Windows 10: Wi-Fi Hotspot to play LAN games

Discus and support Wi-Fi Hotspot to play LAN games in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I have a question regarding the innate function of windows 10, Wi-Fi Hotspot that shows up in the notifications menu. Me and my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Alessandro Meneghetti, Nov 12, 2020.

1. Wi-Fi Hotspot to play LAN games

Hello everyone, I have a question regarding the innate function of windows 10, Wi-Fi Hotspot that shows up in the notifications menu.

Me and my friends have a place to play videogames via LAN but we have neither internet connection nor a wifi router, so I wanted to use this functionality to create a LAN network and still be able to play. I've tried starting it by connecting only my pc to my phone's internet, then launching windows Hotspot and connecting all other computers to this one hotspot, but when I disconnect my phone to save internet data consumption the network automatically shuts off in a few minutes in which by the way we can play just fine.

So I wanted to ask, is there a way to use Windows hotspot without keeping my pc connected to my phone's internet?

Thanks for your patience! I hope the question is clear.

:)

Alessandro Meneghetti, Nov 12, 2020

2. Trouble Changing Wi-Fi Password

I've been following the following steps to change my Wi-Fi password for some time:

1. Launch Control Panel.
    2. Click "Network and Internet."
    3. Click "Network and Sharing Center."
    4. Click "Wi-Fi...."
    5. Click "Wireless Properties."
    6. Click the Security tab.
    7. Check "Show characters."
    8. Enter the password in "Network security key."
    Those steps have been working just fine, but today I discovered a new wrinkle. If I change the password inside the router first, "Wi-Fi..." doesn't appear in step 4. This isn't much of a problem at home, because I can just change the password in Control Panel before I change it inside the router, but it would be a problem at a public hotspot, or something of that nature. I also tested Brink's instructions in "How to Connect To a Wireless Network in Windows 10," but they don't work for me either. How can I fix this?

gregyurkon, Nov 12, 2020
  3. Zackary Win User
    Ethernet network occasionally drops when Wi-FI hotspot is on

I have a Dell Inspiron 3541 that connects to the Internet with LAN, but uses Wi-Fi hotspot to allow wireless-only devices to connect, too (Dell 1705 Wi-Fi Adapter). When I turn on Wi-Fi hotspot, the LAN disconnects, and flashes "A network change was detected". This was expected, but more errors occur when it is left on that read example.com's IP address could not be found. along with the error code (DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN).

If it helps, my computer uses Cloudflare DNS (1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1), but my wireless devices still use their default (Google DNS, 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4).

How can I fix this (make the Ethernet stop disconnecting to the computer when Wi-Fi hotspot is on)?

Zackary, Nov 12, 2020
  4. Gino Des Win User

Wi-Fi Hotspot to play LAN games

Hotspot 2.0 Wi-Fi networks

Hi Eric,

Hotspot 2.0 networks are a new wireless standard designed to make it easier and more secure to connect to public Wi-Fi hotspots. As you move around different locations and if this feature is enabled, your device will connect you to available public hotspots
    automatically. These hotspots are also more secure since encryption is mandatory.

For more information, you may refer to the following link: Sign
    up and connect to Hotspot 2.0 networks in Windows 10 Mobile

If you’re having problems getting connected to a Wi‑Fi network on your mobile device, we suggest that you check the following link: Fix
    Wi‑Fi connection issues in Windows 10 Mobile

If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to post a reply.

Gino Des, Nov 12, 2020
Thema:

Wi-Fi Hotspot to play LAN games

1. Wi-Fi Hotspot to play LAN games - Similar Threads - Hotspot play LAN

2. Wi-Fi & Lan Adapter Switching

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wi-Fi & Lan Adapter Switching: Hello Everyone I'm facing an issue regarding my Wi-Fi and LAN Network adapter. My Wi-Fi adapter is automatically disabled when I plug in the LAN cable. So, How to disable the automatic Wi-Fi disconnect when I connect my LAN cable?I'm using Windows 11 Version.I did try:to...
  3. Wi-Fi & Lan Adapter Switching

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wi-Fi & Lan Adapter Switching: Hello Everyone I'm facing an issue regarding my Wi-Fi and LAN Network adapter. My Wi-Fi adapter is automatically disabled when I plug in the LAN cable. So, How to disable the automatic Wi-Fi disconnect when I connect my LAN cable?I'm using Windows 11 Version.I did try:to...
  4. wi fi wireless lan problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    wi fi wireless lan problem: how to fix my wireless lan showing some wi fi dont exist https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wi-fi-wireless-lan-problem/e77b7e47-d7f9-425d-9d30-092915e6849f
  5. wi fi wireless lan problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    wi fi wireless lan problem: how to fix my wireless lan showing some wi fi dont exist https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wi-fi-wireless-lan-problem/e77b7e47-d7f9-425d-9d30-092915e6849f
  6. wi fi wireless lan problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Wi-fi and ethernet on same LAN?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wi-fi and ethernet on same LAN?: I have heard conflicting claims as to whether PCs connected to the same router can talk to each other when one is connected via ethernet while the other is connected by Wi-fi. In a particular case that I focus on here, I have a Win10 desktop connected to the router by...
  8. WI-FI hotspot issue

WI-FI hotspot issue: Hi!When my laptop is connected to the internet via a LAN cable and sharing it through a hotspot, the connection through the hotspot is terribly weak, while my laptop has a relatively strong connection. This is not an issue with my mobile as other devices connected to my...
  9. Wi-Fi and Lan issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Wi-Fi and Lan issue: So my laptop has been doing this weird thing. When I'm connected to wi-fi and plug in a LAN cable, my laptop will connect using the Lan but will keep using wi-fi to connect to the internet. So in order to use my lan cable i need to disconnect my wi-fi. This gets quite...
  10. WI-FI Hotspot not working

WI-FI Hotspot not working: i apologize for the errors that i will make first. So, i have a big problem with my hotspot, i can activate it of course, but i can't connect my phone, it stays blocked when it has to pick the ip adress. So i tried first to know if the problem was my phone, but nobody else...