Windows 10: WIA stuck in Starting status. Unable to connect my scanner

Discus and support WIA stuck in Starting status. Unable to connect my scanner in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Since installing new computer with Windows 10 the WIA stuck in Starting status. Unable to connect my scanner... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by GeriannMitchell, Jan 4, 2020.

1. WIA stuck in Starting status. Unable to connect my scanner

Since installing new computer with Windows 10 the WIA stuck in Starting status. Unable to connect my scanner

:)

GeriannMitchell, Jan 4, 2020

2. computer does not recognize scanner says WIA driver missing

Hi,

Solution 1: Restart Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) Service

1. Type services in the search box, and then you will see services application is on the best match position. Open the services desktop application.

2. Find the Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) in the services.

3. Right-click Windows Image Acquisition and select Properties from the context menu.

4. In WIA services properties, select the startup type as Automatic. And then click Start button in service status.

Tips: if the services status is running, try to stop it and then restart it again.

After you click the start button, windows 10 is attempting to start the WIA service on local computer. The process takes several seconds.

5. After the services control finish, click OK button.

6. Follow above steps to start other two services: Shell Hardware Detection and Remote Procedure Call (RPC).

After that, you can use the printer and scanner to test if it needs WIA driver when scanning.

Solution 2: Uninstall Scanner Driver

1. Open device manager and expand the Imaging devices.

2. Find the scanner and right-click it to select Uninstall.

Then the scanner driver will be uninstalled in your Windows 10.

3. Restart your computer, system will scan all the devices and install Windows 10 WIA driver for your scanner. And now, when you scan the documents, it can copy files properly.

Solution 3: Update Scanner WIA Driver

If the computer cannot help to install the WIA drivers correctly, you should do this thing by yourself. And sometimes, after you upgrade system to Windows 10, the incompatible or corrupted scanner driver may cause this problem. And there are two ways you can
    do to update WIA drivers for your scanner.

As the error remind, there is a CD containing WIA drivers for your Scanner, so reboot the CD with the CD/DVD drive to install the WIA driver step by step. But if you cannot find the CD media, you should go to the manufacturer’s website such as HP, Dell, Epson,
    Fujitsu.

1. Enter the scanner manufacturer’s website to find the scanner drivers and firmware, download them manually.

2. Install the scanner driver and update firmware step by step.

Solution 4: Troubleshoot for your Scanner

If the Scanner appears the error of “You need a WIA driver to use this device”, you can troubleshoot to fix the WIA driver missing problem. It is an automatic tool which can help to fix all the scanners whatever it is, Canon scanner, HP scanner or Dell scanner.

1. Go here: Windows > Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot.

2. Find Hardware and Device, and then click Run the Troubleshooter.

It will start scanning all your Windows system devices including Scanner and find the Scanner error and then repair it automatically.

Tips: If you are using a printer which contains the scanning function, you can also choose to troubleshoot the printer.

I think these three solutions will help to solve WIA driver disappearing problem. And if the scanner cannot scan, you can do a system restore to solve it if you want.

MilagrosM2020, Jan 4, 2020
  3. WIA Driver error Mesage

Hi Debbie,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

Here are a few more methods which you can follow:

Method 1: I suggest you to
    run the hardware troubleshooter and check the issue status.

• Press “Windows key + X”.
    • Type “Troubleshooter” in the Search box and hit enter.
    • Select “Hardware and Sound” from the Troubleshooter Window.
    • Select “Hardware and Devices” under Devices option.
    • Follow the On Screen instructions.

Method 2: I suggest you to update your scanner driver and check if it helps.

• Press Windows + R key on the keyboard.
    • Type devmgmt.msc and press enter.
    • Expand the scanner.
    • Right click on the driver and select Update driver software.

Method 3: I suggest you to check for the status of the services in Services Windows.

Follow the steps:

• Press Windows + R keys to open Run command.
    • Type Services.msc in the search box on the run command and press Enter.
    • Search for Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) service in the Services windows and look at the Status.
    • If the status of the service is stopped then start the service by right clicking on the service and select Start.

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Jan 4, 2020
  4. WIA stuck in Starting status. Unable to connect my scanner

WIA Driver error Mesage

My scanner has stopped working and I'm getting an error message about WIA driver. It was fine a couple of days ago.

I have followed the following instructions, but still not working; same error message.

"Check if the service is running by following the steps below:

• Press Windows logo key on the keyboard, type Services and select the top most search result.
    • Locate Windows Image Acquisition services and check if the
      status shows running in the window.
    • If the status space is empty, it means the service is not running. I suggest you to start the service by highlighting the service and clicking on the
      Start service icon located on the menu bar at the top of the window.
    • Close the window and check if the changes are effective"

DebbieMiddlemass, Jan 4, 2020
Thema:

WIA stuck in Starting status. Unable to connect my scanner

1. WIA stuck in Starting status. Unable to connect my scanner - Similar Threads - WIA stuck Starting

2. My Wifi Status IPv4 Connectivity as No Network Status

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Wifi Status IPv4 Connectivity as No Network Status: Last night, my laptop could not seem to connect to the internet using our main wifi router. We have two - which is our main router and an extender. My laptop can connect to the extender without any problem, but can’t do the same for the 5ghz and 2.4ghz bands of the main...
  3. My Wifi Status IPv4 Connectivity as No Network Status

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My Wifi Status IPv4 Connectivity as No Network Status: Last night, my laptop could not seem to connect to the internet using our main wifi router. We have two - which is our main router and an extender. My laptop can connect to the extender without any problem, but can’t do the same for the 5ghz and 2.4ghz bands of the main...
  4. Unable to connect scanner

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to connect scanner: Trying to connect an Epson Perfection 1660 photo scanner to my pc but despite downloading driver my pc wont even recognise that my scanner is connected to it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-connect-scanner/edb7311d-6718-42ef-8814-acfd4619c8b3
  5. Connecting my scanner to the computer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Connecting my scanner to the computer: I need help connecting my scanner to the computer. It currently prints but wont scan to it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/connecting-my-scanner-to-the-computer/cffbb557-c4a0-4a0f-9419-877e411ebd76
  6. Scanner requires a WIA Driver

Scanner requires a WIA Driver: My Canon MG3650 printer /scanner has suddenly developed a problem. When I click on the scanner a message appears saying I need a WIA Driver to use this device. Canon UK are unable to help, saying it is a Windows Driver. Can somebody help me please, I have tried everything....
  7. Unable to connect Asus laptop to the scanner

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to connect Asus laptop to the scanner: I use PrimeFilm 1800 scanner which I cannot connect to the Asus laptop. I tried a lot of variants to connect these devices then I did troubleshooting, reinstalled software but with no avail....
  8. computer does not recognize scanner says WIA driver missing

computer does not recognize scanner says WIA driver missing: Lenovo desktop using windows 10 will not recognise Canon MG5660 scanner says WIA driver missing. All other features of Photocopier work It was scanning successfully before....
  9. Unable to connect to Scanner using Windows 10

Unable to connect to Scanner using Windows 10: I am not being able to access my epson scanner. no problem using the printer, but the PC lately is not able to find the scanner regardless that it is an all in one EPSON WF 3640...
  10. Scanner will not start

Scanner will not start: My Epson'V330 Perfection' has been working fine until few days ago, since then when using the desktop shortcut it will not start, all that happens is the icon briefly appears in the task bar then disappears.I have checked the cable which seems OK, the scanner switches on Ok...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. scanner wia can not connect

2. wia service not starting

3. fujitsu 6130z scanner cannot find scanner www.windowsphoneinfo.com

4. windows image acquisition says starting,
  5. windows image acquisition service stuck starting,
  6. why is windows wia saying starting