Windows 10: Wi-Fi keeps persistently turning itself on, can't be disabled

Discus and support Wi-Fi keeps persistently turning itself on, can't be disabled in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, I have a problem quite the contrary of what people often have. Several days ago I contracted a BV:Miner-T [Trj] virus on my laptop (Asus... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by FKLow, Feb 7, 2019.

1. FKLow Win User

Wi-Fi keeps persistently turning itself on, can't be disabled

Hello,

I have a problem quite the contrary of what people often have.

Several days ago I contracted a BV:Miner-T [Trj] virus on my laptop (Asus A456Ur, if needed), which was successfully purged out of the system. However, since the time of infection I've lost control of my Wi-Fi. It can't be switched off manually (after switched off it switches itself on almost immediately). Even under Airplane/Flight Mode the Wi-Fi would toggle itself immediately on. The only successful way to disable the Wi-Fi is to disable the entire wireless driver, but it's stupid to continuously do that whenever I just want to temporarily turn the Wi-Fi off.

My wireless device driver is Qualcomm Atheros AR956x. I've thought of uninstalling then reinstalling the driver, but when I checked on the laptop's manufacturer website, it doesn't list that under the available drivers and I'm wary about downloading the driver from unknown sources.

What can I do about this problem? Is it possible that maybe it's connected to a still active virus infection? Within hours after the infection Avast had managed to block all incoming infections and on deep boot-up scan, and repeated Malwarebytes scans revealed no malware, but somehow I'm still questioning about it.

:)

FKLow, Feb 7, 2019
  2. Norton Win User

USB Wi-Fi Adapter Disabling

Is it on Windows 8's compatibility list (check MS website- forgot link)?

I had an issue with one Wi-fi adapter and it wasn't listed as compatible- All was well when I swapped it out with one on the compatibility list

Norton, Feb 7, 2019
  3. Cannot turn on wi fi

I just reset a Dell laptop for the 3rd time. For some reason I cannot connect to my wi fi network. When I go into Settings and Wi Fi, the option is to manually turn on the wi fi and the "On" slider to turn on the wi fi will not stay "On"....it just keeps
    sliding back to "Off". I have run numerous diagnostics and it will not even recognize my network. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am frustrated beyond belief...saw the same issue on this Forum and followed the suggestions and still cannot manually
    connect to the wi fi netowrk.

Thank you so much in advance.

LindaSchrieberg1, Feb 7, 2019
  4. Wi-Fi keeps persistently turning itself on, can't be disabled

Disable auto-connect to unkown Wi-Fi networks

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

We understand that you would like to disable auto-connect to Wi-Fi with unknown networks. We will certainly help you with this.

Method 1: Turn off auto connect to Wi-Fi hotspots.

1. Press Start button and Type “Network” in the search box.

2. Open Network & Internet setting window and select Wi-Fi on the left side.

3. Click on Manage Wi-Fi settings on the right panel.

4. Turn off Connect to Wi-Fi hotspots option.

Method 2: How to forget a Wi-Fi Network.
    1. Press Start button and Type “Network” in the search box.

2. Open Network & Internet setting window and select Wi-Fi on the left side.

3. Click on Manage Wi-Fi settings on the right panel and scroll down to see a list of known networks.

4. Tap the network you want to forget and click on Forget
    button.

Windows by default automatically connects to the previously connected/known Wi-Fi network. Listed below are steps to disable the automatic connection to known Wi-Fi network.

1. Right click on Wi-Fi icon and select Open Network and Sharing Center
    menu option.

2. In the Network and Sharing Center window, click the Wi-Fi connection
    link.

3. This should display the Wi-Fi Status windows.

4. Now click the Wireless Properties button in W-Fi Status.

5. Unmark the check box with label as Connect automatically when this network in range
    option available under the Wireless Network Properties window. Click
    Ok
    button to confirm and the save the changes.

If you are using Intel PROSet Wireless Tools, Then I would suggest you to try the steps from the following link suggested by DennisBarnett.

Cannot turn off 'automatically connect' option on WIFI connections

(Applies to Windows 10 also)

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Azaruddin Syed, Feb 7, 2019
Thema:

Wi-Fi keeps persistently turning itself on, can't be disabled

1. Wi-Fi keeps persistently turning itself on, can't be disabled - Similar Threads - keeps persistently turning

2. Wi-Fi on laptop periodically turns off by itself

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wi-Fi on laptop periodically turns off by itself: I downloaded the driver from the manufacturer's website, but it still turns off regularly. Then, I tried to look in the event log to find errors. And yes, I see some error messages there, maybe someone can help?It didn't help me: Reinstalling Windows, relaunching Wi-Fi...
  3. Wi-Fi on laptop periodically turns off by itself

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wi-Fi on laptop periodically turns off by itself: I downloaded the driver from the manufacturer's website, but it still turns off regularly. Then, I tried to look in the event log to find errors. And yes, I see some error messages there, maybe someone can help?It didn't help me: Reinstalling Windows, relaunching Wi-Fi...
  4. Wi-Fi on laptop periodically turns off by itself

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Wi-Fi disabling randomly.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Wi-Fi disabling randomly.: Hi. So I have been playing an online game for 2 months now. Last week, I got disconnected and I thought our Wi-Fi turned off. The Wi-Fi was working properly but when I try to connect, it says "Can't connect to this network". 1 minute after that, the Wi-Fi and drivers...
  6. Wi-fi keeps turning off and on by itself

Wi-fi keeps turning off and on by itself: my laptops internet keeps turning off and on by itself, i checked to see if it maybe was the internet itself but other devices can connect to the internet without any problems except my laptop, i’ve tried flushing the dns and all other possible ways to fix this from what ive...
  7. WLAN AutoConfic Service disables itself every 30 minutes, turning the wi-fi off

WLAN AutoConfic Service disables itself every 30 minutes, turning the wi-fi off: Hi guys. I've got a tough one for ya. I have spent over four hours with various support agents trying to resolve this strange software issue; over an hour with Asus, Microsoft support technicians -- levels 1 and 2 -- and have tried innumerable troubleshooting commands and...
  8. Can't turn off Wi-Fi

Can't turn off Wi-Fi: I am using Windows 10, and I have Ethernet. I cannot turn off my Wi-Fi, and I've already looked it up for an hour with no results helping. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/cant-turn-off-wi-fi/b684c9a4-b3c5-4418-8f80-9c4ab65ae096
  9. Wi-Fi Adapter keeps disabling itself.

Wi-Fi Adapter keeps disabling itself.: My Wi-Fi adapter kept disabling itself and now I can't enable it again, for the past few month or more when my internet connect fails I kept disabling and enabling it and now it's disabling itself. I've tried to troubleshoot it myself but all I can come up with is to restart...
  10. Wi-FI; Disable; Disconnect

Wi-FI; Disable; Disconnect: In Settings, Network and Internet are the options to disconnect or disable Wi-Fi. Please, what is the difference between the two? I am asking this because my connection has become very flaky over the last month. This taken from the Event Log of a monitoring app, mainly...