Windows 10: WI-FI hotspot issue

Discus and support WI-FI hotspot issue in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi!When my laptop is connected to the internet via a LAN cable and sharing it through a hotspot, the connection through the hotspot is terribly weak,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ZsomborH, May 5, 2021.

1. ZsomborH Win User

WI-FI hotspot issue

Hi!When my laptop is connected to the internet via a LAN cable and sharing it through a hotspot, the connection through the hotspot is terribly weak, while my laptop has a relatively strong connection. This is not an issue with my mobile as other devices connected to my laptop have the same issue. I tried updating my network drivers but I have the latest version of each of them. Do you have any idea what might cause the problem?Thanks!

:)

ZsomborH, May 5, 2021

2. The Microsoft (Hotspot) wi-fi direct virtual adapter is blocking FTP

Hi Support,

I have encountered an unexpected problem when using the Windows 10 Hotspot feature. When I connect to the hotspot using another Win 10 system everything works as normal except it blocks the FTP protocol.

I have an application that connects to a website using FTP, it has run with no problems for 5+ years. I now have a situation where I am using a Win 10 laptop to boost the signal of a wi-fi router in another building. It is located to get the best signal and it works fine, it broadcasts a strong signal allowing other devices to use it.

However, when connecting to the Win 10 Hotspot the FTP protocol is blocked, everything else runs as normal
    I have confirmed:

• I can FTP as normal if I connect to the same router as the Win 10 system that is step up with the hotspot.
    • If I connect to the Win 10 hotspot FTP is blocked.

This is the first time I've used the hotspot feature in Win 10, I really like it and it's ideal for my situation but the FTP problem limits how much I can use it.

All other protocols work as normal, it's as if a rule somewhere is set to block FTP if passing through the Microsoft (Hotspot) wi-fi direct virtual adapter.

See attached images for the status of the hotspot adapters, they both have the following settings.

IPv4Connectvity: Internet
    IPv6Connectvity: No network access

I can FTP from the system with the hotspot setup using the built-in wi-fi adapter with no problems, it's only when I connect via the hotspot that FTP gets blocked.

I've tried a few things to change the IPv6Connectvity but no success so far. Also, if this was the problem why only block FTP and allow all other protocols and why does the built-in wi-fi adapter allow FTP as normal yet it displays IPv6Connectvity: No network access?

It's easy to try and reproduce this condition, all you need is two Win 10 systems and an FTP account on the web.

• Setup Laptop1 to connect to Router1 and also set up a hotspot called Hotspot1.
    • On Laptop2 connect to Router1 and use the command-line FTP client to log in to your FTP server.
    • There should be no problems doing this.
    • Next on Laptop2 connect to Hotspot1 and try to log in again to your FTP account.

If this fails then you will have reproduced the same failure.

Note:

• I am using ACER Win 10 laptops that are fully updated.
    • All the ACER laptops use the built-in Windows Firewall and Security Centre.
    • When connecting to the Hotspot both Outlook and OneDrive detect it as a metered connection and prompt you to confirm you wish to still connect. When you confirm you still want to connect everything runs as normal.
    • This problem occurs at two different locations that use different laptops, routers, and broadband provider (UK: EE & Virgin)

I have not been able to try this on a non-ACER laptop so that would be useful to do but my testing so far has isolated the problem to only when connecting via the Hotspot.

So, in summary.

• When connecting to a Windows 10 Hotspot all other applications run as normal except for FTP.
    • I have confirmed this on separate laptops (though they are all ACER) and two different routers and broadband providers at different locations.

It would be great if someone could test this on non-ACER laptops and another broadband provider. If the problem is present then it would suggest this issue is widespread but I've not been able to find anyone else who's experienced this problem.
    thanks,Phill.

WI-FI hotspot issue [​IMG]

thedaxdaytrader, May 5, 2021
  3. Trouble Changing Wi-Fi Password

I've been following the following steps to change my Wi-Fi password for some time:

1. Launch Control Panel.
    2. Click "Network and Internet."
    3. Click "Network and Sharing Center."
    4. Click "Wi-Fi...."
    5. Click "Wireless Properties."
    6. Click the Security tab.
    7. Check "Show characters."
    8. Enter the password in "Network security key."
    Those steps have been working just fine, but today I discovered a new wrinkle. If I change the password inside the router first, "Wi-Fi..." doesn't appear in step 4. This isn't much of a problem at home, because I can just change the password in Control Panel before I change it inside the router, but it would be a problem at a public hotspot, or something of that nature. I also tested Brink's instructions in "How to Connect To a Wireless Network in Windows 10," but they don't work for me either. How can I fix this?

gregyurkon, May 5, 2021
  4. Gino Des Win User

WI-FI hotspot issue

Hotspot 2.0 Wi-Fi networks

Hi Eric,

Hotspot 2.0 networks are a new wireless standard designed to make it easier and more secure to connect to public Wi-Fi hotspots. As you move around different locations and if this feature is enabled, your device will connect you to available public hotspots
    automatically. These hotspots are also more secure since encryption is mandatory.

For more information, you may refer to the following link: Sign
    up and connect to Hotspot 2.0 networks in Windows 10 Mobile

If you’re having problems getting connected to a Wi‑Fi network on your mobile device, we suggest that you check the following link: Fix
    Wi‑Fi connection issues in Windows 10 Mobile

If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to post a reply.

Gino Des, May 5, 2021
Thema:

WI-FI hotspot issue

1. WI-FI hotspot issue - Similar Threads - hotspot issue

2. Trying to connect my pc with phone hotspot facing issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trying to connect my pc with phone hotspot facing issue: Hi Team, Hrithik Bhardwaj this side… I am facing some issue to connect my laptop with my phone network. I have lenovo laptop and trying to connect with my phone oppo A3s it is connected but it showing No internet, secured and I almost did all the steps to troubleshoot this...
  3. Trying to connect my pc with phone hotspot facing issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Trying to connect my pc with phone hotspot facing issue: Hi Team, Hrithik Bhardwaj this side… I am facing some issue to connect my laptop with my phone network. I have lenovo laptop and trying to connect with my phone oppo A3s it is connected but it showing No internet, secured and I almost did all the steps to troubleshoot this...
  4. Windows 11 network issue with hotspot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 network issue with hotspot: Windows version is the latest one, the hotspot can be connected to other devices, laptop can connect to other networks properly. When I turn on the hotspot with name " " only a space character there, Galaxy s23+ in case needed, my laptop can not connect to it. But after I...
  5. Windows 11 network issue with hotspot

Windows 11 network issue with hotspot: Windows version is the latest one, the hotspot can be connected to other devices, laptop can connect to other networks properly. When I turn on the hotspot with name " " only a space character there, Galaxy s23+ in case needed, my laptop can not connect to it. But after I...
  6. Moblie hotspot issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moblie hotspot issues: I cannot edit the hotspot https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/moblie-hotspot-issues/56f7b017-ccc5-4bc9-abe7-daec113b7de0
  7. Moblie hotspot issues

Moblie hotspot issues: I cannot edit the hotspot https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/moblie-hotspot-issues/56f7b017-ccc5-4bc9-abe7-daec113b7de0
  8. Moblie hotspot issues

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  9. Connectivity issues in PC hotspot that is connected to a Wi-Fi network, while still being...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Connectivity issues in PC hotspot that is connected to a Wi-Fi network, while still being...: Hello Everyone,I am currently using an HP notebook Model 14s-fq1013AU that runs on Windows 11. I am experiencing two issues with regard to PC hotspot and Ethernet connectivity.Firstly, I have trouble accessing the network when I connect my mobile phone to the PC hotspot,...
  10. Connectivity issues in PC hotspot that is connected to a Wi-Fi network, while still being...

Connectivity issues in PC hotspot that is connected to a Wi-Fi network, while still being...: Hello Everyone,I am currently using an HP notebook Model 14s-fq1013AU that runs on Windows 11. I am experiencing two issues with regard to PC hotspot and Ethernet connectivity.Firstly, I have trouble accessing the network when I connect my mobile phone to the PC hotspot,...