Windows 10: WIA stops running when Defender updates

Discus and support WIA stops running when Defender updates in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My Window Image Acquisitions stops running almost everyday. I discover this when I'm trying to scan from my printer and it says the computer is not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JimLohr, Jan 4, 2021.

1. JimLohr Win User

WIA stops running when Defender updates

My Window Image Acquisitions stops running almost everyday. I discover this when I'm trying to scan from my printer and it says the computer is not connected. When I view the computer's reliability and problem history every day after WIA stops running it shows that Windows Defender did a successful update 3 minutes later. I can only assume that the update process is some how stopping WIA. Any advice on how to fix so I don't need to open WIA every day to hit Start running again? Using windows 10 on a new Lenovo IdeaPad Flex.

:)

JimLohr, Jan 4, 2021

2. WIA Driver error Mesage

Hi Debbie,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

Here are a few more methods which you can follow:

Method 1: I suggest you to
    run the hardware troubleshooter and check the issue status.

• Press “Windows key + X”.
    • Type “Troubleshooter” in the Search box and hit enter.
    • Select “Hardware and Sound” from the Troubleshooter Window.
    • Select “Hardware and Devices” under Devices option.
    • Follow the On Screen instructions.

Method 2: I suggest you to update your scanner driver and check if it helps.

• Press Windows + R key on the keyboard.
    • Type devmgmt.msc and press enter.
    • Expand the scanner.
    • Right click on the driver and select Update driver software.

Method 3: I suggest you to check for the status of the services in Services Windows.

Follow the steps:

• Press Windows + R keys to open Run command.
    • Type Services.msc in the search box on the run command and press Enter.
    • Search for Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) service in the Services windows and look at the Status.
    • If the status of the service is stopped then start the service by right clicking on the service and select Start.

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Jan 4, 2021
  3. WIA Driver error Mesage

My scanner has stopped working and I'm getting an error message about WIA driver. It was fine a couple of days ago.

I have followed the following instructions, but still not working; same error message.

"Check if the service is running by following the steps below:

• Press Windows logo key on the keyboard, type Services and select the top most search result.
    • Locate Windows Image Acquisition services and check if the
      status shows running in the window.
    • If the status space is empty, it means the service is not running. I suggest you to start the service by highlighting the service and clicking on the
      Start service icon located on the menu bar at the top of the window.
    • Close the window and check if the changes are effective"

DebbieMiddlemass, Jan 4, 2021
  4. DanMoller Win User

WIA windows 10

WIA will not stop running and unable to scan. The only way to make it stop running is by disabling WIA and restarting computer. Unable to scan while WIA continually runs. When disabled can initiate scan from computer but when scan is initiated by scanner
    unable to scan. How can I fix WIA.

DanMoller, Jan 4, 2021
Thema:

1. WIA stops running when Defender updates - Similar Threads - WIA stops running

2. Microsoft Defender for Mac Stops Running After Update

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft Defender for Mac Stops Running After Update: Testing out Microsoft Defender for Mac for my organization. I installed version 101.78.13 on my M1 MacBook Pro 2020 running macOS 11.7 Big Sur. The app was running fine, but when it auto-updated to version 101.82.21, the app no longer runs. When trying to run it, I get the...
  3. When to stop running DISM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When to stop running DISM: I have seen two contrary viewpoints regarding DISM. Run SFC first, and only if SFC finds a problem is it necessary to run DISM. Run SFC first, and — no matter what SFC reports — you might as well run DISM after that. Then, if DISM is run, I have also seen advice that it...
  4. When to stop running DISM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When to stop running DISM: I have seen two contrary viewpoints regarding DISM. Run SFC first, and only if SFC finds a problem is it necessary to run DISM. Run SFC first, and — no matter what SFC reports — you might as well run DISM after that. Then, if DISM is run, I have also seen advice that it...
  5. WIA and slides

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    WIA and slides: For some time I've been scanning old 35 mm slides into Photoshop. When I was obliged to upgrade to Windows 10 I found the Photoshop version there had 'WIA support.' This involved the 'support' coming up with a perfect image of 4 slides in their scanner slide holder. Not...
  6. Missing WIA

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Missing WIA: The WIA is missing from my Win 10 pro system. Its not in Services.msc. I can't link up my scanners. I can't see how to repair the windows installation. Any ideas? Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/missing-wia/997b4094-d096-40f3-92a6-9f4817e20d92
  7. Windows Defender Updates stopped

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender Updates stopped: The last time I had a Windows Defender update was on Oct 4th. Every time I manually update, it tells me I am up to date. Is there a reason that this would have stopped? I also use Webroot as well, but I have always done so and I have always received Windows Defender...
  8. Driver 260ci WIA

Driver 260ci WIA: Troubleshoot cannot fix this problem. What can I do ? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/driver-260ci-wia/fe3e8763-ef6f-497b-bead-c3fc5d6a0621
  9. WIA Driver

WIA Driver: Hi I am trying to get my Canon i-sensys MF4780W printer's scanner to work from my laptop. I get message WIA Driver required to perform this action. I have windows 10, 64 bit. My WIA driver is running. Please can I get some advice on this matter. Marinda...
  10. Stop run-amok-update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Stop run-amok-update: How do I interrupt a TEN-HOUR-LONG-AND-STILL-GOING-STRONG backup?! without losing backup data? MS apparently failed to anticipate is, that people don't turn on History, because laptops only come with ONE DRIVE, write, copy, and migrate a bunch of data to the new machine....