Windows 10: Widevine/DRM causes OS instability

Discus and support Widevine/DRM causes OS instability in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hello. I have not been able to use any of my digital services: Netflix, HBO Max or Prime Video due to the fact that, every time I click on protected... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by BeanIT, Sep 28, 2022.

1. BeanIT Win User

Widevine/DRM causes OS instability

Hello. I have not been able to use any of my digital services: Netflix, HBO Max or Prime Video due to the fact that, every time I click on protected content, the system goes bananas. This is what happens:1. Log on to DRM protected site such as Netflix -> No problem.2. Browse through snippets of content -> No Problem.3. When I click on any content to watch: 3.1. Two out of my 3 monitors go black. 3.2 System becomes incredibly sluggish and unresponsive, forcing me to end the task on the browser via Task Manager,4. Upon ending the task of the browser running the DRM content, everythin

:)

BeanIT, Sep 28, 2022

2. Probably a Widevine (DRM-decoding) problem

Try using Edge. Both Chrome and Firefox suffer from the latest Widevine code that causes huge spikes in CPU consumption for DRM-protected streaming. Firefox may allow you to disable it but then you may get no streaming at all, depending on the site.

Edge definitely does much better with DRM. It recently added Widevine to its repertoire but only for 4K, I believe.

- - - Updated - - -

After disabling the capability a few years ago, Chrome once again allows you to disable the defective Widevine code. That should result in getting lower-quality video or perhaps none at all from sites using DRM, but at least it will be stutter-free.

However, Edge remains the best solution until Widevine gets repaired.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    By default, you can view protected content. For example, if you buy a movie on Google Play Movies, you can watch it in Chrome.

If you don't want to see protected content, you can block sites from playing it. When you try to play certain movies or music, you might see an error and the content won't play.

On your computer, open Chrome.
    At the top right, click More More and then Settings.
    At the bottom, click Advanced.
    Under "Privacy and security," click Site settings.
    Click Protected Content.
    Turn off Allow sites to play protected content.

Tom Martin, Sep 28, 2022
  3. Widevine for Windows 10 Universal App

I have to build a Windows 10 Universal App for video streaming and I already use the Widevine DRM to my videos on other platforms ( Android & iOS ). So, does Windows 10 Universal App support WidevineDRM ?

Thank you Widevine/DRM causes OS instability :)

Jaturong Thongkam, Sep 28, 2022
  4. Brink Win User

Why DRM Crashes Games on 12th Gen Intel Processors

Source: Why Can Digital Rights Management (DRM) Crash Some Games on 12th Gen...

See also:

Brink, Sep 28, 2022
Thema:

1. Widevine/DRM causes OS instability - Similar Threads - Widevine DRM causes

2. DRM on bought movies

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DRM on bought movies: I have already bought Brave from Moves & TV and I downloaded it. I thought it can be transferred to my personal device and watch it everywhere. However, I found the downloaded movie is protected by DRM, so I can't open it in any other applicaitons.I wonder if it is really...
  3. Gaming instability

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Gaming instability: My gaming PC has become near useless for gaming in the recent month with each game crashing to desktop either immediately at launch or half an hour into play. I'm not sure what's causing my issues as I've uninstalled and reinstalled everything including windows 3 times. I'm...
  4. Widevine/DRM causes OS instability

Widevine/DRM causes OS instability: Hello. I have not been able to use any of my digital services: Netflix, HBO Max or Prime Video due to the fact that, every time I click on protected content, the system goes bananas. This is what happens:1. Log on to DRM protected site such as Netflix -> No problem.2. Browse...
  5. Missing DRM on WMA

Missing DRM on WMA: I interviewed my grandfather about his life story and made CDs on my laptop. I lost that laptop and so I ripped the CD audio to another laptop. That laptop crashed but I managed to retrieve the WMA files from the hard drive. That hard drive is gone too now. Now I cannot play...
  6. DRM

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DRM: Good day all, I trust that everyone is doing well and rising above the circumstances COVID-19 i do hope and trust that this mail find the team and family in good health......my purpose for writing today is that whenever I want to watch certain news feeds or stations they are...
  7. excel file causes instability in "windows explorer"

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    excel file causes instability in "windows explorer": When I open an excel file by double clicking on the name in windows explorer, the file opens OK but at the same time, the explorer file list jumps up and down as it lists and de-lists the excel temp file. It is very distracting. I can close the explorer window or simply...
  8. Windows 1809 update causing SERIOUS instability!

Windows 1809 update causing SERIOUS instability!: An expensive, very, custom ASUS running PERFECTLY for 18 months now, in spite of Microsoft force-feeding 'feature' updates into it (has nobody at Microsoft ever entertained the idea that some of us could not care any less about having new 'features'?). That was until the...
  9. wifi instability

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    wifi instability: My WIFI connection from my ASUS X550CA laptop periodically drops while I'm online and can only reconnect after a reboot of the laptop. Many other devices in the house remain connected with no problem, so I believe it is isolated to this device which is running Windows 10...
  10. NVIDIA Driver causes system instability and BSOD in Lenovo Y510P

NVIDIA Driver causes system instability and BSOD in Lenovo Y510P: I am currently running the 358.50 version of GeForce drivers, however there are newer ones available (361.43). For some reason when I tried updating, my system got really unstable and eventually blue screened with KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE. When I rebooted it was fine,...