Windows 10: Wi-Fi Connection Crawling

Discus and support Wi-Fi Connection Crawling in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am stumped and hoping for help. I had Vista on an old laptop. It ran fine for years and the Internet speeds were as expected for an 802.11g... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Ivan Ho, Apr 19, 2020.

  1. Ivan Ho Win User

    Wi-Fi Connection Crawling


    I am stumped and hoping for help. I had Vista on an old laptop. It ran fine for years and the Internet speeds were as expected for an 802.11g connection (~45-55 Mbps download). I have made no router changes in 5 years and my other devices run as expected (another Win 10 laptop, Roku, Amazon Firestick, NAS, etc.). No other device has connection or speed issues.

    Well, I needed to install some software on the Vista laptop because it is the only machine I have w/ a BluRay/DVD player. Vista is not supported for the new software.

    So, I formatted and installed Windows 10. The install went well and the Windows updates, while slow, completed w/o failures. All NIC drivers are updated and current (according to Win 10). Other than installing Chrome and turning off unnecessary services, I have made no other customizations, yet. I installed offline w/ all privacy settings turned off (e.g., location, cortana, voice recognition, etc.).

    After it finished updating, noticing how slow the Windows updates were, I tested the bandwidth speed on speakeasy.net and 5 or 6 other bandwidth speed sites (e.g., speedtest.frontier.com, speedof.me, etc.). All report about the same download speed: 4-6 Mbps!!! The upload speed for each is consistently 5-6 Mbps. My ISP connection is 100 Mbps download and 6 Mbps upload. So, the download speed is 16-25x slower than the ISP speed and 9-13x slower than the 802.11g rated speed of 54Mbps. It is also slower than the upload speed.

    For the past 4 hours, I have exhaustively tried every forum "solution" to speed
    up the connection, all to no avail.

    • Most of what I tried can be found here (pardon the expletive in the title--not my site): 10 Shit-Easy Ways to Fix Slow Internet on Windows 10 - Saint None of these worked for me.
    • I downloaded and ran TCPOptimizer (SpeedGuide.net :: TCP Optimizer / Downloads), also to no avail.
    • I also disabled non-essential Windows services (too many to list) like AllJoyn, Bluetooth, etc. Smartbyte was not installed (saw that in a lot of places, including this forum).
    • I also reset winsock and ipv4 and ipv6 connections. No dice, either.

    I cannot remember everything else I tried (again, I spent > 4 hours on this); but if it is anywhere in the first 7-8 DuckDuckGo pages, I tried it. A lot of the "solutions" did not apply to me (like the lack of Smartbyte or the NIC option of 20/40 Auto). I have NOT tried a hardwire connection to the router because I have never LAN connected this laptop to the router before and wouldn't have a baseline. Besides, it is not the NIC that is crawling and not how I would normally use it. If testing this provides any troubleshooting benefit at all, I can; but haven't done it, yet.

    I cannot figure out how/why this laptop suddenly dropped to 10% of the speed I was getting with Vista.

    Any help would be appreciated.



    Here are the network hardware details and settings:

    Code:
    :)
     
    Ivan Ho, Apr 19, 2020
    #1
  2. johnny234 Win User

    Windows 10 stop automatically connecting to random new wi-fi networks

    Hi,

    I have searched a lot, but all the tutorials I found only explained how to not connect automatically to a known wi-fi network or how to disable wi-fi sense... but this is not what I am looking for...

    PROBLEM:

    • When my laptop (Windows 10 Pro X64) is not connected to a network and the wireless adapter is on, it will automatically connect to any random new unsecured wi-fi network... The only way I have now to avoid this is to disable my wi-fi adapter.

    UNUSEFUL TUTORIALS I FOUND ON THE INTERNET:

    • How to manually uncheck the option for a particular wi-fi network not to connect automatically in Network Properties. This is not what I am looking for. This would suggest that everytime I power my computer. I would have to manually go through all the available wi-fi networks and unclick them all...
    • How to disable Wi-Fi Sense. This is not useful, because I don't even have a Wi-Fi sense option in my computer where the tutorials say it should be.

    EXPECTED BEHAVIOR:

    • I am looking for an option to tell my computer to stop connecting randomly to unknown wi-fi networks like an hyperactive, reckless idiot.

    PERSONAL COMMENT:

    • Honestly, why would any respectable company think that it could be somewhat wise or secure to do this... Anyone's computer could just randomly connect to any hacker's wi-fi network without the user even knowing it...

    Any solutions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
     
    johnny234, Apr 19, 2020
    #2
  3. allant51 Win User
    wi fi connection

    After windows 1903 update I don't have any wi fi connection or icon showing and have tried many suggestions on how to get it, but none have worked.

    Can you provide a step by step instruction on how to get wi fi icon and network.
     
    allant51, Apr 19, 2020
    #3
  4. Junaid_A Win User

    Wi-Fi Connection Crawling

    Wi-Fi issue: Limited connectivity

    Hi Scot,



    Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forum.



    I suggest you to run the in-built troubleshooter for Internet connections.

    • Open 'Settings' and click on 'Update and security'.
    • On the left pane, select 'Troubleshoot' and run the troubleshooter for 'Internet Connections'.


    You may also try the troubleshooting steps listed in the articles listed below and check if it works:

    Hope it helps.
     
    Junaid_A, Apr 19, 2020
    #4
Thema:

Wi-Fi Connection Crawling

Loading...
  1. Wi-Fi Connection Crawling - Similar Threads - Connection Crawling

  2. Microsoft Confirms September Windows 11 Updates Break Always On VPN Connections

    in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Confirms September Windows 11 Updates Break Always On VPN Connections: Microsoft has confirmed that the security updates for Windows 11 which are scheduled for September 2026 may cause Always On VPN connections to fail, leaving the affected devices unable to access corporate networks. The company mentioned the issue in a Windows release health...
  3. Unable to connect to localhost MySQL workbench

    in Windows 10 News
    Unable to connect to localhost MySQL workbench: [ATTACH]MySQL Workbench may sometimes fail to connect to a MySQL Server running on your Windows PC. You may see errors such as Unable to connect to localhost, Can’t connect to MySQL server on ‘localhost’, or Error 10061: No connection could be made because the target machine...
  4. Windows 11 Is Developing a Battery Widget Showing Connected Device Levels on the Lock...

    in Windows 10 News
    Windows 11 Is Developing a Battery Widget Showing Connected Device Levels on the Lock...: Microsoft is creating a battery status widget for Windows 11, which will display the battery levels of the PC as well as those of wireless peripherals that are connected. References to the widget were first spotted in the most recent Windows 11 preview builds, but it does...
  5. Unable to connect to API (ConnectionRefused) Claude error

    in Windows 10 News
    Unable to connect to API (ConnectionRefused) Claude error: [ATTACH]If you are receiving the error message “Unable to connect to API (ConnectionRefused)” when trying to use Claude Code on your Windows 11/10 PC, this post will help you fix the issue. A few users have reported that Claude Code repeatedly displays this message when they...
  6. Cannot connect to the Internet after Reset on Windows 11

    in Windows 10 News
    Cannot connect to the Internet after Reset on Windows 11: [ATTACH]Resetting a PC gives us a chance to wipe it clean to factory settings by removing everything, or to remove apps and settings to fix issues. When errors are not fixable, or when we want to improve a PC’s performance by removing everything and reinstalling the necessary...
  7. VMware Workstation unable to connect to its ideal host controller

    in Windows 10 News
    VMware Workstation unable to connect to its ideal host controller: [ATTACH]If you are seeing VMware Workstation unable to connect to its ideal host controller, the problem is usually related to USB passthrough or the VMware USB controller inside the virtual machine. This error often appears when VMware cannot claim the USB device cleanly...
  8. WSL Localhost connection refused on Windows computer [Fix]

    in Windows 10 News
    WSL Localhost connection refused on Windows computer [Fix]: [IMG]If you get a Connection refused error while trying to access a service running in Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) through localhost, the service is either not listening correctly or Windows cannot forward the connection to WSL. The issue can also occur due to incorrect...
  9. Hyper-V failed to connect to local computer

    in Windows 10 News
    Hyper-V failed to connect to local computer: [ATTACH]If Hyper-V Manager fails to connect to the local computer, you will usually see this error followed by a second line that reads Hyper-V encountered an error trying to access an object on computer because the object was not found. This points to a problem with the...
  10. My PC is slowing my WiFi connection to a crawl for every device in the network

    in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My PC is slowing my WiFi connection to a crawl for every device in the network: Hi there! My computer is slowing the internet connection for EVERYONE, here's the story: My internet is around 30 mbps yes, I know it's slow, believe it or not it's rather enough for me and works fine throughout my house with speeds in the range of 15-25 mbps in most...