Windows 10: Wi-Fi network shows as Open when it is Secure

Discus and support Wi-Fi network shows as Open when it is Secure in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a brand new Dell XPS running Windows 10. I have connected it to my secure work Wi-Fi before without issues. Currently I am in hospital which... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Hanzel, Oct 28, 2017.

1. Hanzel Win User

Wi-Fi network shows as Open when it is Secure

I have a brand new Dell XPS running Windows 10. I have connected it to my secure work Wi-Fi before without issues.
    Currently I am in hospital which has a free Wi-Fi (secure) for its patients.
    When I search available Wi-Fi I can see the correct name for the Wi-Fi but it shows as Open and doesn't then request username or password...therefore it wont connect.
    I have spent hours with Dell phone support (can't even speak English) without any answers.
    I am in hospital for a long time so any assistance fixing this would be awesome.

ps I am pretty computer illiterate so keep it simple please

:)

Hanzel, Oct 28, 2017

2. Wi-fi not working anymore with Windows Mobile 7.

Wi-fi connection always shows an error that state that couldn't reach Wi-fi network and failed to connect, exact error "Connection unsuccessful. You phone couldn't reach the Wi-fi network {network-name}.

It does not matter if the Wi-fi network is open or secure and the type of security used, after testing we determine that the Mobile does get an IP address from the Wireless router so authentication works fine but after a few seconds it shows the error above
    and disconnects from the network.

I need to know if an update or patch will be deliver soon for Windows Mobile 7 since the Wi-fi capability is no longer working and that sucks, or if there is a workaround that can be implemented.

Thanks

M.

Marloncarpe, Oct 28, 2017
  3. Unable to log into a secure WiFi Network using Windows 10

I was unable to connect to a friend's secure Wi-Fi. When I clicked on his Wi-Fi in the list of available networks, the computer attempts to connect without prompting me to enter the Network Security Key. It then tells me it cannot connect to the network.

How can I connect to a secure Wi-Fi network using a network security key?

KrisKristinsson, Oct 28, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Welcome to the forum, Have you tried opening a browser a lot of these should open a browser which asks for username password or ward patient number

Samuria, Oct 28, 2017
  5. Hanzel Win User
    ^ thanks for the reply
    I have tried to do that it says that there is no internet connection and suggests I run the diagnosis thiny which I have done a number of times which doesn't recommend anything either

Hanzel, Oct 28, 2017
  6. bro67 Win User
    A public network like at a hospital uses a "Captive Portal", which should ask for you to agree to use it. From there, all clients connected cannot and should not see each other or any open services such as public folders if it is set up properly. You should still use a Firewall set for Public and leave the network to Public, which means that all folders and printers attached to a laptop are not shared, also password protected.

bro67, Oct 28, 2017
  7. bro67 Win User
    It should not be asking for a username, password, ward or patient number, since most public wifi for hospitals are for the public, or anyone that does not have network credentials. Taking it one step further as you suggested, would be more of a way to charge a person while staying there for use, wholly as a way to make more money, but most places just tie those costs into the cost of stay, which insurance would not pick up, but the patient would pay for it out of their co-pay.

bro67, Oct 28, 2017
  8. Hanzel Win User

You havent even tried to answer my question. Is that because you don't know the answer?
    I don't get charged to use the wi-fi (it's complimentary, and it has no limit.

Anyway, know how to fix the Windows issue anyone?

Hanzel, Oct 28, 2017
  9. bro67 Win User
    It is not a issue that you are seeing the Hotspot at the hospital as open. They do that because they use a Captive Portal as I stated on my post, which answers exactly your question and adds on to what Samuria stated. I also stated in my previous post what security measures you need to take on your laptop at all times when roaming off of your personal network.

Mark this thread as closed, since your question has been answered and there is not a problem with your laptop. If you want more information about the hospital network, ask to talk to their IT group that handles networking and they can send someone up to check to make sure your laptop is secured and explain further how a Captive Portal works.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Wi-Fi network shows as Open when it is Secure - Similar Threads - network shows Open

2. Wi-Fi networks not showing up.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wi-Fi networks not showing up.: I’m having a problem with my Windows 10 connecting to the WiFi. None of the internet names show up. I’ve searched all over the internet for some fix and I tried so many things and it doesn’t fix it. I just reset my computer and kept some files and it still didn’t work. I then...
  3. Wi-Fi networks not showing up.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wi-Fi networks not showing up.: I’m having a problem with my Windows 10 connecting to the WiFi. None of the internet names show up. I’ve searched all over the internet for some fix and I tried so many things and it doesn’t fix it. I just reset my computer and kept some files and it still didn’t work. I then...
  4. Wi-Fi networks not showing up.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Wi-Fi network not secure in windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Wi-Fi network not secure in windows 10: wi- fi not secure in windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wi-fi-network-not-secure-in-windows-10/90281db5-8e4f-4053-b8cd-12dc2ea89f47
  6. Wi – Fi Network Security

Wi – Fi Network Security: With the latest Windows update just prior to 09/07/2020 of course they had to change up where to find how to locate your wireless network password. Could you let us know how to do it now?...
  7. Wrong Wi-fi icon when connecting to a Wi-fi network

in Windows 10 Customization
    Wrong Wi-fi icon when connecting to a Wi-fi network: Last night I updated my laptop to Windows 10 2004 but then I found that the Wi-fi icon remain "No Internet Connection" and each Wi-fi network changed. I still have access to Internet but this thing make me a bit uncomfortable. What should I do to fix this problem? Thank you....
  8. Wi-Fi network not secure

Wi-Fi network not secure: how do I fix this problem https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wi-fi-network-not-secure/8e566085-6577-435c-b7ae-ad540d7b8bf9
  9. Wi-Fi network not secure in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Wi-Fi network not secure in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Like any other protocols, WiFi network security protocols get older. If you connect to a WiFi network and receive a message saying – Wi-Fi network not secure in Windows 10, it means security used by the WiFi network is a [...] This post Wi-Fi network not...
  10. Secured local wi-fi network access

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Secured local wi-fi network access: How do I block my laptop from trying to access secured local wi-fi networks? If I deselect the "connect automatically" box, it is selected the next time I check. How do I get these networks to remain deselected? It always connects to my network properly....