks,
    instead you are taken back to the All Settings Screen. Likewise if you run the trouble shooter on the Wi-Fi adapter when away from a known local Wi-Fi network, the troubleshooter tells you to pick a network from a list. When you click on the link, you are
    not taken to a list of networks, but rather back to the All Settings screen.

I have updated the drivers for the audio and both network adapters, The device manager claims all devices are operating appropriately. Malwarebytes reveals nothing.

I suspected the problem might be related shared service dependencies, but the problem persists through a clean boot in which both services and start-up items were tested. Neither a system scan nor a DISM repair revealed any corrupt system files.

I'm at a loss. Any suggestions?

JohnEconomides, Jul 18, 2020
Thema:

Wi-Fi and Ethernet together

1. Wi-Fi and Ethernet together - Similar Threads - Ethernet together

2. Ethernet connection problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ethernet connection problem: My PC with Win11 has a problem with the ethernet connection. I checked the ethernet I connected but no internet access as you can see in the screenshot. How can I sort it out?...
  3. Ethernet connection problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ethernet connection problem: My PC with Win11 has a problem with the ethernet connection. I checked the ethernet I connected but no internet access as you can see in the screenshot. How can I sort it out?...
  4. My Ethernet shows it doesnt have a valid IP configuration

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Ethernet shows it doesnt have a valid IP configuration: My PC was working fine the previous night but was suddenly showing this error when i boot it up. At first it was both the WIFI and LAN cable but after restarting the WIFI works fine. The LAN side is still showing problemsI have restarted the router, typed the CMD commands but...
  5. My Ethernet shows it doesnt have a valid IP configuration

My Ethernet shows it doesnt have a valid IP configuration: My PC was working fine the previous night but was suddenly showing this error when i boot it up. At first it was both the WIFI and LAN cable but after restarting the WIFI works fine. The LAN side is still showing problemsI have restarted the router, typed the CMD commands but...
  6. My Ethernet shows it doesnt have a valid IP configuration

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Unable to connect to Ethernet and activate driver

Unable to connect to Ethernet and activate driver: I am unable to connect to my ethernet despite the cabel being plugged in. The adapter shows in device manager yet in the Network Connections window nothing is there. I have tried network reset, command prompts and other items yet nothing seems to bring back my adapter so I...
  8. Unable to connect to Ethernet and activate driver

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to connect to Ethernet and activate driver: I am unable to connect to my ethernet despite the cabel being plugged in. The adapter shows in device manager yet in the Network Connections window nothing is there. I have tried network reset, command prompts and other items yet nothing seems to bring back my adapter so I...
  9. red X on WiFi and Ethernet. All together with Bluetooth can't function, and enabling and...

red X on WiFi and Ethernet. All together with Bluetooth can't function, and enabling and...: Hallo. My computer; dell inspiron 5559 is run by Windows 10. So, 2 days ago abruptly Bluetooth, WiFi and Ethernet cable couldn’t be connected. I tried like every trick I can find on internet. Wi-Fi can’t be turned on manually, enabling and disabling connectors can’t be of any...
  10. WiFi and ethernet together

WiFi and ethernet together: I was wondering if it's possible to utilize both WiFi and ethernet in tandem. I'm pretty sure some of you are going to tell me that I can only access the internet through one of these, up to my bandwidth limit, but that's not what I mean. I'd like to access the internet...